It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2007, 11:55 AM   #31
Veteran
(female)

Kel123 HB User
Re: I Survived Sphincteroplasty Surgery Part II

Lisa,

I am so glad you found someone who can help put you at ease about your upcoming surgery decision. It sounds like you have made the right choice, and I wish you the best.

Mindy,

I am not a big person to begin with (118 pounds) In the 2 weeks prior to my surgery, I underwent 3 full bowel preps with golytly for the tests, colonoscopy, and then before my surgery so I lost a bit of weight before the surgery. These preps made me very weak, and dropped my blood pressure very low. All this combined with the no eating caused me to drop a lot of weight fast. I weighed about 110 before surgery, got down to a scary 103 after, and as soon as I started eating a regular diet, got back to my 120. I had to schedule my surgery and all the tests within a very short time period because I had the availability of help from my out of state family during that time. (It probably was not ideal to have 3 bowel preps within 1 1/2 weeks!!) My surgeon was wonderful and rushed all the results from the tests and fit me in immediately to accommodate my situation. I found out how bad my tear was and how low my pressures were from the manometry immediately while the tests were being done. Hang in there, keep pushing for your results.

Jou Jou,

My surgeon said that it was pointless to have tests done after if I wasn't having any problems. I sort of wanted to know if everything was fixed, but he said they were expensive and the insurance probably wouldn't cover the cost after surgery. He said the true test was my own personal control. Between the colonoscopy and the tests, mine were over $20,000. Glad I only had to pay $15 I don't even want to know how much the hospital stay and surgery was! I am actually feeling better today. The dr. told me to go back to soaking in the tub to help close up my wound. The water sure does help! It is looking a little better, and definitly feeling better now. I go to the Ob/gyn tomorrow. Take care

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-03-2007, 12:33 PM   #32
(female)

campark HB User

Kelley,
Thanks so much for your response. I too am not very big (115 pds) so I was alittle concerned about the weight loss and the weakness factor. I am sure through it all you will survive. I called again this morning and I told them I called last Thursday and nobody has called me back. She said she would give the message to the nurse to call. But nothing! I have my appt. with the other Dr. next Wednesday and I want to take my test results with me. I don't know what else I can do. I really think it is kinda rude to leave someone hanging. I am very frustrated. I am so glad you are doing so good, it helps to talk to someone.

JJ,
I think of you and your ecovery often and I know you are through the worst of it. I am so thankful for this board and all the ladies on it. Continue to be strong, I know you will.

Talk to everybody soon.
Mindy

Old 04-03-2007, 01:30 PM   #33
(female)

