It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2007, 01:06 AM   #1
(female)

tropicalbrenda HB User
Hemorrhoidectomy on Friday...Help me

Hi all, I had a hemorrhoidectomy on Friday, and have been in so much pain. The second day the gelfoam plug came out and thats about it. I started freaking out that I was going to get constipated and called my doc who told me to try some milk of mag. So I did that, also I have been taking pain meds around the clock. Well heres the thing, I have been having bm's that are so painful, I can only go in the hot tub of water and then what comes out is small soft pieces the size of a quarter. It takes about an hour of excruciating pain to get maby six of these out. Well that has been my situation for the past 3 days. I take pain meds, sleep, get up and have horrible pain go to the tub try to pass stool only to continue to get just pieces, take more pain meds and sleep. I'm taking colace and metamucil as well as drinking tons of water. I have no bleeding at all just can't have a sizeable bm. Any one else experience this? Please help I feel like I'm going to die from the pain.

Old 03-16-2007, 04:56 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Kel123 HB User
Re: Hemorrhoidectomy on Friday...Help me

Hi,

I also had rectal surgery, although not a hemroidectomy. I had a very similar situation and took 1 tablespoon of milk of mag before bed, another in the morning, and again at noon. This helped me tremendously. As it turns out, I was impacted, and once I got it moving, things were better. try eating raison bran cereal also, I found that helped. The pain pills are constipating, so it is like a vicious cycle. The milk of mag is gentle, but sometimes it didn't catch up with me for about 2 hours. Do not strain! Try to go, If you can't, try again in a whlile. I also did the tub thing and that helped. I also spent hours trying to push out the smallest BM. It will get better. good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-16-2007, 03:34 PM   #3
(female)

tropicalbrenda HB User

Thanks, I'm just so terrified to do more of the MOM for fear that I will have cramps and be unable to control the amount of bm coming out as it is soooo painful.

Old 03-16-2007, 08:55 PM   #4
(male)

lodgen HB User
Wink Re: Hemorrhoidectomy on Friday...Help me

i had 3 hemorrhoids removed plus fissure surgery all at once,you need to have soft bm period no pushing. up the co lace untill you have complete bm ,they ease off if it gives you to many.i took miralax its perfectly safe and not habit forming all it does is put more water in your stool . moms is also safe but miralax is more gentle. you must find a system were you bet complete soft
bm at once going to many times will cause too much distress in your rectal
region.water,bran, metamucil ,fruit, veg soup are all fine but too much can
back you up.start slowly . bleeding and pain is normal after this surgery and
take the pain pill when you need them,it takes up to three months to recover
you will have ups and downs,i did . its been for months and i still have some
problems ,but i now have pain free bm and am able to get on with my life.
it will get better ,it rough but time will heal.

Old 03-24-2007, 02:34 PM   #5
(female)

tropicalbrenda HB User

Update, I had a hemorrhoidectomy on March 9, I had 3 internal hemorrhoids removed. Well on my first postop visit on March 19, my doc informed me that on the left side that is was not swelling that I had a very large thrombosed hemorrhoid, and that the right side looked just as she has expected. I cried and cried, I only had internal ones and now I have a huge external one. She said it was soft and may go down on its own and that she was not going to cut me at this point because I was in so much pain. Then on March 21 I had my breast implants replaced with the new silicone gel ones, and let me tell you they didn't even hurt one bit. Just a little sore. My bottom is still in pain. Finally I am able to go to the bathroom in the toilet to some extent without feeling like I'm going to die. But immediately after I reward myself with a hot tub soak. My question is how bad is the pain going to be to have this external hemorrhoid removed. I'm so upset that I had prolapse hemis before and could not live with them and now I have a permanent fixture on the outside. I have to have it gone, please tell me it will be less pain.......

Old 03-25-2007, 07:33 PM   #6
(female)

ericollin HB User

I had a hemorrhoidectomy performed last fall and ended up with a fissure that I am still trying to heal. Any hemorrhoidectomy is going to cause you pain. If you have to have this external hemorrhoid removed, you might as well do it now while you are still in pain. Make sure that you only let a colorectal surgeon (CRS) perform your surgery and NOT a general surgeon. Also, make sure that the CRS takes as little tissue off as possible. You do not want the tissue down there to be too tight as you could then end up with a fissure which is 1000 times more painful than a hemorrhoid.

Also, I have pretty much heard that a hemorrhoidectomy is THE most painful surgery there is! I have heard hemorrhoidectomy patients that have had the following previous surgeries (cancer - including treatments, prostate, brain anerysm, liver, pancreas, breast augmentation, C-section, etc.) and they have all said that a hemorrhoidectomy is the absolute MOST painful!!! Doctors just don't tell the truth about how bad this surgery is to recover from. My doctor told me 2 weeks. I am 6 months out and am still in some pain.

Hang in there. You are in my prayers!

Last edited by ericollin; 03-26-2007 at 08:34 AM.

Old 03-25-2007, 10:02 PM   #7
(female)

NoSleepSeattle HB User
Smile Re: Hemorrhoidectomy on Friday...Help me

This is true Hemorrhoidectomy surgery is the most painful. Too many nerves down there! I was constipated from the pain meds. Maybe your doctor can change your pain medication. Also drinking prune juice in the morning with a stool softner or Milk of Magnesia before you eat may help achieve a very soft/loose stool. If milk makes you consipated you can also try Goat's milk. It's easier to digest.

