It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2007, 11:21 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

donegal27 HB User
Post Confused about which fiber to use? consider acacia fiber.

I am hoping the following will provide necessary details about various brands and perhaps a thought to considering one that is effective and gentle.

The recommended intake of fiber for an average person is 25 to 35 grams per day (source: the American Dietetic Association.The leading brands use a range of different fibers in their products. The most common type of fiber is psyllium, a soluble plant fiber found in Metamucil and Konsyl. This is a popular fiber for helping to relieve constipation, and it may also help general IBS symptoms. It is worth noting though that some people do experience problems with psyllium fiber and may find another type less harsh on their stomachs.

Other brands use methylcellulose (a plant fiber found in Citrucel), calcium polycarbophil (a synthetic fiber found in Fibercon and Equalactin)this can be a problem for lactose intolerant people, and guar gum (the plant fiber in Benefiber, although some Benefiber products now use wheat dextrin as well). A final type of fiber, acacia fiber, is also available.
Because they are made from different ingredients, fiber supplements also contain differing amounts of actual fiber per dose. Here is a rough guide to the fiber quantities in each product.

Acacia fiber 4.5 grams
Metamucil 3.4 grams
Benefiber 3 grams
Citrucel 2 grams
Fibercon 1 grams
If you've never tried a fiber supplement before I would recommend trying Acacia Fiber. I would recommend this one because it is not a psyllium product which can cause irritation to sensitive tracts. It contains a high level of fiber per dose (4.5 grams), and Acacia Fiber is also designed to have prebiotic properties, meaning that it helps to nourish the friendly bacteria in the gut which can help digestion. It may be the answer for many who can't seem to find something effective. Having a wider range of information regarding fiber is important in that for many it takes awhile to find what works for them. Best wishes, Donegal27

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2007, 12:29 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User
Re: Confused about which fiber to use? consider acacia fiber.

Personally I use Fiber Sure which is a powder that contains 5mg of fiber per teaspoon. I mix it with my cereal, beverages etc.
I do find it's really important to get the most natural fiber than you can by eating foods high in fiber. There are several cereals on the market, one is a Kashi, they have one which is Vanilla and graham cracker based that tastes awesome and is 14 gms of fiber!

Barbie

Old 03-08-2007, 12:41 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

donegal27 HB User
Re: Confused about which fiber to use? consider acacia fiber.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post
Personally I use Fiber Sure which is a powder that contains 5mg of fiber per teaspoon. I mix it with my cereal, beverages etc.
I do find it's really important to get the most natural fiber than you can by eating foods high in fiber. There are several cereals on the market, one is a Kashi, they have one which is Vanilla and graham cracker based that tastes awesome and is 14 gms of fiber!

Barbie
I agree with you, finding your fiber from food sources is the best and most friendly to your system. Increasing it from a supplemental source is necessary though sometimes. It certainly pays to look at the kind of ingredients being sold in the supplements and cereals too, some of which you don't need and can actually cause more harm then good.
Best wishes, Donegal27

Closed Thread