It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2007, 04:57 AM   #1
(male)

baldy_1812 HB User
1st time user of Psyllium - advice needed please

Hi,

I have a problem with my stools being that they are never solid so i have ordered this..

Whole Psyllium Husk - 300g

Have i ordered the right kind of thing? I would also like some advice on how best to use it.

Thanks for any replies.

Last edited by moderator2; 02-28-2007 at 07:09 AM. Reason: product names are allowed - websites are not.

Old 02-28-2007, 10:41 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Re: 1st time user of Psyllium - advice needed please

baldy,

You did not say if it was a powder form or in capsules.
If it is pure psyllium husk powder -- you have to mix it with water and it does not mix very well so you may want to shake it before drinking it. It will float on the top of water.

Regardless of how you do it -- it still will act as a water soluble fiber supplement. Just make sure you drink enough water/fluid with each dose-- too little water will cause constipation.

Psyllium is a natrual fiber that does get broken down with digestion and it ferments causing alot of GAS. So, start off slowly -- the gas will go away with continued use as your system gets use to it.

Harry

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-01-2007, 09:03 AM   #3
(male)

baldy_1812 HB User

hi harry thanks for the reply, its the powder stuff just took my first glass just now as it has only just arrived. Am i correct in saying it is the right kind of stuff for loose bowels?

Old 03-01-2007, 11:33 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

baldy,
You are right-- psyllium is a soluble fiber that absorbs fluid and by doing that it will make your stools bulky and more regular wit less straining

Old 03-01-2007, 01:51 PM   #5
(female)

Proverbs3:5 HB User

I too have a question about psyllium as I am also a newbie to it. If I plan on taking care of business around 7 AM then what time should I take the psyllium for it to most effective?

Last edited by Proverbs3:5; 03-01-2007 at 01:52 PM.

Old 03-01-2007, 02:05 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Proverbs,

I take it after breakfast and after supper.
I usually go after breakfast.
The diet you eat the rest of the day is important because it should contain the rest of the fiber that you intake.
As you may know you also need insoluble fiber combined with soluble fiber for normal BMs.

And, you can train your self to go at certain times.

But, Trust in the Lord---Harry

Last edited by Harry; 03-01-2007 at 02:07 PM.

Old 03-02-2007, 11:43 AM   #7
(male)

baldy_1812 HB User

hi harry, 2 questions for you. first one being how long should it take for the husk to make a difference? and secondly how can you train yourself to go at certain times, that sounds like something useful.

Thanks

Old 03-02-2007, 11:06 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

baldy,

The time it takes Psyllium to work is determined by how much you take daily and when.
It's a natrual fiber so taking it just takes me 2 times a day to have the full affect but that is with my diet -- the food I eat.
Once you take enough at each time to have regular daily BMs then you can start training the times you have BMs.

You train yourself my going and sitting on the toilet at the same time daily. And try to have a movement but not long because staining too long will cause hemorrhoids. Eventually you will start having Bms at that time daily or very close to that time.

Everyone is different because the amount of fiber we intake and other foods/diets we eat daily changes and is so different.

My wife goes most days when she gets up in the morning before breakfast.
I go after breakfast at 10:30 am daily but I have had 2 1/2 feet of my colon removed 5 years ago so my BMs are never really urgent like before surgery.

I now never just sit and strain -- my BMs take about only 5 to 10 minutes and I'm finished for the day.

Harry

Last edited by Harry; 03-02-2007 at 11:11 PM.

Old 03-02-2007, 11:13 PM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

Seraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB User

Hint: put it in orange juice, it makes the taste and texture more enjoyable. Then follow up with 2 glasses of water. What harry says is true, you can train your bowel to move at a particular time just by repeating the opportunity. Once the psyllium is going thru your system, your bowel will become quite obedient and do what you want.

Old 03-04-2007, 08:08 AM   #10
(male)

baldy_1812 HB User

hi last question for you, im taking 2 teaspoons of the husk twice a day. Im sure i read that you have to have soluble and insoluble fibre in your diet to have normal bowel movements. What type of things do you eat then as well as the husk, like normal day to day foods?

Old 03-04-2007, 08:30 AM   #11
(male)

TooheyNew HB User

Baldy - I seem to have pretty loose stools as well, and have tried metamucil (seems to work sometimes). Can you please read my post on "endless wiping" and tell me if you find the same problem? It would maybe help me find a solution (maybe I need Psyllium as well).

Thanks

Old 03-04-2007, 10:01 AM   #12
(male)

baldy_1812 HB User

hi,

i dont think i have the same problem as you. I cant find metamucil anywhere (from the uk) hence why i am trying the husk, ive only been on it a cpl days so i dont know how effective its going to be.

Old 03-04-2007, 05:32 PM   #13
Inactive
(female)

donegal27 HB User

Hi,
While no one on this post mentioned if they suffered from Irritable Bowel Syndrome, if you have in the past had an issue, Psyllium has been known to cause a problem. With regards to those with IBS, psyllium can cause painful spasms in sensitive colons. In these cases it would be better to find your fiber from a fruit or veggie source and then be sure to remove skins, seeds and cores first.
A little research on psyllium and ibs is needed beforehand.
Just a headsup to those who may have sensitive colons....Donegal27

Old 03-04-2007, 10:18 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

HI baldy,

I eat yogurt 3x daily that contain 3 gms of fiber each serving, I drink 1/4 cup of Kifer that contains several gms of fiber. Fruit/melons at least 3X daily. A green toss salad that contains greens & at least 4 other veggies. And. other veggies that are steamed. The grains I eat are usually whole grains like rice, oats and corn.
I eat protein with each meal -- chicken daily -- fish several times weekly. I rearly eat red meat or ham/bacon or pork. All meats contain NO fibre.
I eat nuts as a snack and ice cream about every other day.
The foods that contain insoluble fibre is all fruits and veggies, nuts and the outter parts of grains-- called bran here.

I only drink steam distilled water about 8 glasses daily.

Harry

Old 03-05-2007, 01:01 AM   #15
Facilitator
(female)

Seraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB User

Isn't Metamucil made of psyllium husks, only 3 times the price? and orange-flavoured?

Closed Thread