It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2007, 01:58 AM   #1
(male)

Dang12 HB User
Question Anal Fissure- What to Do?

Based on my last thread, I have concluded that I have an anal fissure. For the past month, I have had trouble with BM because I guess my stool is dry and large. As a result, I guess it cut my lining. I have blood on my toilet paper for the past few weeks. I initially assumed it was because I was wiping alot and that irritated the lining but Im sure I now have a fissure.

What scared the hell out of me about an hour ago was that this BM was more painful and there was alot more blood. Not only that, the blood was in the toilet which was different because usually the only blood present was when I wipe. Not only that, there was quite a bit more blood then last times. I was so distraught about the site that I immediately flushed, which is stupid of me because I should have looked investiaged more.

Im assuming earlier I had a small fissure and this BM enlarged it causing more bleeding. The thing is though, I have no pain afterwards and the bleeding stops once I wipe it. So basically I am only in pain and bleeding during my BM.

My main questions are:
-what to change in my diet?
-whether I need to see a doctor?
-How long it takes to heal?

I read to drink more water which I am doing. I always hearthe phrase 'eat more fiber." What foods have fiber? I do not eat alot of vegetables but I do take multimvitamins daily.

I really do not want to see a doctor, I am currently in college and have a very full schedule during the week. Espesically with spring break in a few weeks, all my classes have exams coming up. Should I see a doctor? I was scared because of the blood but I now realize that this is just a cut in the anus, I just got scared because I guess people assoicated bloody stool with other very severe problems.

Finally, how long does it take to heal? I have read fissures take a few weeks to one report which said fissures heal "instanteously." My only concern here is that my bm will continue to open up my fissure and not allow it to heal. However, since I have to have BM its not something I can really control. Im assuming the anal layer is special and can hear even with BM.

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-24-2007, 02:20 AM   #2
(female)

nikki2006 HB User
Re: Anal Fissure- What to Do?

i suggest you go to a dr.. self diagnosing is in my opion ok except you then need to make sure you are correct by getting checked out by a doctor.. you could go about changing your diet and waiting for it to heal and then find that it doesnt work because you needed medical intervention!

Old 02-24-2007, 03:02 AM   #3
(male)

Dang12 HB User
Question Re: Anal Fissure- What to Do?

I will go to the doctors if you guys feel I should. What type of doctor should I see?

I thought I would wait a few weeks to see how things go. I cant go anyways until monday because its the weekend. Do you guys think I should go to the hospital? Last time I went there for an unrelated problem I waited for about ten hours until I saw a doctor.

Again, I dont want to make it look like I am in denial about my fissure. I realize I have one but I feel going immediately to the doctor is not appropriate until after I give it 1-2 weeks. Plus in two weeks I have spring break so I can go to the doctors as many times as needed.

I know its a fissure because the problem always resulted when my stool was too large to pass. As a result, it obviously must have cut the lining which caused the bleeding. I am in pain only during my BM and the bleeding stops once I wipe it, so no bleeding except during my BM. I am in no pain while sitting, I feel totally normal besides when during my BM.

I had heard that the fissure will stop bleeding or at least the bleeding will die down after a while, Is that true? Its just the fact that there was alot more blood this time really worried me.

Im gonna call my parents and tell them and im sure they will tell me to go to the ER.

Also what should I eat? I would rather just take pills or metamucil.

Thanks

Last edited by Dang12; 02-24-2007 at 04:06 AM.

Old 02-24-2007, 08:23 AM   #4
(male)

Dang12 HB User

I went to the store and got metamucil, stool softener, wheat bread, raisin bran cereal, and salad.

Anything else?

If I just took the metamucil and stool softener everyday, will these correct my problem?

Last edited by Dang12; 02-24-2007 at 09:20 AM.

Old 02-24-2007, 11:25 AM   #5
(female)

nikki2006 HB User

Dang, you seem very sure you know what is wrong however what i am worried about is the fact that you could be wrong. there are many causes out there that you may not no about so i really dont think you should be assuming you know what is..

You dont apear to be in a medical emergencey so i wouldnt rush up to the hospital and wait 10 hours but i would make an appointment with your regular gp for monday and go see him/her.. the doctor will tell you what to do and if you need to see anyone else..

Old 02-24-2007, 09:31 PM   #6
(male)

Dang12 HB User

I understand your concerns. However, the blood only resulted when my stool was large and dry and when I had trouble passing it. I never had any blood in the few times I didnt have trouble passing it.

I will closely monitor it and if the bleeding persists for another week then I will see a doctor.

Thanks

Old 02-25-2007, 01:11 AM   #7
(female)

jgirl234 HB User

maybe you should try stool softeners so it'll pass easier?

Old 02-25-2007, 08:00 AM   #8
(female)

purpleladyfish HB User

I agree with nikki, you should at least call your family doctor. Although it does sound like it is a fissure there are other diseases that can actually cause fissures. It sounds like you have large, dry stools because you are constipated. You mentioned that you take a multivitamin, this could be one of the causes of your constipation. I, personally, can't take a "multivitamin" but have to only take certain vitamins. There is too much iron, for my metabolism, in the multivitamins and causes constipation for me. The key to healing your fissure, if that is what it is, is to make sure you are maintaining a high fiber diet both through the foods you eat and a supplement. Drink plenty of fluids during the day and avoid the things that tend to bind or harden the stool. You want to keep your stool soft and bulked up so that it passes easily without tearing the fissure open every time you have a bm. Sitz baths are also a must, especially after having a bm. They will help to keep the area clean and to help relax the anal sphincter muscle so it does not spasm and hinder the healing process or cause pain. These should be taken at least four times a day and especially after having a bm. You mentioned that the only pain you have is actually during the bm but not after, you are in the early stages and can get this under control now but you must be diligent about it. You don't want this to get worse and you definitely want to change your lifestyle to keep it from happening again in the future. I don't know what your regular diet is or how much fluid you take in daily but fissures are a result of passing large, hard stools that tear the lining of the anus. Keeping yourself from becoming constipated everyday is important. Your body is telling you something, listen to it. Hope things get better for you.

Old 02-25-2007, 06:01 PM   #9
(male)

Dang12 HB User

I did get stool softener as stated in my previous post.

After taking the softener and metamucil my first bm after the very bloody one had no pain and no blood. While I understand your concerns, I cannot imagine it being something more severe when right after having smaller wetter stool I have no pain and no blood.

Thanks

Closed Thread