It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2007, 11:56 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hope4All HB UserHope4All HB User
Colonoscopy scared to death

Im scheduled for a colonoscopy next week the 13th, I'm getting twighlight sleep the nurse said I won't care during it.

But I read thru some old posts and OMG now Im panicking....what if im one of them that feels everything!!!!!!!!!

Also my prep is HalfLytely, where I can have no solids, just liquids.......the nurse said this has less cramping.

Hope

Last edited by Hope4All; 03-07-2007 at 12:41 PM.

Old 03-07-2007, 12:49 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kellie2 HB User
Re: Colonoscopy scared to death

Hi Hope - Call the nurse back and ask her what it is they're giving you. I had mine done 18 months ago and they gave me Propofol, and I slept thru the whole thing. I rememebr nothing and felt great when I woke up, no after effects, no upset stomach, nothing. I went out to eat afterwards and then worked in my garden that afternoon. All I kept thinking was, what a piece of cake. The doctor who did mine doesn't believe in using narcotics and after mine was over and I felt so good afterwards, I understand why she doesn't.

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask....the first time is scary for everyone.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2007, 01:12 PM   #3
(female)

BlueSky555 HB User

Hi Again, Hope,

I just saw this post and decided to respond. I just responded to your response to me.

As for going through it, like kellie said, I had heard that you feel much better when it's over and also starved .

The only part that I'm dreading is that I was told I couldn't have anything but liquids the day before also and that's going to be the most difficult thing for me because I like to eat.

Again, good luck and you're not alone; I'm dreading mine also, even though I heard good things about it.

BlueSky555

Old 03-07-2007, 01:57 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks to the two of you.....on my prep papers it just says mild sedation and pain relievers.......but on the phone she said twilight sleep, she did say I would be aware, but I shouldn't care.

I will call her tomorrow or Friday.......me and my daughter have eye appts tomorrow.

Thanks
Hope

Old 03-07-2007, 03:55 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

kellie2 HB User

You may be having what my mother-in-law gets when she has her test - she says she's k-i-n-d-a there but usually just goes to sleep and doesn't feel anything.

As for eating the day before, you will actually not have an appetite once you start the prep.....I didn't. I'm not sure if I could eat that morning or not, I don't remember, but I do know that I didn't care to eat that evening. I was allowed clear broth and to be honest, a large mug of chicken broth tasted better to me than anything solid I could have picked.

Old 03-07-2007, 09:05 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

The hardest thing will be no coffee for me because I use milk No coffee for 2 days.....I know what I'll be drinking when I get home.

This is an embarrasing question but I need to ask it.......with all this crap going on I forgot all about my period when they scheduled me....I checked the other day and I'm due the day before the test.

Has anyone had this test while they were on their period? My first 3 days are heavy. She said If I was a heavy bleeder and felt uncomftorable to call back and reschedule for when its over.

Any advice ??? The sonogram wouldn't be a problem they allow you to leave panties on, and I wont use tampons (don't want toxic shock syndrome).

Hope

Old 03-08-2007, 09:56 AM   #7
(female)

BlueSky555 HB User

Hi again Hope,

Sorry I can't help you with the period issue. I suppose I never thought about that.

I see that you can't have coffee; that WILL be a tough one for me. Do you know why you can't have coffee? I thought it's a clear liquid and couldn't you use the powder cream? (and sugar)?

Just curious to see if anyone could answer this.

kellie2, was the broth that you had in a can; just plain chicken broth?

I feel for Hope because I know what she's going through, knowing that I have to have the same thing.

Hang in there, Hope,

BlueSky555

Old 03-08-2007, 10:58 AM   #8
(female)

misscurious0307 HB User

Hello Hope. I remember how scared I was having my first colonoscopy and not knowing what to expect. Truthfully, the worst part of the test is preparing for it. They recently started using Ducolax for the 'cleansing', which is much better than the previous method of drinking a gallon of what tasted like ocean water to the point of vomiting.

Chances are you will be sleeping when they perform the test and won't feel anything. Even if you are alert, you are sedated and won't feel any pain; just a little pressure.

With regard to coffee, I am unsure why you were told you couldn't drink it. In general, black coffee is considered a clear liquid, but your doctor may have another reason having you avoid it. So it's best to stick with his recommendation.

Good luck. I hope all goes well.

P.S. Having your period will not interfere with the test, but if you are uncomfortable, I would recommend rescheduling the appointment. While you won't be able to wear underwear during the test, they will allow the use of a sanitary napkin, which they will provide too.

Last edited by misscurious0307; 03-08-2007 at 11:02 AM. Reason: Forgot to add a comment.

