It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2007, 06:25 AM   #1
(male)

rim_shot HB User
Soft stool problem. Help!

Hello, I am new to the boards and am doing this out of desperation. I am 16 years old, and have not seen any doctor about this problem yet.

Over the past few months I have been having problemís with loose stool. It seems whenever I go the stool is very loose and sometimes I even have diarrhea. The problem has been getting worse and worse by the weeks. I usually have diarrhea (or something close to it) once a week and its totally ruining my life! I am almost always anxious about having an episode when Iím not at home. And I usually have it on my mind even at home. I have really gotten to the point of exhaustion, (mentally) and I am crying right now as I type because this problem is really ruining my social life.

The past few months my bmís have been getting more and more loose, and painful. I also have noticed that I have had a lot of gas and that sometimes I feel like passing a wet bm while passing gas. I really need help! My parents have scheduled an allergy appointment for me in April, but I feel more needs to be done sooner cause the symptoms are really dragging me down. What should I do?

Old 03-08-2007, 07:11 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Re: Soft stool problem. Help!

rim,
THere are several things you can do.

Start taking a water soluble fiber supplement like psyllium that is in Metamucil.

It will bulk up you stool by absorbing fliud and make you regular w/o straining.
I use the Equate brand from Wal Mart-- the sugar free orange flavor.

It will produce gas but with continued use it will go away.

Another thing is start eating yogurt-- the kind I use is Stonyfield Farm -- it contains active cultures that will get rid of unfavorable bacteria in the intestinal tract --- You may have to get it from a health food store.
It is the only yogurt in the US that contains L reuteri -- and L casie-- this helps your immune system!!.

Take Care ---Harry

Last edited by Harry; 03-08-2007 at 07:13 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2007, 05:03 PM   #3
(male)

odezu HB User

I wouldn't recommend water soluble fibers in this case because they only make stools softer.

It is said that their tendency to produce gas will go away, but I have noticed that this doesn't apply to me.

If you have the problem after consuming dairy products, then you might have lactose intolerance.

Old 03-16-2007, 07:43 AM   #4
(male)

rim_shot HB User

Yesterday I had several bout of loose bm's with some pain. The interesting thing about it was it wasn't diarrea. It felt like it was going to be diarrea and if felt like it was when it came out but when I examined each of the stools I found they were not diarrea but just very loose stools. I also noted that each time I would go it came out very fast and it all came out in a long, skinny string that was coiled like the intestines. Anyone got idea's of whats going on?

Oh btw I don't know if this helps at all but you could probably describe the stools I was having best as a type six on the bristol stool scale. [url]http://en.****pedia.org/****/Bristol_Stool_Scale[/url]

Thanks in advance!
-Rim

Old 03-16-2007, 08:06 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

Rim,
Usually stools that are thin mean you are not getting enough soluble fiber in your diet.

Soluble fiber is the type that bulks the stool up by absorbing water and make it larger. Of course you have to drink 6 to 8 glasses of water daily.

If you want to take it as a fiber supplement daily they are -- Psyllium that is in Metamucil or other brand like Equate from Wal Mart, Citrucel that contains Methylcellulose, Benefiber contains Guar Gum or Fiber Choice that contains Inulin which is chicory root.

Foods that are soluble are the inner part of all grains, beans and peas. Also, the root veggies absorb fluids--- like potatoes, carrots, beets, sweet potatos and turnips.

All fruits and veggies, nuts & seeds and the outer part of grains that is bran included in alot of cerals are all insoluble fiber and don't absorb water and without soluble fiber they produce thin stools like you are having-- thin.

To have normal stools you need a combination of both types of fiber in your diet.

Take care----Harry

The Following User Says Thank You to Harry For This Useful Post:
phoebe3 (07-21-2012)
Old 03-29-2007, 01:37 PM   #6
(male)

KingFootie HB User

rim,

I had the same thing happen to me, but my problem turned out to be: Ulcerative Colitis...your problem might be something different because many things can cause your symptoms. A colonoscopy may be in order...see your doctor.

Good luck,

KF

Old 03-30-2007, 03:22 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

RetiredDirector HB UserRetiredDirector HB User

I have to mention a couple things to maybe help this young man out a little. As Harry said Metamucil will add fiber and bulk up the stool when you're having diarrhea or very soft stools. I have had IBS for years and have started using Metamucil for my diarrhea and I now am able to have more regular and soft stools. Now, soft stools for me is a great improvement over diarrhea several times a day. There's also the possiblity it is something else, like Colitis. My wife has microsopic colitis and the symptoms are very similar to IBS. You also should have the test to find out if you're lactose intolerant. If you are, dairy products will really give you a bad time.

Start with some Metamucil though and see what happens. You can take it up to three times a day, but start with once a day and go from there. Also, someone mentioned a colonoscopy. I would think this test should be done as soon as you can have it. You need to see a good Gastro doctor and see what he says about your symptoms.

Good luck to you and please keep us updated.

Closed Thread