It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2007, 05:24 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

_mystictiger_ HB User
Diverticullitis

Hi,

My 85 year old Gran was diagnosed with Diverticullitis on friday after having constipation varying to extreme diahreehea and severe abdominal pains that feel like labour for 3 years.

What is diverticullitis and how is it treated? I read up some info on it but Im hoping for someone who has this to give me some info. A more personal experience approach shall we say. She does have very mild bleeding from her rectal when she strains herself and her gastro doc knows about this.

Thanks

Old 02-26-2007, 02:48 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

stick2013 HB User
Re: Diverticullitis

Hi,

Diverticulitis......Painful, and can be life threatening if not taken care of. The pouches withing the intestines collect stuff, and can get infected. If not taken care of they can perforate, and then you are looking at emergency sugery. Sometimes surgery is needed anyway.

Some Dr's believe that a special diet of NO SEEDS, and NO nuts of any kind. Others don't think that this is the cause. Both groups agree that MORE FIBER is needed in the diet to keep things moving along.....So have you gran EAT lots more fruit, and veggies, oatmeal, or maybe a fiber substitute for her would be ok...

Sid

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-27-2007, 04:17 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

_mystictiger_ HB User

Hiya Sid. Thank you for your reply. She's eating loads of fibre now. Has been since this all started and also eats fruit and veg every day for her other medical problems (diabetes, heart disease, high BP, blood disorder, etc).

I'll increase her fiber intake though and see if this helps. She had a bad flare up of it yesterday. She literally could not stop going and was in agony. Imodium finally worked at bed time and she stopped going luckily. She was in so much pain that I was hesitating whether to ring the GP or not.

Because she sometimes passes blood when she strains herself, does this mean anything in relation to the diverticulitis? Im new to this bowel problem. Thank you again & you've been a great help.

Old 02-27-2007, 07:29 PM   #4
(female)

maggiemoo HB User

You might want to check with her doctor about a high fiber diet right now during a flare up. Sometimes, they want you on a low fiber diet until everything gets healed. The bowels may need to rest a bit with liquids--let your doctors guide you in this.

Did she have a CT scan? Is she on medication now? Usually diverticulitis is treated with some high powered antibiotics. Sometimes it is treated in the hospital with IV antibiotics.

Regarding the pain--if she is having pain or in agony, please call her doctor. Ask the gastro doctor about the bleeding. Did the doctors recommend the immodium? My doctor would not let me have it so check with the doctor about it--check with the gastro doctor about it. My GP did prescribed it for me when I was in the hospital and my surgeon who was consulting said "NO WAY". It would cause more harm than good.

What you don't want to happen is for her to have a perforation--when the bowel ends up leaking. That is very, very serious and will require a hospital stay and possible emergency surgery. If she is not getting better on antibiotics, get her into the doctor or take her to the emergency room.

I'm glad she has you to be asking the questions.

Maggie

Old 02-28-2007, 02:33 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

_mystictiger_ HB User

Hiya Maggie,

Thanks for your reply. Our GP hasn't contacted us yet to tell us she has Diverticulitis. I had to contact the gastro doctor myself and when I finally caught up with him, he told us the results of the camera in her rectum that looked at her bowels at the scan.

I'm not sure if it was a CT scan. I think it may of been. She was injected with dye an put into a tunnel as she calls it. It was a high definition scan so it very well may of been the CT.

Nope she isn't on any antibiotics and she hasn't heard from her GP about any of this. We need to be careful with regards to what we give her due to her being a insulin dependant diabetic but she does already eat a medium fiber diet. Yes Gran was told to take Immodium by her GP & Senna when she was constipated. Gastrol Doc told her to stop taking Senna & prescribed her a drink which she takes every night that gradually relives the constipation.

The flare up has passed now luckily. She still has mild abdominal pain but no runs. Im going to contact the GP tomorrow & get the antibiotics. What are the antibiotics she needs?

Old 02-28-2007, 05:37 PM   #6
(female)

maggiemoo HB User

Your doctor must not think that she is having an infection in one of the pouches. Once you have the pouches, they are always there. They can be there for a long time without any infection happening. It is only when one or more gets inflamed or infected that you need the antibiotics. Has she been running a temperature?

Maggie

Old 03-02-2007, 07:58 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

vickie45 HB Uservickie45 HB User

hi i just found out today i have diverticullits and my gyn said to just take more fiber i have had the symtons for this since i was 38 im now 44 somedays im constipated and somedays i have diarea my gyn took the catcan because i conplined of my stomach hurting all the time .what can happen is this a serious prob i need surgery for? i been taking all kids of fiber stuff and sometimes it dont work so whats good i guess i need to eat vegggies and fruit which is good for me anyway .vickie45

Old 03-05-2007, 09:11 AM   #8
(female)

BlueSky555 HB User

Vickie,

When you said that your stomach was hurting, is it the abdominal area and are the pains sharp, short ones or constant pain?

Just curious; having the same problem.

BlueSky555

Old 03-05-2007, 04:36 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hope4All HB UserHope4All HB User

I heard this is mainly on the left side, can you have it on the right????

In the process of finding out what my problem is.

Hope

Old 03-14-2007, 05:09 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Question Re: Diverticullitis

no my stomach just hurt like gas pains i was taking prevacid that my old dr gave me that did not help but the new dr found it on catscan has anyone heard of the new fiber choise maybe that may help its 14.00 for 90 pills but thats at cvs i may see if walmart has it ,i have tried lots of fiber stuff and i still feel the same i also just found out 8 weeks ago i have thyriod disorder so im on meds for that too,im not constipated all the time some days its loose it all depends i guess and why cant they fix this with surgery? so far my stomach hasnt been hurting once i stopped taking the prevacid and prilosec not at the same time tho neither worked anyhow .so would that fiber choise help???
thanks vickie45

Old 03-14-2007, 05:15 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSky555 View Post
Vickie,

When you said that your stomach was hurting, is it the abdominal area and are the pains sharp, short ones or constant pain?

Just curious; having the same problem.

BlueSky555
no its more like gas and it goes away and i feel bloted at times but so far my stomach hasnt been bothering me i still get the constipation and diarea well mainly loose more then diarea and sometimes its right there but i still cant get it to come out but i see a internal medicine dr on the 23rd so maybe he can help have you heard of that new fiber choise my gyn told me to take anything fiber but i have taken benafiber ,metamucil and even zelnorm nothing seems to work for me i eat fiber cereal and veggies i dont eat alot of fruit though maybe i should i do eat bananas though .
vickie45

Closed Thread