Old 03-08-2007, 12:25 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User

I have to have a colonoscopy every 5 years due to colitis and a family history of colon cancer. The best and only way to have the test done is under sedation. You will not feel a thing nor remember a thing. You might have cramping and gas after the proceedure because they do inject the bowel and intestines with air. It is best to lay on your left side after the test. Your nurse or doctor will probably tell you the same.

If they take a biopsy you might have slight pain from that. Expect to rest the entire day because the anethesia will make you tired.

The worst part is NOT the test, it is the prep! Every doctor does it differently. My husband just had one done a few weeks ago and instead of using Go lightly or phosphates to induce diahreah he had to drink Miralax which is fairly tasteless mixed with Gatoraide, he also had to take 4 ducolax. The onset of diahreah occurred within the hour. As crazy as this sounds it's a good idea to buy the softest toilet tissue you can because you are going to hurt. Or use a box of tissues that have lanolin in them because it really becomes painful after using the restroom a few dozen times and only clear burning liquid is coming out. (sorry to be graphic but that's exactly what happens)

While my husband does not drink coffee he was allowed to drink it the day before and any other clear liquids. You have to avoid reds, purples, orange etc colored drinks because these do affect the test but coffee was fine.

Good luck!
Barbie

Old 03-08-2007, 03:17 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

I was told I could have coffee but no MILK, I use LOTS of milk in my coffee.....and I don't think sugar is a problem, just no milk.

I can make hot tea and drink that without sugar.

I am pretty sure I'm going to keep the appt. I just have to get over the "FEAR", I have no colon cancer in my family, but that is also a good reason to have it done.

The nurse gave me 2 options for prep, she said the second one everyone prefers cause they said it was alot less cramping, just cannot eat a thing. Who can eat with all this anxiety!!!!!

What kind of "pain" do these people feel? I gave birth 3xs without any meds, and I get severe menstrual cramps....is it like that or like someone is stabbing ya.....lol, I'm just freaking out please forgive me.

Hope

Last edited by Hope4All; 03-08-2007 at 03:21 PM.

Old 03-09-2007, 07:07 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

kellie2 HB User

Kissa, your post worried me a little - why do they only test you every five years if there's colon cancer in your family? You should be getting tested every three. There is no shortage of posts on the bowel boards of people being diagnosed with cancer four years after their last test, and it's common knowledge that a polyp can grow - and turn cancerous - in three years time. Which is why someone high risk as yourself should not be going five years between tests. I've worked with people who had cancer in their families and they're in every three years like clockwork. You may wish to schedule your tests closer together. How sad it would be to think that a person goes through this test only to find out the next time they waited just a year too long. If your doctor tells you different, I will be happy to forward articles written that will prove him wrong. Or just read the posts on here from others who will also tell you different. I'm not high risk, and there's no colon cancer in my family, but I still go every three years because the test is such a breeze that it's so worth the peace of mind it gives me.

Old 03-09-2007, 07:10 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

kellie2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSky555 View Post
Hi again Hope,

Sorry I can't help you with the period issue. I suppose I never thought about that.

I see that you can't have coffee; that WILL be a tough one for me. Do you know why you can't have coffee? I thought it's a clear liquid and couldn't you use the powder cream? (and sugar)?

Just curious to see if anyone could answer this.

kellie2, was the broth that you had in a can; just plain chicken broth?

I feel for Hope because I know what she's going through, knowing that I have to have the same thing.

Hang in there, Hope,

BlueSky555

BlueSky, the broth I had was just plain chicken broth in a can, like Campbells. And it has sodium in it which your body needs while doing the prep, so they encourage you to drink it. I really didn't have a taste for solid food so the broth was wonderful.

Old 03-09-2007, 10:04 AM   #13
Veteran
(female)

Kel123 HB User

Hope4all,

I had a colonoscopy in January, and I also had my period at the same time. It was not a big deal..They kept me pretty clean. You will be leaking a little probably from the bowel prep and should wear a pad anyway. The test is very easy! I had propofol and didn't remember or feel a thing. I only remember the propofol burning pretty bad when it went into the IV, but then your asleep and you don't care. I was awake immediately after and ate lunch. The prep is gross. I was very weak from it because it was my 3rd full bowel prep in 1 1/2 weeks (I had multiple tests prior to rectal surgery) I tried the pills the first time (26 of them) but it made me have to go all night and morning. The next time I drank a gallon of golytely with 4 dulcolax pills a few hours prior. This gagged me, and tasted awful (I plugged my nose) But the clean out was faster and I actually felt "done" in a couple hours without it lingering like the pills did. Good luck. I thought the worse part was also not eating. I drank tea with sugar as my substitute for my beloved coffee You will do fine!
Kelley

Closed Thread