Jou Jou HB User

Mindy,

I'll add my thoughts to Kelley's about the weight. At 105, I don't have a lot of pounds to spare, and like you, was worried about possible weight loss. I spoke to another patient who did indeed lose about 15 pounds immediately following surgery. That was not my experience. Although I have not actually stepped on a scale, I think my weight is about the same at this point. My clothes fit the same way. Any loss in the days following surgery must have been minimal and I'm sure I have rebounded. My diet progression was quicker than Kelley's, and I'm sure that will be a factor for anyone having this done. My blood pressure was also VERY low while in the hospital, but other than a little more volume in the IV, I didn't require any intervention. By discharge day (7 days post op), it had returned to normal. I was also pretty concerned about being NPO for so many days; I thought it would be hard. It was easy! Food was about the last thing from my mind in those 4 days following surgery. I was never hungry. In fact, when I finally got cleared for a clear liquid diet, I didn't even want anything. Being able to have ice water did feel nice to clear my throat. To summarize, I wouldn't worry about the lack of food and weight loss. You will do fine. One thing that I haven't read anything about in this thread is the very unpleasant prep before surgery. I will tell you my experience so that maybe you will be better prepared. I was admitted the morning before the scheduled surgery so that I could have the "clean out" in the hospital. Trying to drink an entire gallon of golytely (should be called goheavily!) was an ordeal. After awhile it made me nauseated, but I kept trying to force it in. Nothing happened for many hours, but when it finally did, yikes! Hour followed hour of URGENT bms. I often couldn't make it the 5 feet from bed to toilet. I must have soiled 6-8 pairs of undies plus numerous gowns. I tried to protect my clothes and bed by building a protective barrier of pads, paper towels, tp tucked in my cheeks. It sometimes worked and sometimes didn't. On several occasions, I was mopping feces off the floor, toilet, my legs. If I had had some depends, I would have happily used them to prevent the mess and distress. I was in tears. Another mistake that I made was allowing the IV to be placed in my right hand. Being right handed, I had to use the IV hand to do my (very frequent) personal cleaning. What a mess! On more than one occasion, I got feces on the IV tubing, although I was being careful. I finally learned to drape the tubing around the back of the neck to keep it from falling into the pathway of my hand movements. This helped some, but try to insist that the IV be placed on your non-dominant side. Once that IV had to be changed, I insisted that the IV's go on my left side. Keep the IV pole between you and the bathroom so that you don't use valuable time trying to get it in position. By the time that the golytely started working, I had sent my husband and kids home. For me, it was easier to deal with this bowel prep without any company. I will also suggest using Desitin or some kind of skin cream to prevent chafing down there. You don't need to go into surgery with an already chafed area. When is your surgery scheduled?

Kelley, your posts continue to encourage me. Good luck with the Ob/Gyn. I hope she/he can give you the kind of support and guidance you need to get back in action! Good luck with that, too. I know that I will be feeling anxious about it once my healing is much further along. It is a long way off for me, still. Both of my drs' patients that I spoke to before the surgery did tell me that they were able to be fully functioning in that regard.

Take care, JJ

Old 04-03-2007, 01:45 PM   #34
(female)

declansmom HB User

Wow, thanks for all the great info. I too am only 110 lbs and was curious about the weightloss.

Kelley,
Were you admitted the day before to do bowel prep? My surgery is scheduled for a Monday morning. As far as I know, I will do my bowel prep the night before and then go to the hospital.

JJ,
Have you had to do a bowel prep for a colonoscopy before? How would you compare that? I had to do a prep for my colonscopy and that was an interesting experience. I never thought my bowels would become clear liquid. Is that what you expereinced too?

Old 04-03-2007, 02:22 PM   #35
(female)

Jou Jou HB User

Lisa, I have never had a colonoscopy, so I cannot compare. All of my diagnostic tests just required enemas. After all the golytely induced bms, I also had 2-3 enemas the morning of the surgery. The results after all that were mostly clear liquid bms with tiny flecks of stool still present. The upside of all the prep was not having a bm for several days following surgery and the stinky smell typical of bm was absent until just yesterday! If I had to repeat the golytely experience, I would invest in some disposable undies. Maybe I'm silly, but the last thing I wanted to do was clean the hospital floor and toilet and have poop running down my legs. The induced bm's seemed to happen in waves, so there would be some time in between the waves when I could recover my composure and try to get ready for the next wave. All the best to you as you gather your information and make preparations. JJ

Old 04-03-2007, 04:31 PM   #36
Veteran
(female)

