It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2007, 05:30 AM   #1
(female)

Gavi112 HB User
Excess gas and pressure around tummy button/waist area

Suddenly three weeks ago an hour after I lay down in bed I got severe pressure sensations around my tummy button with lots of noises and the need to pass wind every 5-10 mins. I could not bear to stay laying down as the pressure was awful and if I sat up the tummy button pressure went away and was replaced by pressure feeling left of waist. Like having a football stuck there! I had a completely sleepless night with it.

I had another bad attack again same time same place a few days later and panicked and ended up in emergency in hospital. Initially they were worried it was my aorta becauseof the severe pressure but a scan ruled that out and copious blood tests rules out appendicitis, liver or kidney problems and I was not anaemic. On the aortic scan the Dr said I had lots of gas in my bowels and with the rumblings and wind passing they said it seemed to be irritable bowel.

I had changed my diet to include healthier fats and more veggies and fruits and I have never ever been constipated in my life always very sensitive bowels and go two to three times a day normally.

I have had another three bad nightly attacks, they usually ease off later in the day.

I saw my Dr today after another sleepless night and she said she agrees with hospital that its iritated bowel and to keep a food diary. She has given me mebeverine for IBS to use for 10 days. She said as I am over 40 if it continues I will need a colonoscopy!

I have just provided stool samples for occult blood and waiting results.

My Dr said laying down puts pressure on the abdomen so if you have alot of gas this will be why the pressure is so great on laying down and why it improves when I sit up.

Is there anyone who has had these strange symtoms or can relate to the pressure and gas. I so don't want a colonoscopy as i have heard the laxative you have is evil and you can't eat solid food for a day beforehand??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread