It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2007, 02:22 PM   #1
(female)

Proverbs3:5 HB User
FLAT and very slow-go stool

I have had increasingly flat stools and got a sigmoidoscopy ordered by the dr. when he ruled out a colonoscopy due to the fact I said they weren't bloody. The sigmoidoscopy was very normal and though relieved by this news, I am still frustrated by my condition. Because my BMs take sometimes over an hour (I make sure I am DONE to avoid any more BMs during the day) I have recently resorted to occasional ready-to-use enemas--an expensive habit. I would like to know how I can remedy this problem as naturally as possible. Also, the enema idea doesn't seem too healthy to do on a regular basis---at least that's my gut (pardon the pun) feeling. I just started to try psyllium but not totally pleased with the bloating it causes. I think the trick is finding something that stimulates me like an enema does such a good job at.

Old 02-20-2007, 07:53 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Re: FLAT and very slow-go stool

I think your best bet is to stick with the psyllium. It is a bulking agent and a soluble fiber that absorbs fluids.
It has worked for me for 23 years!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-01-2007, 01:45 PM   #3
(female)

Thanks for the advice Harry. I have been taking the pure psyllium for the last week with good results. Not as flat, broken-up stools. I still take too long but hoping that will change as I take this stuff longer. I still use the enema but after I have gone as much as I can without help and so basically the enema gets the little bit that is left, sort of like a douche. Also, I only use like an 1/4 of the bottle and it's the saline kind. I am wondering if this is damaging in time which I hope not since I feel so done all day when I use it.

Old 03-01-2007, 02:23 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

Proverbs,

I am not a believer in using enamas except when you are really constipated.

Just increase the psyllium fiber until it is enough for you along with the type food you eat.
My wife takes psyllium in a capsule form and she takes 3 -- 870mg caps both after breakast and after supper(dinner for some folks).

She does this because the powder form bloats her too much and hurts the hiatal hernia she has been blessed with!!

We both feel done until we need to go again!

Last edited by Harry; 03-01-2007 at 02:25 PM.

Old 03-01-2007, 10:45 PM   #5
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry View Post
Proverbs,

I am not a believer in using enamas except when you are really constipated.

Just increase the psyllium fiber until it is enough for you along with the type food you eat.
My wife takes psyllium in a capsule form and she takes 3 -- 870mg caps both after breakast and after supper(dinner for some folks).

She does this because the powder form bloats her too much and hurts the hiatal hernia she has been blessed with!!

We both feel done until we need to go again!
Doesn't this make for more than one BM bathroom visit? I usually have to just go once in the AM and am glad that's it cause I would hate to have to use a public restroom for that sort of business.

Old 03-02-2007, 12:07 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

I think most of us don't like public rest rooms-- they are just not in our Comfort Zone and many are not clean.

I usually have 1 BM daily but there are days that I have 2 or 3 daily.
But, this is not because of the fiber supplement but what I eat.

I have found that some insoluble fiber in excess cause extra BMs-- like grapes, apples, prunes and nuts and even cantalope.
Also, too much cereal that contains too much dietary fiber.

Psyllium is a soluble fiber and is a bulking agent whereas insoluble fiber causes intestine muscles to contract to make the digested food move through your intestines.

Closed Thread