Kel123 HB User

Ok Lisa and Jou Jou,

Here is my bowel prep info. I was not admitted to the hospital until 2 hours before my scheduled surgery. I did the golytly bowel prep with dulcolax pills starting the night before the procedure. My dad has had many colonoscopy's so he pretty much gave me the lowdown. I pretty much just sat on the toilet for 2 hours with magazines, books and a stool with my wonderful drink on it. I drank with a straw with my nose plugged and was still nauseated. I didn't leave the toilet until I ran clear. I did not have any messy issues because I was on the toilet the whole time. I wore a pad that night and protected my mattress, and had some small what I called "liquid episodes" for a couple hours the next morning. I had the same thing happen with my colonoscopy except I did the 26 pills for prep instead. I tolerated taking the pills better, but it dragged on for hours and hours. I didn't start going for 3 hours and then was literally on the toilet still at 2 am and I started at 7 pm!! I hated the taste of the gallon golytely, but the effects were quicker and when I was done, I was done. It didn't drag on like the others. I also did the same prep for my tests. I became very weak and was definitly dehydrated by the time I got to the hospital. I was dizzy, had a migraine, and could barely walk. They started an IV and I felt better. My preps were all within 1 1/2 weeks and that is why I was so week. Lisa, If you had the prep for the colonscopy, it will be the same. I also think my surgery cleanout was a little bit easier because of the 2 prior preps. There wasn't much left in there to begin with. I used wet toilet wipes to prevent chaffing. I was awfully chaffed for the colonscopy, the nurses commented how badly they felt for me. The surgery prep was better because I was more careful with wiping. You will do fine.
Kelley

Old 04-04-2007, 10:16 AM   #37
(female)

Jou Jou HB User

Kelley,

It sounds like your bowel prep was a little quicker than mine, and you were probably better prepared from your previous experiences. I hope that Lisa and Mindy's experiences are closer to yours than mine, but it is helpful to know the possibilities of both. The horrible golytely had me going from about 7 pm through most of the night. I don't think I could have stayed on the toilet the whole time. How is the wound healing going for you? And are you still sensitive along the scarring? All the best, JJ

Old 04-04-2007, 11:02 AM   #38
Veteran
(female)

Kel123 HB User

Hi Ladies,

Well today was NOT the best day for me. I saw my ob/gyn and he did a thorough vaginal and rectal exam to see how everything was healing, and why I may be having the pain issues. I did not know this, but I had a huge incision with stitches in my vagina! I don't know why I did not know this, but anyway, there were some "bumps" in there that turned out to be a buried stitch that was inflamed. He un-buried it. He said the scar tissue just takes time to heal. He also did a rectal exam (it was not painful) and was very impressed with how tight I am. He did a lot of silver nitrate cautery on my wound and I have to go back to see him in 2 weeks. He said he would continue this until it is completely healed. That was exactly what I wanted to hear! My surgeon is so busy that I sit in the waiting room for 1 1/2 to 2 hours before every appt, so I am going to continue going to the ob/gym to have this followed. He at least is offering to help get it healed up. He numbed me up a bit, but it hurt like @#$!! It is still very sore now. I don't remember it hurting like this when the surgeon did it, but today, he was much more aggressive. He wanted to get all "new" tissue so it would heal better. Now, the reason I am so down....I got home, picked up my daughter from school, and went to the rest room to find you know what in the undies! I am sooooo discouraged! Here I was, telling everyone (including my dr. today) that I have been 100% fully continent! And now this! I am so bummed, and don't know if it has anything to do with the exam today or not. It wasn't a full blown bm, but that tapioca smear that we all know. I feel so depressed right now I could cry. I hope that since this is the only time it has happened that it had something to do with the dr. visit. I usually empty my bowels in the morning around 9am or so and my dr. appt was at 8am and I couldn't go until about noon. Maybe I just need to better about sticking to my routine. I wanted to empty out before the appt, but when you don't have to , what do you do???? Anyway, thanks for listening everyone--I hope I haven't ruined everyone's day with my news.
Kelley

Old 04-04-2007, 11:10 AM   #39
(female)

