It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2007, 05:15 PM   #286
(female)

miztee HB User
Re: I Survived Sphincteroplasty Surgery Part II

Lisa, I'm so sorry your stitches have opened up. That sounds like a very, very common - but not welcome - event following surgery, even when one doesn't move around a lot and "cause" it to happen. I think mine have opened in a few teensy places and will see the surgeon Thursday. But most of the incision seems intact. I am so sorry for those on this board that have had such an opening, but thank goodness we can support each other no matter what!

Congrats to your son for potty training himself just when you need him to. Smart kid! This will make it easier for you in the weeks to come.
Here's to an extra nap for all of us,
Mary

Old 06-05-2007, 08:24 PM   #287
Veteran
(female)

Kel123 HB User

Lisa,

I am so sorry! I called my Dr. almost everyday after my stitches opened up scared to death. The poor nurse reassured me every day that it was ok, and expected, and it would heal...she was right. For me, it was a very long road to complete healing and guess what?--after many days of continued soreness, and slight bleeding with BM's I did the mirror check to find that relentless little spot of mine opened up again!!!!!!!! NO wonder I have been sore. On the 18th of June it will be 5 months post op for me. I will probably just leave it alone--I am tired of Dr.s and concentrating on getting my other health issues under control now. The hole will heal. The gauze is important for pulling away the dead tissue, and the sitz baths really promote healing also. All the sudden, tou will notice it starting to heal up and granulate. My bottom was completely unrecognizable after surgery. It didn't even look like I had a rectum at all--rest assured I look normal now except for a lot of visible scars--but who's looking ...right??? My cauterizing was done a couple times in the first 8-12 weeks, and then every 2 weeks from 3 1/2 months on. It did help--but they won't do it when you are really raw and sore. They wait until the healing almost "stalls" and the cauterizing boosts the rate of healing back up again. Hang in there....It will get better. Remember to sit on the cheeks on a soft pillow--Don't stress your incision anymore. Take care.
Kelley

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-05-2007, 10:28 PM   #288
(female)

linds77 HB User

Lisa-

Thanks for your insight. My doctor never mentioned the possibility of not being able to have other children after this surgery. He did mention that I'd have to have a c-section. I am definitely going to contact him first thing in the morning because we want to have at least one more child. I'd certainly postpone my surgery until after I was finished having children.

Mindy/Jou Jou/Kelley/Mary-

Do you guys recommend waiting until I'm finished having children to have this surgery? I am unsure at this point what I want to do. Gas is my biggest issue and from what I hear that isn't going to change after surgery anyway. I know that I need the surgery--but if it puts me at risk to not being able to have more children--I might have to hold off for now.

Please send me your comments on this. Lisa, thanks and I am sorry. Did your surgeon mention this to you as a possible risk?

Thanks.
Lindsay

Old 06-06-2007, 04:59 AM   #289
(female)

campark HB User

Linds,
If I were you, I think I would wait to have the surgery until you are done having children. If you definitely want another one, then I would wait. I have two boys (8 and 5) and am done having any more. I would think with the surgery being what it is (recovery and all) I would hate for you to indure that then have more children, and possibly do more damage or much worse. If you can live with it until after you have more and you know you want more children I would hold off. I have lived with this for about 5-6 years, but knowing we don't want anymore children, I know I need to get this taken care of now, even though I am scared to death. I know you will make the right decision for yourself and your family, but having a precious baby will make the wait worth it

Lisa,
It is good to hear from you. I think that is my biggest fear as far as the surgery is having the incision open up. I know you will be just fine, and remember to take it easy. I can't imagine having a little one to care for, at least my 8 and 5 year are self sufficient, but I am sure they will want to be with Mommy while she is in bed. Just remember, you are already 3 weeks post surgery and everyday that passes is another day of recovery. Hang in there, you are doing great! I honestly don't know if I will be able to take a mirror and look at my incision when I have the surgery. It might freak me out too much. I don't do good with stuff like that

I have a appt. with my Dr. in 2 weeks to pin down a date for surgery. The last day of school was yesterday, so summer has begun. I am sure it will fly by and before you know it will be time for surgery..

