It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2007, 04:19 PM   #1
(male)

RailCrossing HB User
Colonoscopy today...AGE...22

Hey everyone, I have not posted much on this board but I would like to give everyone my story on the Colonoscopy I had today. I know there's lots of people out there that are scared to get one. Well...don't be. I thought I had every symptom of Colon Cancer. This included narrow/soft stool, abdominal pain and a positive occult fecal stool test. I went to my GI doctor and he said that I needed to get a Colonoscopy. I had expected him to say this so I wasen't suprised. I am only 22 years old so Colon Cancer while very much so possible, is unlikely. Well Monday night I started the prep. This included the taking of 4 ducolax tablets before I went to bed. I took them and went to sleep. Woke up around 11:00 am with the sudden urge to use the restroom. Went and did my thing. During this time I also became sick to my stomach and proceded to throw up a little. I blame the ducolax tablets. After this I became quite concerned since I haden't even started the Miralax/Gatorade prep yet. I was instructed to begin the Gatorade prep between 4 and 6 pm. I started promptly at 4. Throughout the night I had very watery stools and it seemed as if the ducolax actually cleaned me out and the Miralax prep just finished the job. I have to say the Miralax/Gatorade prep is extremely gentle, do not be afraid to ask for it!
I was able to sleep the whole night without using the restroom. I woke up promptly at 10, my procedure was at 12:30. Got dressed and headed over to the surgery center. After waiting about 20 minutes I was called back. Met with the nurse, she was very nice and explained what was going to happen. Got into the gown and robe and waited. Then the anesthesiologist came over and asked me to sign a form and told me he was only going to use one drug to put me to sleep. Waited another 10 minutes or so, was given an IV and taken back to the procedure room. The doc was in there and I was instructed to lay on the bed. On went the vital sign checkers and in went the oxygen. Doc said, "goodnight in 15 seconds". I was like "haha its going to take awhile for me to fall asleep". I was laying there and within 10 seconds of them administering the anesthesia I felt my eyes get heavy and all of a sudden I was out. I woke up to hear people talking and I was already in the recovery area. I have to say I DID NOT feel a thing. The staff performed their job right down to the book. I was amazed and relieved that I could not feel a thing. It was easier than going to the dentist for a teeth cleaning. My doc came in, gave me a bunch of papers and said "Your good, you have a few hemoroids, we took a small biopsy of your colon just in case but from what I see your fine". I have a list of Fiber friendly foods I have to eat now.
So to all those out there, sitting, thinking they have colon cancer, scared of having something stuck up their butt...don't be. Its an extremely easy procedure with the only somewhat annoying part being the prep and even that wasen't bad. So if your sitting here reading this and thinking about getting one GO RIGHT AHEAD. I know there are expceptions with some people but I have to say it was a breeze. I just wanted to offer my thoughts to those who are my age and having problems as well as the older folks who fear the procedure. Get it done, its a breeze. Take care everyone,

RC

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2007, 05:25 PM   #2
(male)

bumpkin1 HB User
Re: Colonoscopy today...AGE...22

Thanks man, i'm in those shoes now, but i'm 25. I go for my colonoscopy soon, and was woundering if it would hurt....also wondering about the cancer thing.

Old 03-07-2007, 05:42 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

adamace1 HB User

Yes it's no big deal, the hardest part for me was the prep mad me sick, but after i woke up i never knew anything was done to my rear end. I am 27. It doesn't hurt, i knew an older guy at work and the meds didn't knock him out so he just sat there and watched the tv of his colon but there was no pain for him.

Old 03-07-2007, 08:38 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hope4All HB UserHope4All HB User

Were you all given general anesthia?(sp) I'm just getting twighlight sleep~~

I heard it does nothing and the procedure for some hurt so bad they stopped halfway thru.

Im due for mine soon too.

Hope

Old 03-08-2007, 08:20 AM   #5
(female)

dancefreak87 HB User

Hi Hope, I know they are telling you that they are putting you in twilight but that's what they told me for my first one a year and a half ago. I honestly don't remember a thing and never felt anything. It actually put me out completely as far as I'm concerned. I'm going through my prep for my scope tomorrow(I'm having a colonoscopy and endoscopy/bravo at the same time), as we speak, I'll keep you in prayer and I'm sure you'll be fine.

Old 03-08-2007, 08:57 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hope4All HB UserHope4All HB User

Thanks Danzin.........wow they are getting you from both ends!!!! You are a brave person.

Hope

Old 03-08-2007, 12:56 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User

Basically for all colonoscopy's they use twilight as a form of anethesia. With twilight you won't remember a thing. It does put you to sleep. It is a coctail of two different medications, usually demmerol and versed. They use twilight so that you do not have to have a breathing tube in your throat. You wake up much quicker and is generally a lighter sedation.

I have never woke up once with all of the colonoscopy's I've had but my husband did wake up during one and remembers feeling a sharp pain and then nothing. He heard them say he was waking up so they injected him again to put him back to sleep.

I would not worry about waking up, it generally doesn't happen and it sure beats having it done when you are wide awake.

Barbie

Closed Thread