It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2007, 04:15 PM   #1
(female)

ember919 HB User
open vs. laparoscopic resection

Hi all,
I've scanned through some threads and have gotten some useful info about bowel resection surgery, but did not see much opinion one way or the other about the method.

My husband has an upcoming sigmoid resection (diverticulitis) which will be done as an open surgery. The doctor explained his reasons why (already open in case complications occur, system not shut down as long...) and they made sense at the time. However, as I've been searching on the internet, I've found it near impossible to find info about anything other than the laparoscopic procedure.

I see here on the boards that most have had the surgery done laparoscopically. And my usual watch-the-live-surgery website doesn't even have the open procedure in it's archives, though they have several videos of the laparoscopic one.

So now I'm starting to wonder if we shouldn't get a second opinion somewhere. Our current surgeon is ASCRS certified and I'll check out our state records (always do) to make sure he hasn't has too many boo-boos, he was recommended by the gastroenterologist, he works at highly acclaimed hospital -- so why does he not go along with the seemingly current point of view?

I know - this is a question to ask him, right?

Just wondered if anyone else had ever gotten an explanation as to why open might be preferred over laparoscopic.

Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-01-2007, 12:06 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Re: open vs. laparoscopic resection

ember,
I had 2 1/2 feet of my colon removed (entire sigmoid colon + some) with an open resection because of chronic diverticular bleeding. The surgery was done on 3/4/2002-- almost 5 years ago.

It is alot longer incision than the lapro cuts are -- so healing will be longer.

The surgeon discussed the problems that he was looking for and concerned about before surgery-- colon thinning and multiple diverticular pockets.
While open, the surgeon examined my pancreas that showed a mass, arota anurism and adenal glands enlargement-- that showed up on CT scans anually for 8 years.

Maybe there is something your surgeon wants to examine??

God Bless---Harry

Last edited by Harry; 03-01-2007 at 12:09 AM. Reason: Typos

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-01-2007, 05:13 PM   #3
(female)

ember919 HB User

Surgeon did not mention anything he wants to examine while he's in there. The only reasons I recall were:

1) fewer incisions mean fewer chances of infection (his explanation)
2) if procedure is started laparoscopically, then unexpected problem is discovered and patient has to be opened up after all, system is shut down longer and takes longer to recover
3) my husband is over 50

He's also overweight, but I don't know if that would make a difference?

Old 03-03-2007, 12:56 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

ember--
The open surgery will cause him to loose weight but that is not the reason. I lost 20 pounds-- sorry to say that was 5 years ago. I gained it all back then some.

My surgeon is a Colorectal surgeons so that is the only area he works on -- he was assisted by my now general surgeon.

Harry

Last edited by Harry; 03-03-2007 at 12:58 AM.

Closed Thread