Hope this finds everybody well.
Mindy

Old 06-06-2007, 06:13 AM   #290
(female)

robinlake HB User

Linds,
My surgey is also scheduled for the 15th. Let's hope it's our lucky day and every thing goes with out a hitch!! Exactly 2 days after my son turns one year old. What a crazy year!! My first repair was an end to end done by an obgyn 2 months post delivery but it didn't hold. So...here we go again--round number two. This one is being done by a colo-rectal guy--overlapping repair but now my fear is--what if it's too SMALL when he's done???
I never thought I had gas before (although I did feel bloated often) but after wards I had gas all the time!! Very embarrasing at work, to say the least. But my dr. did a stool sample and found candida and high bacterial levels so she gave me Tanaltib ( a natural antifungal ) and this made a world of difference!! It actually made me think that maybe I could get away with out having the surgery. She said it help in about 80% of people who have gas and bloating issues. She also put me on oral nystatin for a month to kill the yeast. The Tanalbit is a supplement so you don't need a script for it. Look back in the links--someone found a place on the internet to buy it cheaper than I get mine. I'll be interested to hear if it helps others on this site as much as it has helped me.
Good luck! I'll be interested to hear about your progress after surgery!
Robin

Old 06-06-2007, 06:57 AM   #291
(female)

Jou Jou HB User

Lindsay, You are, of course, the only one to decide what is right for you. But, for me, it was important to complete my family before having this surgery. For one, you aren’t having full blown accidents, and while the gas and leaking is not an insignificant problem, it seems like something that could be tolerated in the interests of having more children. Especially if something like the gas-x or tanalbit or chlorphyl could help. Secondly, additional pregnancies/deliveries could cause the same or additional damage. If you wait, you could, hopefully, have surgery to fix the problem without chancing more damage. My damage came with my 1st child. Afterward, my ob/gyn told me to wait until I was done having children before pursuing a remedy. When I began to see surgeons, many years later, the 1st one I saw told me that some women can get damage to the muscles and/or nerves just from the pressures and physical stress of pregnancy, even if the delivery is by c-section. This is just my opinion. You should talk to as many people as possible before you decide either way. It is hard to live with this crappy problem, but I am glad I waited. Also, interestingly, during my 2 subsequent pregnancies, I never experienced any leakage or incontinence of gas! It must have been something to do with the pressure of the baby, I don’t really know, but it was wonderful! I was very regular, with complete, easy bm’s. Good luck to you.
JJ

Old 06-06-2007, 12:17 PM   #292
Veteran
(female)

Kel123 HB User

Lindsay,

My doctor also did say that it would be better to be done having children before having this surgery. I would have to have a c-section with any subsequent births, but the main risk is of pressure during the actual pregnancy on the pelvic floor. This is not to say that you couldn't have more children, but I didn't want to risk it. Also, tears in the sphincter can and do occur without vaginal deliveries. I know it is a hard decision to make. I did not have the good fortune that Jou Jou had during her subsequent pregnancies. My leaking became a horrible issue while pregnant with my other 2 children. I also had urinary problems, so if I wasn't peeing all over myself, I was leaking stool all the time! I have heard that recovering from c-sections is so much harder than a vaginal delivery that I was not very excited to have that be my option either. I would talk to your dr. more extensively about it. Maybe he or she can offer more insight into it. If you are only having the gas issues, maybe try that supplement, and see if that helps in the mean time. Either way, you definitely deserve to not be miserable. Take care,
Kelley

Old 06-07-2007, 06:52 PM   #293
(female)

robinlake HB User

So my surgery is a week from tomorrow. I've been buying herbal baths and homeopathy remedies all with the hopes of speeding healing and minimizing the chances of infection. I think I'm ready (mentally) to do this. I'm so excited to live a normal life, go to yoga classes again, run with other people and be rid of the constant fear of embarrassment. But the question I'm afraid to ask is... what if the second time fails too? Then what do I do?
Pray hard right now, I guess.
Robin

Old 06-07-2007, 08:32 PM   #294
(female)

miztee HB User

Hi Robin... sounds like you're ready! Please keep us posted on your progress. My experience was different from some others on this thread in that I am 4 wks post-op now and my incision has not opened, in fact has healed nicely. I am almost back to normal with my BMs and look forward to getting the bottle of Tanalbit I ordered, to be sure I don't have too much candida in my intestine. I managed to get throuth a UTI, an impaction (remember the mag citrate???) and an external yeast infection, so I think I'm in the home stretch now. I just want to reassure you that some of us do have fairly quick healing and I hope you'll be one of us. It's a good thing your repair now is overlapping, not end-to-end. I'm not sure about the herbal baths, if they might be irritating. I've just used plain warm water in the tub twice a day and that seemed to do fine. It sounds like your main problem is gas, right? I have much less gas since the surgery; less trapped stool and less fermenting. I hope the same goes for you. How long will you be in the hospital?

