It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2007, 07:55 AM   #1
(female)

Leela82 HB User
Question Lap sigmoid colectomy on 3/26 - scared!

I have never posted online before but from what I have read I will get the help I need here. I am a 52 year old wife/mom - 3 kids 21&18 yr. old boys and a 12 year old daughter. I have had at least 8-10 diverticulitis attacks in the last 4 years...4 requiring hospitalization. I had a second colonoscopy last Thurs..my gastro doc said the sigmoid was in such bad shape he couldn't do the test and referred me to a surgeon. Saw the surgeon Monday - he scheduled me for a gastrograffin enema next Thurs then surgery the 26th. I have read everything I can find on these boards but still would like any details I can get re: the surgery from check in to post surgery. (He at first scheduled me for the next Monday but I said I couldn't get help etc that quickly)

Specifically..what to expect when I check in on Monday, when I wake up...I have been told I will have an NG tube...details? Pain Mgmt. ..I haven't been told how that will be handled (I have another appt. on the 20th) I am allergic to morphine, flagyl (I know this isn't for pain)and codeine. During childbirth the epidural didn't work for me twice...will they know if it is working if I am asleep in surgery? How did you cope with the thirst issue...when I have been hospitalized before the thirst/dry mouth was excruciating. What is getting up like the first time? How about the first BM...is that in the hospital? Are nursing staffs generally attentive to this post-op? I have been left alone with buzzers unanswered many times in the hospital...that really scares me this time. I have questions about everything so every detail would be appreciated...I will sleep better with more info rather than less. The surgeon was very uninformative as was the scheduling girl...maybe they will be more helpful on the 20th but I would appreciate any help I can get NOW!

My very active and helpful 75 year old parents will be coming to help me (they live over 1000 miles away) and my husband works from home so will be around also. Also about how long is recuperation? and what exactly does that mean...pain?, inability to eat,exercise,fatigue? (I don't handle anesthesia very well....general for other simple procedures such as D&C keep me in bed for a week).....I am sorry this is so long. I look forward to hearing from anyone who has gone through this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread