It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2007, 05:30 PM   #1
(male)

Accatoni HB User
Red face Sudden substantial bleeding. Need peace of mind, if possible.

Howdy,

Meds to control severe abdominal pain and cramping have been causing constipation and worse lately because of other meds for prostate/urological issues. Diagnosed with IBS at 17, I am now 29. All GI tests have been done to find the cause of my chronic cramping and diarrhea except a colonoscopy which is now in the works. I saw my family doc yesterday because I had quite a bit of blood come out with a difficult (normal for me considering how long I lived with diarrhea) bowel movement. Stools are the small pebble type sometimes forming groups of pebbles into a not too much larger piece of which they are all hard to pass and I mean hard dry pieces too. Been doing some straining which I know is not good. Need the right lifestyle changes, ie: too much sitting which is how I sleep all night, upright in a chair. A little odd, I know. I drink alot of water but I need to find the right fiber and get enough of it, and exercise, etc.

So as far as this last Wednesday the bleeding was not enough to turn the toilet water red but a little pink (some red drops above the water line) and upon inspection the blood is not mixed in with the stool but instead only visible in the mucus attached to the outside of some pieces of the stool. That seems to be the only reason the water turned pink. My doctor diagnosed me a long time ago with a painful and easily noticeable fissure. She did not see anything externally wrong yesterday but tried to insert a lighted tube to check for internal hems but couldn't because it was too painful even gently done. By the way I had a pelvic CT Scan done for my urological problems (prostatitis and other nearby pain in the testes). Nothing was found and I asked what part of the colon/rectum could be seen at the same time. She showed me the report and absolutely no abnormalities were found. That may or may not have answered my question. I don't know. She said it was very unlikely to be serious by way of the bleeding and that was me asking her the worst case scenerio.

Finally, today (Friday) which is soon for me with the addition of stool softeners that didn't work today or at least not yet. With all the meds I am on which is five in total I could go a week before I put some effort into it and use the toilet. So again, today was soon considering two movements seperated by just yesterday which brings up all of the sitting I do in traffic . A little less blood but not by much. The first two hard, dry pieces showed no blood but the rest were larger, much harder to pass and had the bloody mucus. Very hard to pass and I know it's my fault by way of, or lack of, lifestyle changes. So, with all of this info, and I'm not asking for a solid diagnosis but some input and peace of mind hopefully are there any suggestions as to why the blood came on so rapidly and is only in the mucus?

If you read this far you are sitting as much as I am but I thank you anyway.

Accatoni

P.S. I lived with diarrhea for so many years I am even afraid the constipation will come out too quick so for a long long time I tend to quite often stop the stool from coming out by squeezing. Nervous habit but may be helpful info here?

Last edited by Accatoni; 03-09-2007 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Addition. I know, more info.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2007, 07:20 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Re: Sudden substantial bleeding. Need peace of mind, if possible.

It sounds like you need to take a water soluble fiber supplement like Metamucil twice daily. It will absorb fluids, bulk up your stool and make you regular w/o straining. It is a natrual fiber so it is safe to take daily.

The pebble type of stool usually indicates you are not drinking enough water.

I wrote a post in the Sticky thread at the top of this page --"Infomation Acrhive"-- the last post about BMs --- I think you need to read it.
You really need a combination of soluble and insoluble fiber for normal BMs, along with enough water and exercise.

I wish you well---Harry

Last edited by Harry; 03-10-2007 at 07:22 AM.

Old 03-10-2007, 10:29 PM   #3
(male)

Accatoni HB User
Thumbs up Re: Sudden substantial bleeding. Need peace of mind, if possible.

A big, big thank you to you Harry,

Wednesday: Small hard pebbles with the occasional formation of a few difficult to pass groups of small pebbles and the big suprise for the first time in my life being lots of blood on the stool, in the water, above the water line and on the tissue. Scared out of my mind!!

Thursday: DOCTOR! and the impossible to complete (due to pain) anoscope procedure.

Friday: Exactly the same as Wednesday. That night had to sit on my side and awake all night in my "sleeping chair" as it felt like I was sitting on something in my rectum.

Today (Saturday) after reading your response I put much more effort into my lifestyle changes which I knew I needed to do with these extremely powerful meds I am on for abdominal and urological pain and reading your archived post you directed me to gave me a little bit more info than I was aware of and an idea of how much to alter from what I had been doing previously. That and alot more motivation. Tonight after a couple days of hitting the stool softeners I took the water from five bottles up to ten today with a big spoonful of Metamucil and a five minute attack of sit-ups.

Two small pebbles to start only one had a little bit of bloody mucus and then a very bulky, formed but a little difficult to start stool. I told myself before looking ,that one had to be really bloody. No blood and almost no mucus at all except on the first pass of tissue. The second pass was clean. Absolutely no drops in the toilet. Still bleeding but so much less.

I just wanted to thank you for a kind response and direction to the info. Motivation and kindness without the sarcasm of I should have known better. Other responses I've gotten elsewhere on other boards have left me so hurt that I actually changed screen names.

With your help and motivation I have a bit of what I wanted. Peace of mind.

Thank you,

Accatoni

Old 03-11-2007, 07:04 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Linda_in_NJ HB User
Re: Sudden substantial bleeding. Need peace of mind, if possible.

Most of the times when I get really constipated, I use a glyserin supposartory
(sry about spelling) to get started. It almost always works. Feel better

Old 04-16-2007, 06:24 AM   #5
(female)

carmela81 HB User
Lightbulb Re: Sudden substantial bleeding. Need peace of mind, if possible.

Your symptoms sound just like mine, they told me I have ulcer. colitas.

Closed Thread