When you feel a little better you might try eating beans. Cooking can be a nice distraction from the pain. If you buy dried of beans you can soak them overnight in cold water. Then in the morning just toss them in the pot, with 6 to 8 cups of water, a bay leaf, and a small onion. Let them cook down an hour or so until they get soft then add the salt/seasoning to taste. (If you add salt or seasonings earlier the beans won't get soft enough). You can cook nearly any type of bean this way (red, white, black, pinto, etc.) and get tasty results, you can even add a piece of meat to the cooking pot for more flavor. I don't add garlic usually as it gives to bitter of a flavor. Some nights I just eat beans, rice, and collard greens for a "poor' gals dinner but it definitely gets soft results.

Hope you get to feeling better soon. You'll be in my prayers to recover ASAP with no fissures.

KYPS (Keep your poop soft)--
NoSleepSeattle

Old 03-26-2007, 11:37 AM   #8
(female)

tropicalbrenda HB User

Thanks all, well I finally am having somewhat regular bm's that are soft. The pain is lessening, but now for the past two nights I have been really nauseated. So much so that I can't eat my dinner. I've decreased my pain meds also but still need them. What could be causing all the nausea? Any ideas? I really can't afford to lose any weight.

Old 03-26-2007, 07:14 PM   #9
(female)

ericollin HB User

It may be your pain meds. Have you tried just using Ibuprofen for pain? I found that Ibuprofen worked almost as well as the prescription ones. Also, I'm sure you knew this but the prescription pain meds also can cause constipation (which you don't want). I have lost quite a lot of weight since my hemorrhoidectomy because the pain made me afraid to eat. I did have weight that I needed to lose though. Try to eat soft things as they then come out soft. I never ate sweet potatoes much before all of this but now I have one for lunch almost everyday. Canned veggies and fruit are also very soft too.

Old 06-05-2007, 11:57 PM   #10
(male)

Danny24 HB User
Re: Hemorrhoidectomy

Hello All!! THIS IS REGARDING SWELLING

I am almost to 4 full weeks post op. I have swelling especially after any bm which doesn't worry me too much alone. My concern is that there are a couple of small red bumps on or just surrounding the area where the incision is. My questions are...
Has anybody had this...is it normal. Is this due to the surgery/swelling. ALso, how long does the swelling last. I only had 1 thrombosed hemm removed. I am on the fence on whether I should have had the smaller ones done too..or if that would have been just too much. I wouldn't want the pain any worse than it has been, but then...god, I can't go through it again. IF YOU HAVE DEALT WITH THIS SWELLING ISSUE>>>>PLEASE HELP!!! I really hope this isn't more hemroidal tissue. Thanks...

Old 06-07-2007, 01:03 PM   #11
(male)

lodgen HB User

danny24

swelling takes time to go down ,mine took around two months,omega
3,6,9 helps its a liquid capsule,its very tender and inflamed from surgery
and it takes time to heal. toroidal is a muscle relaxer and reduces inflamation
my coloectal md gave it to me and it worked . its less constipating that
the stronger pain meds.soak in tub will help also .

Old 06-07-2007, 09:10 PM   #12
(male)

Danny24 HB User

Thanks for your fast response! My Dr. Actually gave me Torodol but said I could only use it for the 3 days after surgery. And my main question is...what did your swelling look like and feel like. I seem to have normal swelling, but with s small mass right next to it or on it...I cant tell if it is there because of the swelling...but it looks like another hemroid!!! And it comes after every single bowel movement. And the pain feels different than the pain i have expericned through surgery...I mean, does swelling even cause pain?? This pain feels like the pain I had when I had the hemroid that I just had removed!!!??

Has anybody experienced this?? Or, has anybody had a hemroid show up after surgery that stopped inflaming once you were completely healed. Please respond!! Thank you!!!

Old 06-07-2007, 09:56 PM   #13
(male)

lodgen HB User

danny24

i took toradol for a month it helped a lot to reduce the swelling,look
i had three taken out . if you had internal removed it can be an external
hemorrhoid that's causing this swelling ,hemmriod surgery can develop fissures and other hemorrhoids due to the trauma . i would have had more surgery if i did not do it all together. you need to go see the surgeon and get them to exam you and you wiil know for sure.swelling can cause pain but
not by now i think you have external hemroid or skin tag ,or the cut is still
healing.keep you stools soft snd no pushing . it will take time and you will heal
i know its tough . good luck

Old 06-08-2007, 06:59 PM   #14
(male)

Danny24 HB User

Thank you! It was an external that I had removed...not internal. And the things is...it flares up after each bowel movement...then goes back down throughout the nights sleep, then almost normal again in the morning. Then, the whole process starts over again. I saw my surgeon on Tuesday and he said there is no way to tell until all the swelling is gone and I am completely healed. I guess my only hope now should be that this is all due to swelling. Thank you for your advice!!!

Old 06-15-2007, 09:34 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

SusanGene HB User

What do you do if you have 2 hems the size of a pea each? I am Never constipated but I lift 11lb dogs sometimes and sit for most of each day. Which caused them? Can these shrink? Or will they just get bigger.

Closed Thread