It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2007, 06:49 AM   #1
Inactive
(male)

jrb112476 HB User
Today is Day 1 of 2....

Today at 3:00 I start my prep for my colonoscopy....I got the trilyte stuff to drink and flavored it with lemon lime.....in an almost weird kind of way, im glad im doing this so I can clean my colon out...ive heard its good to do that from time to time...anyone have any suggestions to make this as easy as possible?? I go in tomorrow morning at 7 for my test.....im having this test because for 8 months off and on ive been having lots of gas, bloating, constipation, loose stools and rectal discomfort...if anyone can give me any info on my symptoms, i would really appreciate it

Old 02-22-2007, 08:23 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Re: Today is Day 1 of 2....

jrb,

You will find out WHY your cleanout Prep has been describe here -- as the "Prep from Hell". You will need to be very near a toilet when the movements start. Travel time will be cut to almost Zero!!

A good thing to have on hand is Lanacane ointment to sooth a burning anus when finished.

Your symptoms sound like the good friendly bacteria in your digestive tract has gotten out of balance causing bloating and gas.

It can be helped by re-balancing the friendly bacteria. Eating some yogurt 3 or 4 times daily that contains alot of active cultures. The better types are usually found at Health Food Stores. Also, drinking Kefir daily will also help -- it is loaded with good types of bacteria.

Your digestive system bacteria can get out of balance for many reasons-- a round of antibiotics kills off the bad bacteria as well as the friendly type--- other medications also affects the digestive system.
Too much salty, sugary or spicy foods or drinks can affect the bacteria balance. Also, alcohol does affects the friendly bacteria adversely.
Processed food just contains too much preservatives and no digestive enzymes -- that screws up your digestion.

For constipation and loose stools you probably need to take a water soluble fiber supplement daily to make you have regular BMs w/o straining.

I have been using psyllium for 23 years -- I use the Equate brand from Wal Mart -- the Orange flavor sugar free powder form that is mixed with water comparable to Metamucil but less costly.

It is safe to take daily and it is a natural fiber so it does breakdown with digestion and ferments causing GAS. But, as your system gets use to it -- the gas will go away.

I have found there is no way of getting enough soluble fiber in a normal diet w/o a fiber supplement.

I wish you well---Harry

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2007, 08:27 AM   #3
Veteran
(male)

Grehound27 HB User

A good thing to have on hand is Lanacane ointment to sooth a burning anus when finished.

Also, Wet Wipes help alot.
Good luck with your Cscope tomorrow.

Dave

Old 02-22-2007, 09:05 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

jrb112476 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grehound27 View Post

Also, Wet Wipes help alot.
Good luck with your Cscope tomorrow.

Dave
thank all of you for your help!!

Old 02-22-2007, 01:45 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

jrb112476 HB User

i just started drinking my prep at 3:00...its not as bad tasting as i thought....im just ready for my insides to explode

Old 02-22-2007, 03:56 PM   #6
(female)

maggiemoo HB User

Good luck with your prep. Once you start going, you might just take a book or magazine in the bathroom and hang out in there.

I normally recommend that people give themselves a pedicure while they are on the stool but seeing that you are male--maybe not. Of course, if you want to give the medical staff something to chuckle about--I would suggest bright red toenail polish.

Maggie

Old 02-22-2007, 07:01 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)

jrb112476 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiemoo View Post
Good luck with your prep. Once you start going, you might just take a book or magazine in the bathroom and hang out in there.

I normally recommend that people give themselves a pedicure while they are on the stool but seeing that you are male--maybe not. Of course, if you want to give the medical staff something to chuckle about--I would suggest bright red toenail polish.

Maggie
lol..thanks maggie..i just finished and it really wasnt that bad...hopefully the test will come out ok

Old 02-23-2007, 11:29 PM   #8
(male)

adj2849 HB User

Well how was the test??

Old 02-24-2007, 12:30 AM   #9
(female)

nikki2006 HB User

jrb.. just checkin in to see how it went?

Closed Thread