It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2007, 11:32 AM   #151
(female)

Kathleen2828 HB User
Re: I Survived Sphincteroplasty Surgery Part II

JJ: Oh my God. I can't believe that is happening to you. I don't know if I could handle going through all that and having it be unsuccessful. The only thing that my surgeon mentioned that could cause that is tearing of the incisions or infection. I'm sure you were on tons of anti-biotics in the hospital...right? Make sure your doctor explains your condition during your visit. I feel so bad for you.

Old 05-10-2007, 11:37 AM   #152
(female)

declansmom HB User

Hi JJ,
I am thinking of you and praying for you. I hope your Dr gives you some explanation as to why you are still leaking. I would not think that the surgery could come undone so fast and with so much rest, but I have learned that anything is possible with our health.

What kind of diet are you on now? I know you talk alot of fiber and water, but kind of foods do you eat on a daily basis along with the fiber. Are there foods that you are not allowed to eat yet.

Please keep us posted and let us know how you are coping....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-10-2007, 12:24 PM   #153
Veteran
(female)

Kel123 HB User

Kathleen,

I definitely went through my bouts of depression also. I still am unregular sometimes. This morning I was on the pot for about 40 mins having an excruciatingly difficult soft Bm--go figure. I don't know how something so soft can hurt so much and take so long to get out! I thought I was going to die at the time. The hard areas are probably scar tissue. I have some bands right around my rectum that are still tender everyday. A daily reminder of what I went through 4 1/2 months ago. I had my incision wound site burned or cauterized extensively for about 6 weeks to help my healing. It has finally healed over. Did your insician open up at all?? Both Jou Jou and I had ours dehice, and it is so hard to heal that. I am glad you are doing so great.

Lisa,

I had a 180 degree tear through both my external and internal sphincters. I would ask your question to your surgeon. It is not a dumb question. I think they can probably fix one without the other, but I would hope that since you do have a small tear of the external, that they will fix that too. You don't want that to become a source of problems for you later. Hang in there, I know your date is fast approaching.

Jou Jou,

Thinking about you Let us know how you make out at the Dr.

Hugs,
Kelley

Old 05-10-2007, 12:40 PM   #154
(female)

campark HB User

Lisa,
My Dr. told me that he would repair the external sphincter, not the internal. My defect/tear was from 10 to 2 on a clock, almost half.

Kathleen,
How long are you sitting for, and what kind of a pillow are you using? I sit at a computer all day and just can't imagine going back to work that soon. I am having the sphincterplasty, perinealoplasty and levatorplasty. Do you have to use the bathroom all the time and how do you clean yourself? I hope you don't mind me asking, just trying to get as much information as I can.

JJ,
I am thinking of you..

Mindy

Old 05-10-2007, 12:53 PM   #155
(female)

declansmom HB User

Thanks for your replies.
My tear is my internal sphincter, he said from 8-3. Now i know what 8-3 means......dah a clock. He said my external sphincter was 'somewhat' repaired, but I had defects and scare tissue that were contributing. But most of my incontinence seems to be caused by the internal muscles. I have a call into his office to ask, but everytime i call to ask, the nurse just says they will know more when they do the surgery. I was just curious. I feel like I am developing more anxiety just waiting.

Old 05-10-2007, 01:14 PM   #156
(female)

robyns686 HB User

Lisa,

My dr fixed my external muscle with no mention of the internal muscle. When I had an ultra-sound post surgery, it showed that my internal muscle was not intact. I am really bummed about that. From what I understand though, and I could be very wrong, the internal muscle is very thin and it doesn't hold sutures well, which makes it hard to repair. Another surgeon I went to said that they generally do not attempt to repair the internal muscle for this reason. So, I am totally confused now. I would definately find out more details about your surgery. Let me know what they say. My only troubles at this point is urgency, but even that's getting better.

One thing I remembered the other day about my surgery was that when the incision site opened up, my surgeon had me rubbing the wound with gauze to get it to heal faster and I think that really helped speed things up. It didn't hurt either which is surprising. He wanted me to get the top layer of gunk off so that new cells could grow. He wanted me to rub until I saw bright red blood(it was just a smear). This wasn't until it was mostly healed though. So I don't think that it would work or feel good if the wound is still deep.

Old 05-10-2007, 01:24 PM   #157
Veteran
(female)

Kel123 HB User

Robyn and Lisa,

Healing by secondary intention is where the wound heals from the inside out. Placing gauze up in the wound causes the layer of internal skin to come off when removed. It serves the same purpose as "rubbing until bloody" which I personally wouldn't recomend doing. This does speed up the healing, as does sitz baths and hydrotherapy. (This is coming from the nurse in me--I have never heard any doctor recomend rubbing a wound with gauze. The packing is what does that--Basically it dries to the gauze and the sloughed off area gets pulled off with the dry gauze. This reveals bright beefy red granulation tissue)
Kelley

Last edited by Kel123; 05-10-2007 at 01:26 PM.

Old 05-10-2007, 02:10 PM   #158
(female)

declansmom HB User

I am really nervous now. I have read a lot about the repair of sphincter muscles. It is so controversal really. Some think if the internal sphincter is torn, you can not do any more damage trying to repair it. But some think it is not worth the surgery to try to repair such a delicate muscle. I am just so confused. Has anyone had their internal sphincter repaired, or has everyone just had their external?

He did say in our meeting that he was confident that I was a good candidate for the internal sphincter repair and that he has done hundreds of repairs with a good success rate of 83%. (I never thought I would settle for 83%).

My problem is my external muscle is being overworked and causing muscle spasms and weakness because i have no control with my internal muscles.
I am feeling more and more scared and confused.........

