It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2007, 11:09 AM   #1
(female)

collegegal HB User
Pain.... is this serious?

For the past 2 weeks I have had excruciating pain w/ bowel movements. I think being constipated is what caused it. There is some bleeding, but very little. I have tried stool softeners and laxatives but it is still painful! I am scared that something is seriously wrong. I thought the problem would have been gone by now. Anyone been through this before?

Old 03-12-2007, 05:53 PM   #2
(female)

purpleladyfish HB User
Re: Pain.... is this serious?

collegegal,

Sorry to hear about your discomfort, are you still experiencing painful bowel movements? If so, do you mind my asking you to describe the pain? I'm asking becasue you mention that you became constipated. Sounds like you could have what is called an anal fissure. Is the pain a sharp one when having a bowel movement, kind of feels like you are being cut by glass or a razor? If you were constipated and passed large or hard and dry stool then you could have a fissure. A fissure is a tear in the lining of the anus and is generally caused as a result of passing large, hard stool. It overstretches the anus and causes the skin to tear. I'm not saying that is what you have, there are other causes of such pain. I am speaking from my experience with painful bowel movements and mine was a fissure but that was diagnosed by a colon/rectal doctor. Increase your fluids and fiber. You want to avoid constipation at all costs! Do not think that constipation only means "you can't go" or "haven't gone in days". A person can have a bowel movement everyday and STILL be constipated, I was. One can also be considered constipated if their stools are hard, you have to strain to have a bm, you have pellet or pebble like shaped stool. The fiber makes your stool soft and bulky so that it passes without straining and makes your stool soft so it passes more easily. Make sure you are drinking plenty of fluids per day. Beverages with caffeine do not count as caffeine dehydrates. You also need to take in enough fluids with the fiber as the fiber will absorb the fluids. So drink plenty, daily. Personally, I take Citrucel twice a day. 2 in the morning with breakfast and 2 in the evening with dinner. I eat lots of food with natural fiber in it, as well. Don't get discouraged if you don't see immediate results, it takes time for the fiber to work. I drink around 115 ounces of water per day. If your still experiencing this pain, you should see your physician. You want to make sure you get the proper diagnosis and treatment. All we can do hear is offer you our opinions and experiences. We're not a substitute for a physician. Sitz baths can also help. This is a small basin that sits on top of your toilet seat and you fill it with warm water and soak your bottom in it. The warm water helps to relax the anal muscle and helps to keep the area clean. I hope you are feeling better as I see you posted this several days ago.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2007, 01:18 PM   #3
(female)

collegegal HB User

Thanks for your reply! I think I must have a fissure, because the pain is exactly how you described. I actually had a baby a month ago and I think that is what caused me to go a few days without having a bm. And when I did have one, it was hard. I got some Preparation H wipes that seem to be helping. I think it is getting better though. Thanks!

Old 03-14-2007, 04:55 PM   #4
(female)

purpleladyfish HB User

Glad to hear you are feeling better. Now that you mention having a baby a month ago it makes sense that you were constipated. Just make sure you keep up with lots of fluids and lots of fiber, daily. We should all be doing that daily anyway. Congratulations on the addition to your family. I hope things continue to improve for you.

Old 03-14-2007, 09:08 PM   #5
(female)

ericollin HB User

collegegal,
It is very common to get a fissure either during childbirth or soon after. Please use stool softeners and fiber to keep everything soft and moving. You may want to see a colorectal doctor right away to get an official diagnosis. The sooner you implement things to help heal a fissure the better off you are at healing it quickly and permanently. If you have a fissure, it is still at the acute phase. If it doesn't heal within 6 weeks, it is considered chronic and becomes much harder to heal. Please jump to it and try and find out what you have going on and if it is a fissure please do everything the doctor says to help heal it.

I don't want to scare you. I just please hope that you get proactive in finding a solution to your problem sooner than later.
I pray that you feel better soon.
ericollin

Last edited by ericollin; 08-23-2007 at 11:45 PM.

Old 03-17-2007, 09:55 PM   #6
(female)

collegegal HB User

I think I am going to end up going to the doctor! I wasn't even sure what doctor to go to... So I am thankful for the post telling me which doctor to go to. Every time I think its getting better, it gets bad again! I dont think I can take much more of this! I am eating right and exercising so I just dont understand why my body is acting so different. I know I had a baby and all but gosh, I had know idea it would be this bad!!!

Old 03-23-2007, 05:20 PM   #7
(female)

NoSleepSeattle HB User
Unhappy Re: Pain.... is this serious?

Hi,

Anyone know why do women get consipated after a baby? I was during both pregnancies but not after I stopped my pre-natal vitamins.

I had a surgery to remove three small hem. (last October) and now I have a fissure. I was reading online from ***** that certain creams can slow the healing of a fissure. My doctor perscribe an HC 1% cream but said using this type of cream long term can thin the skin. I used the cream for 4 weeks with no luck. He has recommended I have a surgery to 'cut the muscle' that is spasaming and causing my fissure not to heal. Has anyone had experience or heard about this happening after a hemorroidectomy (sp?). I do not want another surgery and also can't afford another one anyway.

Any advice? Just want my butt to go back to normal and not to think about a BM anymore.

NoSleepSeattle

Closed Thread