It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2007, 10:45 AM   #1
(female)

Cazzy HB User
Diverticular Disease

Hi ....I'm new to these boards ....Today I went for a colonoscopy which when the doctor book me for one said they wasn't sure if it could be done because of previous surgery it may be dificult. I asked for sedation but due to them having difficulty trying to find a vein to use finished up using entinox ...at first this was okay and they got to do so much of the test but then it got too painful and I was vomiting with it so they stopped the test. They however told me that I have a very bad case of Diverticular Disease ...I suffer from irritable bowel also.

I was having this test done because of terrible pains I have been having and erratic bowel movements also because my grandad died of bowel cancer they wanted to make sure there isn't anything more going on. I had no idea I had diverticular disease I only knew my Dad had it. They are now planning to do a scan instead does anyone know what kind of scan it will be and can anyone give me any more info on diverticular disease. I am a female of 56 years of age I have had to have a few surgeries because of Kidney Stones ...does anyone know if this can have contributes to it.

Old 02-27-2007, 04:12 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

_mystictiger_ HB User
Re: Diverticular Disease

My Gran was just diagnosed with this on friday and we too are from the UK. I don't know much about diverticular disease but I know it comes under 2 different names. Diverticullitis and Diverticulosis. Basically pouches form in the bowels which are imflammed or infected. If infection antibiotics are usually prescribed. My Gran had the scan at the same time she had the cam test (she was awake without any sedation) and the scan was a "tunnel" one. I cant think of its name but its when you go into a tunnel. Totally painless but she did have some injections prior to the scan...a form of liquid dye to show everything up clearly.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-27-2007, 07:42 PM   #3
(female)

maggiemoo HB User

Diverticulosis is the condition in which pouches have formed along the bowel. Diverticulitis is when the pouches become inflamed and infected. Certain foods--popcorn, seeds and nuts are common culprits. That is treated with high powered antibiotics--sometimes a hospital stay is needed.

A CT scan can show the pouches that have formed--that might be what they want you to have. A scan is usually recommended during a flare-up to make sure that you don't have a perforation or an abscess.

I can't give you a lot of information because I only had one episode. Unfortunately I had a perforation with that episode and ended up have a portion of my bowel removed about 2 months after the perforation. (A follow-up colonoscopy showed that the diverticulosis was extensive.)

My doctor believes that you should be on a fiber supplement. She says that the most important thing is to keep "things moving along". A high fiber diet (minus the items listed above), along with drinking plenty of water is usually recommended.

With that said--time for my nightly Metamucil.

Maggie

Old 02-28-2007, 07:02 AM   #4
(female)

Cazzy HB User

Thanks for your replies ...I am awaiting another appointment ...but what you have told me has helped me understand it a lot better.. I was told nothing yesterday over than I had diverticular disease ..I thank you both for your information.

Old 02-28-2007, 02:38 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

_mystictiger_ HB User

Your welcome hun. Maggie knows a lot about Diverticular disease but Im new to this so unfortunately I cant be much help. But I would strongly advise you to see your GP and to find out what form of Diverticular disease you have. As Maggie said you might need high powered antibiotics. Good luck

Old 02-28-2007, 05:40 PM   #6
(female)

maggiemoo HB User

You only need antibiotics when you have an infection in one of the pouches. Most people feel quite sick and run a temperature when one gets infected.

Chances are you have the pouches but no infection. Once the pouches are there, they never go away. It doesn't mean that you will get diverticulitis (the infection) but you do need to careful about your diet.

Maggie

Last edited by maggiemoo; 02-28-2007 at 05:41 PM.

Old 03-01-2007, 07:07 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

Cazzy,

Kidney stones are generally caused by not drinking enough water daily.
And diverticulosis is caused by not eating enough fibre in your diet.

A person to have normal BMs daily need 20 to 35 grams of fibre in their diet daily. It needs to be a combination of both soluble and insoluble fibre.
You also need to drink 8 glasses of water daily. You body is made up of 70% water and all organs need it to function properly.

I wish you well---Harry

Old 03-02-2007, 09:31 AM   #8
(female)

Cazzy HB User

Thanks again for all the wonderful advice ...I am going for a barium X Ray in a few days ....the Diverticular was found whilst they were checking to make sure
there isn't anything more sinister going on ...Re ..the Kidney stones Harry yup ..I know about it being because of not drinking enough water although I drink at
least 2 litres if not more a day and still get them..just me being unlucky I suppose ...I am going to slowly increase my fibre intake although I eat quite a lot of vegetables and fruit already.

I am already on long term low dose antibiotics because of recurring kidney infections. Thanks again for the advice I really appreciate it.

Old 03-02-2007, 11:26 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

There are basically 2 types of fibre-- insoluble and soluble fibre and you need a combination of both daily for normal BMs.

Insoluble fibre is the type that does not absorb fluid but causes muscle contracting and BMs--- all fruits and veggies are 99% this type including greens and green beans. Nut & seeds and the outer Bran that is used in cereals.

Soluble fibre is the type that absorbs fluid and bulks up your stool. The inner part of grains, beans and peas are all soluble. Also the root veggie like potatoes, carrots, beets and turnips-- all absorb water and are considered mostly soluble.

All meats,eggs. seafood and dairy products contain NO fibre.

I wish you well ---Harry

Closed Thread