It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2007, 08:16 PM   #1
(female)

1longcoolwoman HB User
Unhappy Need help!....Admitted to hospital for diverticulitis

Hi all...........Here I am posting yet another time. I have been sick since Feb 12,2007 with what seems to be yet another classic case of diverticulitis. I am allergic to Cipro and have never been able to take Flagyl so I am limited as to what I can take that will actually work. I have been on Augmentin alone which used to work, but now the doctor puts me on Augmentin and Clindamicin at the same time. For the past 3 attacks this regime has worked but not this time! After 2 weeks on both drugs I ended up in the ER. My admitting doctor put me on Zosyn which has worked during the last 3 hospitalizations but a consulting surgeon took me off of Zosyn and put me on Gentamycin and Clindamicin IV. I was terribly disappointed to have the one drug I have had good luck with, taken away and replaced but who was I to argue? Anyway, after 5 long days in the hospital on a liquid then ice chip only diet, the surgeon released me to go home. I told him I was still cramping when I tried to eat but I did feel better so he told me that the cramping was from my colon still be so inflamed and to just do liquids a little longer. Well I have followed this to the tee, and have taken the Ceftin he put me on when he released me to the hour, but I am still not well. I cramp terribly when anything goes into my stomach. It's like it sets everything in motion and my colon cramps up. By the way, this is mostly left sided but does hurt bad just below my navel. Can anyone see anything here that I may be missing? I mean my white cell count is always around 11,000 or so and not all that terribly high when I am admitted but when I am well, it's always around 6000. I know if I go back to the ER and if my white cell count isn't high enough, they will just send me back home. I have recently moved to a new area and I don't have a doctor on board yet. I am considering using the Internist that admitted me but that remains to be seen. I am just so confused here!!! Every other attack has cleared up on the Zosyn....Could my colon just be inflamed and nothing more? Also I can't seem to have a regular bowel movement when I cramp up. I have to use clear water enemas to go at all and today just gave up and did an oral Fleet bowel cleanse. Normally I get a little relief from this but not today.... What should I do???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2007, 03:08 PM   #2
(female)

steckles HB User
Re: Need help!....Admitted to hospital for diverticulitis

from the sounds of the amount of pain you are in and the amount of times you have been admitted for infection, maybe it is time to look into surgery.

I would suggest looking for a gastroenterologist and a general practioner and then ask about possible surgery after explaining everything you have been through.

search the internet high and low for a "good" gastro and dr. both by knowledge and by bedside manner because they do need to listen to you clearly. Maybe your area has a dr review magazine issue? or even check with your insurance company? work companions

good luck and after that many stays, it unfortunately sounds like surgery. Some people have incredible luck with surgery, i personally have had other problems as well.

hope it all works well for you!!

Old 03-11-2007, 06:29 PM   #3
(female)

1longcoolwoman HB User
Re: Need help!....Admitted to hospital for diverticulitis

Thanks for your reply Steckles.....I do know that I need to have a resection, it's just that I haven't found a surgeon yet. We have just moved to a different area and I am in the process of finding news physicians. I have tried desperately to avoid surgery but after this last attack, (which I am still currently having issues with) I know I have to bite the bullet and try to place my trust in someone. I hope your "other issues" aren't from a resection.....If you have any suggestions about what to do or/and not to do regarding a resection, please post again. Thanks so much!

Closed Thread