It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2007, 07:57 AM   #1
(female)

munster HB User
Pain after Digital Rectal Exam

Hi All,

Hoping someone can help out. Last Wednesday (approx. 1 week ago) I had a digital rectal exam, performed by a doctor who was neither gentle nor concerned about the pain I felt upon insertion of his finger (I did not expect to have this exam performed; therefore I was very tense).

6 days later I feel soreness every time I have a bowel movement, and the general area around the anus feels bruised for most of the day. No blood or change in bowel habits, just a feeling of dull pain on and off. No pain at night.

The soreness started to get better on the 3rd and 4th day, and then rebounded and felt bad again day 5 (yesterday). Today I am a little bit better, but still noticeably sore. I called the doctor yesterday and he didn't seem concerned, since there was no blood and the soreness is not constant or getting worse.

Are there any side effects or risks of a digital exam? Could I just be super sensitive? I know I bruise easily, but it seems ridiculously to me that I am in so much pain after a routine exam. Any help would be very much appreciated!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2007, 10:38 AM   #2
(female)

munster HB User
Re: Pain after Digital Rectal Exam

Any help or ideas? Thank you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2007, 10:45 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Kel123 HB User

Hi,

I would call back your doctor, and maybe be seen again. I have had multiple rectal exams, and never had any sort of pain with any of them. I don't think what you are experiencing is normal. Maybe there are hemorrhoids or something up in there that were disturbed during the exam. Why did your doctor do a rectal exam anyway? What kind of doctor was it? Did he use KY jelly to lubricate before he went in? If he didn't, I can imagine being a little sore, bit It seems to be going on far to long. Hope you feel better soon.
Kel

Old 03-09-2007, 07:01 AM   #4
(female)

munster HB User

Thanks for answering Kel. It was actually a colorectal surgeon, and yes he did use lubricant. Day 9 and still in pain... I've made an appointment to see him next week. My family doctor prescribed Anusol suppositories as he thinks I may have muscle/tissue inflammation. Hopefully I'll feel better soon.

Closed Thread