It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2007, 11:26 AM   #1
(female)

Majin_Koenma HB User
Arrow How narrow is too narrow?

I am a 25 year old female and just today I noticed that my stool was narrower than usual. I know that this can be a symptom of cancer, but when my grandmother had her colonoscopy the doctor told my mother that stool had to be pencil thin to indicate a problem. So my question is, how narrow is too narrow? Is one bowel movement that is somewhat narrower then usual cause for alarm, or am I just being a hypochondriac?

Old 02-24-2007, 02:07 PM   #2
(male)

larsh74 HB User
Re: How narrow is too narrow?

Hopefully you are just overreacting. I do not know if there is a certain diameter that is considred too narrow. If the problem persists you should probably call a doctor. Most likely there is nothing to worry about but it is better to be safe with these types of things.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-24-2007, 10:43 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

A stool is suppose to be about the diameter of a quarter.

A water soluble fiber supplement is a stool bulking agent as well as a BM regulator and it's safe to take daily.

I have used psyllium for 23 years-- I now use the Equate brand from Wal Mart-- the orange flavored sugar free powder form that you mix with water.

Thin stools also indicate that you are intaking too much insoluble fiber. It moves through your intestines faster.

I wish you well---Harry

Last edited by Harry; 02-24-2007 at 10:47 PM.

Old 02-27-2007, 07:29 AM   #4
(male)

norton54 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry View Post
A stool is suppose to be about the diameter of a quarter.

A water soluble fiber supplement is a stool bulking agent as well as a BM regulator and it's safe to take daily.

I have used psyllium for 23 years-- I now use the Equate brand from Wal Mart-- the orange flavored sugar free powder form that you mix with water.

Thin stools also indicate that you are intaking too much insoluble fiber. It moves through your intestines faster.

I wish you well---Harry
I go to the bathroom so much better when I drink this stuff, but how do you get over the gas? I have so much fatulence after comsuming ANY kind of extra fiber that nobody can stand to be around me.

Old 02-27-2007, 07:45 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by norton54 View Post
I go to the bathroom so much better when I drink this stuff, but how do you get over the gas?.

I have found that gas will go away with continued use of a water soluble fiber like psyllium but sometimes it take several weeks.
Natural fibers like psyllium does breakdown with digestion and it ferments --producing alot gas. You have to start off slow if you want to use this type fiber.

Citrucel is not a natrual fiber and produce no gas.
You may want to try using it.

Harry

Old 02-28-2007, 02:30 PM   #6
(male)

norton54 HB User

Thanks Harry. I need something.

Old 03-08-2007, 02:52 AM   #7
(female)

ATootsie HB User

What do you think of Metamucill? Does it work as well as the other stuff? If you take it in smaller doses does that help with the gas it causes? My Dr. recommended it but it give me such gas I quit using it! I too have prblems going! Some times I'm constipated and sometimes I have diahrea. Toots

Old 03-08-2007, 05:55 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Toots,
If you start off slow there will be less gas as your system gets use toit and as you continue the gas will go away.

I have taken it twice daily for 23 years and it will regulate you w/o staining. But, it does breakdown with digestion and ferments producing the gas -- just continue.

I now use the Equate brand from Wal Mart-- it works well.

Harry

Closed Thread