It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2007, 07:51 AM   #1
(male)

baldy_1812 HB User
Bowel movements - Anyone have probs with wheat?

Im still trying to find out the cause of my bowel movements (always loose and seem to go 2-4 times a day) Im thinking of cutting out wheat next, maybe bread could be a factor. Was just wondering if anyone else has wheat problems. Surely im not allergic to it because i would obviously require meds but is it possible it could cause my probs?

Old 02-25-2007, 09:45 AM   #2
(female)

pugluver31902 HB User
Re: Bowel movements - Anyone have probs with wheat?

You can have a wheat intolerance and the only symtom be loose stools. I was diagnosed with Celiac disease which is an auto immune disorder to gluten (wheat, oats, barely, and rye) and I was completely asymptomatic. I had no symptoms at all! Thats not uncommon. If you do have a wheat intolerance, I have never heard of anyone taking medication for it. You just dont eat it! Lol. If you do try and cut out wheat, make sure you read all the labels. It can hide EVERYWHERE under names like "modified food starch" and stuff. There are many names wheat goes by, and can be in everything from dressings, to sprinkles, to ketchup.

Last edited by pugluver31902; 02-25-2007 at 09:47 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-25-2007, 10:13 AM   #3
(female)

puddingandpie7 HB User

Hi, I suffered badly from same as you for about a year, my doctor put it down basically to "IBS" and I was actually panicked to think I would have that forever, although i then cut out wheat from my diet and within A DAY my tummy was better, it was amazing! I defiantely reccomend trying it. Stress also can cause havock with your bowels and so can smoking.

Top items to cut out to help with your sort of trouble: Dairy, Wheat, Lactose, Sugar, Alcohol.

Cutting out wheat is quite simple, just check all labels you can still eat rice and potatoes!

Old 02-25-2007, 11:43 AM   #4
(female)

pugluver31902 HB User

Puddingandpie7, were you ever tested for Celiac disease?

Old 02-26-2007, 04:20 AM   #5
(female)

puddingandpie7 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugluver31902 View Post
Puddingandpie7, were you ever tested for Celiac disease?
Yes, hi I was very recently and also for Inflammatory bowel disease, they all came back clear. Made me feel happy, but then I would rather be able to pinpoint exactly what is wrong with me... I think wheat intolerance plays a huge part though!

Old 02-26-2007, 12:11 PM   #6
(female)

pugluver31902 HB User

Did you have the blood test or the biopsy- if you dont mind me asking (you dont have to answer). I know that the blood test very frequently can show a false negative. I was just wondering.

Old 02-26-2007, 01:03 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User

I think it's really great that people are looking to dietary issues related to their bowel probs. Most of us have to be pretty much self-motivated to do that, as the docs, esp. in the USA, have been pretty slow even to get on to the celiac diagnosis bandwagon.

FWIW, there are a number of different types of reactions to wheat & gluten that can be problematic. Most serious is celiac, the autoimmune one puglover described. There is also wheat/gluten allergy, which is immunolgical in nature, but involves the IgE class antibodies rather than the IgA/IgG class of celiac. And last of all, there is "gluten sensitivity/intolerance" -- where immunological status is either not known (not tested) OR where all antibodies are negative.

I have one teen with severe gluten allergy (headaches, bloating, wicked gas, constipation), an older child with both "latent celiac disease" plus wheat allergy (severe diarrhea & fatigue), and myself ... gluten intolerant, no antibodies, but 5 decades of severe IBS spasms. ALL of us "cured" with gluten-free diet. I don't claim to be an expert in this subject, but my experience with gluten issues over the past 7 years has been ... unusual.

For those contemplating a gluten-free diet, the best resource I can recommend is Living Gluten-Free for Dummies by Danna Korn, an author who is both authoritative as well as highly readable.

Best wishes.

Old 02-26-2007, 08:31 PM   #8
(female)

pugluver31902 HB User

For the above poster, I see that you have kids. I just wanted to recommend the book "Beyond Ricecakes" to you. It has a lot of great teen friendly appetizers and desserts, plus great dinners. And they are all easy! I love that book.

Old 02-27-2007, 07:11 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User

Thanks, pugluver, I'll keep that title in mind. Best wishes.

Closed Thread