If the "second time fails" then you'll just deal with it. You have more strength than you realize.

I'll be thinking of you...
Mary

Old 06-08-2007, 08:24 AM   #295
Veteran
(female)

Kel123 HB User

Hi Robin,

At this point, you have done all you can do. It is time to relax, pray, and have a lot of positive thinking that this surgery will be successful for you. I know there are a lot of "what ifs," and I was scared to death having the surgery..but keep a positive attitude-it really does help. Please keep us posted on your recovery when you can. What kind of post op directions have you had so far (length of stay, diet, restrictions??) I will be thinking of you.
Kelley

Old 06-08-2007, 10:58 AM   #296
(female)

szsv HB User

Robin,

Like Mary, I have healed exceedingly well. Had no impaction, no wound opening, yeast infection, or UTIs. I used my sitz bath (that the hospital supplied) 3 times daily, especially after BMs. My doc also had me using a cream on the incision that had "caine" in the name, usually used for hemorroids (sp). You can buy it over the counter. I also used gauze for the first couple of weeks, but just used pads after that for drainage. Only had 2 days that I had any bleeding, and it was a very small amount. I couldn't sit straight up for several weeks, but that passed quickly. I'm 7 weeks post op and am getting some energy back. Had a flair with my chronic fatigue/fibromyalgia, but that is better now. So, all in all, I've had it much easier than some of the people on the board. I do have problems retaining gas, as I have mentioned many times on the board. I am no longer having panic attacks about it and I keep telling myself I am getting better everyday. I'm doing the Kegel exercises 3 times daily, but they take about 3 - 6 mos. to show improvement. I've only been doing them 4 weeks, but I do think I see a little improvement. I have my BMs in the morning, usually 4-5 still. I'm taking stool softners and am using 1 tsp. of Benefiber each night in a can of V-8 juice. It has kept my stools soft, but I don't go a lot at a time, which is why I'm having so many of them. My digestive system has not caught up with the changes yet. However, I'm mostly free of gas in the afternoon. So I schedule everything around that right now. I don't work outside the home, so I can manage my time and BMs OK. The urgency has decreased, so I can hold it for longer periods of time. That has been a major concern about not leaving the house before my BMs stop about 11:30. I think I could make it to a public bathroom now if I needed to. I wear pads when I am out, just in case I have an accident, which hasn't happened. But, good insurance. I also have not had any leakage of BM in a couple of weeks.

The healing process will take time and is different for everyone. I was pretty ignorant about this whole process before the surgery. Found out so much by being part of this message board and the support is wonderful. I wasn't scared about the surgery beforehand because I didn't know enough to be scared about. Try to relax, and as Kelly said, you have done everything you can in preparation. Now it's just having the surgery, being patient with yourself with the healing and knowing it will take time. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Suzan

Old 06-09-2007, 09:35 AM   #297
(female)

Jou Jou HB User

Robin,
Good luck. I'll be thinking of you and hope the surgery and recovery go very smoothly.

JJ

Old 06-09-2007, 08:37 PM   #298
(female)

miztee HB User

Hi Suzan... my surgeon had me eliminate stool softeners and reduce fibers so that I'd have fewer BMs. He also Rx'd Lomotil (generic = Lomox) which works like anti-diarrheals like Immodium only faster, to slow the action of the colon. It has helped a lot and for the last 3 days I've only had one or two BMs each morning, around breakfast. I was concerned about getting constipated or forming an impaction, but that hasn't happened. About 5 yrs before this surgery I was diagnosed with "rapid transit" which resulted in 5-6 BMs per day so my colon wasn't absorbing nutrients, plus I had the problems of not being able to hold it due to the sphincter defects and rectocele. So perhaps you might try slowly cutting back on the stool softeners...? It worked for me.

I started Tabalbit 2 days ago, just two caps before lunch. Hmmm... I'm sniffling & blowing my nose several times each afternoon. Maybe I'm allergic to the plant tannins? Anyone else had this experience?

Mary

Closed Thread