Old 05-10-2007, 02:33 PM   #159
(female)

Jou Jou HB User

Hi all,

My repair was of both internal and external sphincters. The next morning, my surgeon was so optimistic about the repair and believed that it would be very successful. My appt is tomorrow; I hope there is something he can do for me.

Lisa, ask your dr about how he will get to the internal sphincter. My dr drew me a simplified little picture to show what he would do during surgery. You asked about my diet; it is a regular diet with emphasis on getting 25 g fiber daily. I am small, so it sometimes seems that I am eating so much food to hit that goal. Although there isn't anything that I am not allowed to eat, I find that I often have to forego some things that I really want, so that I have room for the high fiber stuff. For example, I usually cook big breakfasts for the family on the weekend, but I have to go for the high fiber cereal; no room for waffles or eggs. I'd really like to eat a croissant, but instead have to choose the high fiber bread. It's not the worst fate in the world, but right now, it doesn't even seem to be helping, so what's the point? I am absolutely sticking with this high fiber diet for now, though. I'm sure you are anxious, who wouldn't/hasn't been? You've done your homework and made your plans. Have a cocktail and relax.

I used a lot of gauze, and perhaps that did speed up the wound healing after it dehisced (sp?). I could never have rubbed my wound (still can't), but packed it with clean gauze ~10 times a day. Although the incision opened along almost the entire length, my surgeon said it was "superficial" and that the underlying muscle was intact. The deepest opening was just at the back of my vagina, and that area is still not quite completely healed. It's not really open or draining, but red and fragile and so very tender. The rest of the incision looks really good, though, and there is not as much scar tissue all the way down the perineum as I feared earlier. I know I never over exerted myself and I haven't been constipated, so I can't imagine that I could have caused any damage internally. I'll let you know what the dr says. Thank you so much for your supportive responses. I did talk again to another former surgical patient, but she did not have any of these issues after her surgery.

Take care,
JJ

Old 05-10-2007, 02:41 PM   #160
(female)

declansmom HB User

Yes JJ you are right.....I am just spazing out!!

Let us know what the Dr says......

Old 05-10-2007, 02:52 PM   #161
Veteran
(female)

Kel123 HB User

Lisa,

I wouldn't worry too much. Things can't get much worse right???? My surgeon did draw a diagram as well as showed pictures from a book of the actual step by step repair. It was so overwhelming to me at the time that I don't recall much of it now. My repair did include the internal as well as the external muscle. 1/2 (180 degrees out of 360 degrees) was completely torn. It wasn't a little spot, it was huge and deep. I also have nerve damage as well. I am doing great, so don't be too worried. It is in your dr.s hands now. Say a lot of prayers, and be optimistic that you WILL be better. The power of a positive attitude goes a very long way. I know you are nervouse. I was terrified to say the least. You need to just come to peace with your decision, and know that you will not get any better if nothing is done. Take care, oh---and stop looking and researching on the internet--There comes a time when you end up just driving yourself crazy.
Kelley

Old 05-10-2007, 02:56 PM   #162
(female)

declansmom HB User

I have reached that crazy point.....

Thank you so much for your support and reading my crazy posts. I feel like there is so much going on that I don't want to miss any information. Now it is time to sit back and wait.....with the internet searching done.

Old 05-10-2007, 04:19 PM   #163
(female)

Jou Jou HB User

Lisa, Kelley is right-stop researching on the internet. You aren't likely to learn anything new, and you are just adding to your anxiety.

My dr. office called this afternoon and cancelled my appt. Some silly excuse about the dr having emergency surgery. Oh well, I guess I'll be waiting awhile longer to follow up on my issue.

JJ

Old 05-10-2007, 06:42 PM   #164
(female)

Kaleigh-Ann HB User

I need help desperately!!! I have gas incontinence. I have CONSTANT gas and when I hold in my farts the gas seeps out. When I have a bowel movement I don't have to fart for a while but gas still seeps out without me being able to control it. But the thing that makes this all unbearable for me is that it is causing me to have an odor problem. People are very rude and always make comments about how I smell like poop and I stink so I never go out in public. I literally stay in my room all day which is really sad considering that I am only 20 and I should be out having the time of my life. So I am just trying to figure out if any of you have odor problems because of the incontinence and if you do anything to lessen it. I don't know if surgery could help me so that my gas won't escape anymore but I am extremely depressed and I don't know what to do. I have an appointment with a gastroenterologist that is about 3 weeks from today. I plan on discussing the incontinence with him when I go but maybe I should get a referral from my PCP to go to a colon and rectal surgeon since they specialize in this. Anyway, the gas escaping is hard enough but the odor problem is unbearable. Does anyone know of anything that I can do? I NEED HELP!!!

Old 05-10-2007, 08:19 PM   #165
(female)

robyns686 HB User

That's a bummer about your dr appt, JJ. That happened to me too once...those darn people who need surgery. Hopefully, they can get you back in within a reasonble time.

It's has not been my intention the give bad advice. When I described the treatment I used to help heal my wound, I suppose it may have sounded strange or even goofy and perhaps I didn't describe it correctly. But I trust that it was the right treatment for me as my surgeon advised it and he is extremely competent and has tons of experience with women healing from this type of surgery. I am not suggesting to anyone to do as I do, I was just relaying my experience and what worked for me.

K-Ann,
I am sorry to hear about your problems and at such a young age. I would say going to your GI first and getting a referral is a good place to start. Do you have crohn's or colitis or have you had some kind of rectal surgery before that would be causing you these problems?

I have heard (although never tried) that charcoal tablets can help control gas odor. Have you ever tried those? You can find them on the shelves at the drug store. I believe Beano may be a brand name, maybe someone else has experience with these. Hang in there, I am sure there is a solution for you.

Closed Thread