robyns686 HB User

JouJou - I would say that control was a steady progress and that it seemed like biofeedback really helped. I never really had any accidents after my surgery except for the very occasional gas leakages. One of the longest lingering effects is the fear, which has been the hardest to overcome. I am getting there though. It's dealing with my own anxieties and fears about the future. Also, I have a cosmetic issue with the rectal area. I have lots of extra skin around my rectum that I didn't have before. I believe the doctors would call them skin tags. Not a pleasant sight and it makes me insecure during sex. Everyone is different though so that may not occur for others. I believe Sacral Nerve Stimulation is not currently FDA approved and is going through safety testing and long term testing. It is currently being used to treat urinary incontinence. I believe it helps even in the case of pudendal nerve damage and it seems to work best if you have an intact sphincter, which is what a sphincteroplasty would do for you. Most of the studies I have read about spincteroplasty surgery is that it is pretty rare that women are worse off than before the surgery. Most see an improvement that ranges from fair to excellent with most in the good range. The Cleveland Clinic did a long term study and that is what they found. The success rate does correlate however with the skill of the surgeon. I repeated an ultrasound because of the fistula and that is when I found out that the internal muscle still had a defect. From what I understand, it is a bit harder to fix the internal muscle because it is much thinner and can't hold sutures as well. I would ask your dr about that hough becuase I am not expert. The more I learn the less I understand.

Old 04-04-2007, 01:27 PM   #40
(female)

Jou Jou HB User

Hi Kelley, I am so sorry that you have had this experience today. I guess we can see from Robyns686, besides our own first hand knowledge, that we will live with a certain amount of uncertainty and fear for awhile. However, it seems that you could almost certainly blame your visit to the ob/gyn for the accident today. Besides being probed in a variety of ways and having your tissue aggressively manipulated, you also were numbed in that area. I am hoping that you see an immediate return to your previous good track record of complete continence. I am with you when you say, what do you do when you don't have to go? It would be so convenient to choose when to empty the bowels, but my system has never worked that way, before or after surgery. At least he is giving you some help for the remaining areas to be healed. Aren't you glad you had this appt before returning to sex? Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Robyns686, thank you for your continued input. It is good to know that most women will see at least some improvement rather than being worse than before. I did have some biofeedback before the surgery and will likely have another session or two once the wound is healed. I'll admit that the biofeedback did not seem to help at all before, but I did have a very large defect of both internal and external sphincters. Perhaps now that they have been mended, the biofeedback will help more. I'm not sure that I really still know how to do a correct Kegel. At what point in your recovery did you have biofeedback?

I, too, have some skin tags (knobs of scar tissue) around my anus and it looks like there will be knobby scar on the perineum, too. I don't think the appearance is too horrible, but the knobs make it difficult to completely clean after a bm. Although I am far from any such action, my surgeon did say that there were "cosmetic" remedies that could be considered at a later date. Has that been a consideration for you?

Again, I am very happy that this thread/board remains active. It is so helpful.

JJ

Old 04-04-2007, 01:48 PM   #41
Veteran
(female)

Kel123 HB User

Hi Jou Jou,

Thank you for the kind words and for making me feel better. I all of the sudden want to go into "hibernation mode" again and not even tell my husband about this experience today. I too, hope the visit to the dr. was the reason this happened to me. I read your post about the knobby skin tag. I guess I also have one at the rectum. It is a hard big knot of scar tissue. It is sensitive to touch and seems to pull at my rectum at times. I also sometimes get these weird twinges of shooting pain that sort of make me jump sometimes and say "owe" I forgot of course to mention this to the dr. today. I wonder if it is that spot on my rectum. Mine is not very noticable because it is tucked into the cheeks per se. JJ, do you also have stitches in your vagina? Did you know that prior to surgery? I am sure my dr. told me at some point, and I just don't remember. Anyway, I am glad to get the all clear about the sex, and my ob gyn was wonderful to talk to about it. He never makes me feel bad and gives good suggestions which is what I needed. Take care,
Kelley

Old 04-05-2007, 05:47 AM   #42
(female)

campark HB User

Kelley,
I am sure that with all the trauma that your ob/gyn did along with the exam, I am sure it is because of that... Try to keep your chin up, you have done so great. You have shown no signs of incontinence except yesterday, and look what you went through. I know it is hard, but you have been so strong and such an inspiration to all of us, I know it will be ok..

I told you I called the Dr. again on Tuesday, the nurse called me back at 4:45pm and told me that the Dr. has been in surgery all day and that he has the test results. I told her I really want to know and she said he would either call that night (tuesday night) or the next day (wednesday). Well, as you can see it is Thursday and and still nothing. I keep getting madder and madder and at this point I just want my test results (I don't even care if I see him) so I can take them with me to my other appt. next week. My husband is getting very irritated also.. I can't tell you how much it really ticks me off. Don't they think people would want to know? Sorry I just need to vent

JJ, I have not scheduled my surgery yet, as I have not even gone over my test results with my Dr. to see what the next step is. Very frustrating. I hope you are feeling better with every day that passes. I think of you often as well as the other ladies on this board. You are in my prayers.

Kelley,
How long before you were able to drive a car?

Everybody Take Care and if I don't talk to you before Easter, I hope everybody has a wonderful Easter with their family
Mindy

Old 04-05-2007, 08:02 AM   #43
(female)

robyns686 HB User

Kel123 - I know I just joined the discussion, but I would like to offer some support. You are only 3 months out of surgery and you are probably thinking that you should not have any troubles and be healed by now. At 3 months my bum was still somewhat numb. A had a couple surgeons tell me that the tissue, nerves, etc take about 12-18 months to completely heal. If you think about it, why would your sphincter muscle be working perfectly. It just went through major trauma. If you cut your muscle in your leg and then reattached it, you would have to go through months of physical therapy to get it strong again. I wouldn't worry too much. It is going to take a while to feel normal down there. You'll be surprised how much better things are in a month or 2 more. I am sure it had something to do with your appt too, especially if you had some novacaine. I remember all kinds of funny sensations down there, aches, pain, sharp pains -like muscle spasms, sometimes I even thought I was leaking when I wasn't. I don't have those sensations anymore and it feels very normal. I know exactly how you feel, things like that send me into a spinning universe of anxiety and I cry and cry. So, even though I know it's hard to not worry, don't be too hard on yourself.

Old 04-05-2007, 08:38 AM   #44
(female)

Jou Jou HB User

Kelley,

Of course you need your husband's support, but at the same time, it's perfectly ok to "hibernate", emotionally or physically, for a little bit until you recover your composure. I find that I need time alone to process my anxieties, trials, etc and then am able to talk more freely with my husband. I was so sensitive about the problem that I only described the surgery in the vaguest terms. What an eye opener he had from my surgeon immediately following surgery!!

My understanding before surgery was that the incision would be y shaped from the back of the vagina to both sides of the rectum. What I don't know is if the incision was all the way through the skin layers inside the vagina and rectum or just the muscles underneath the skin. I'll ask on my next appointment (next week).

I, too, have the occasional quick shooting pain originating from the rectum.

I am pleased to say that my progress is continuing. I now have bm's just once a day-what a relief! The consistency is not what it was before surgery, but I am still working on normalizing my diet, so maybe in time...The urgency is still present, sometimes I can delay a few minutes, sometimes I can't. I'm not sure that I will feel comfortable leaving home until there is some more predictability about when I'll have a bm or whether I'll be able to hold one without disaster.

Hang in there, Kelley, and let us know how your next few days are.

JJ

Old 04-05-2007, 10:17 AM   #45
Veteran
(female)

Kel123 HB User

Jou Jou, Mindy and robyns686,

Thank you both so much for the support and kind words. I guess I was doing so good that this little step back was really discouraging for me and hard to handle. I think I am also going through a little bit of depression about my lupus. I feel like crap all the time at 34 years old! It is just not right to crap on yourself, have severe arthritis and feel like a semi truck ran over you every night at my age. I am very hopeful that I can feel better with my lupus when I have my appt on Tuesday. My appt last week was canceled due to the doctor having an emergency. I guess I felt like I was able to close this chapter in my book, and move on to the next and when it reopened yesterday, I was very sad and upset. Thank you all for everything, you definitely have lifted my spirits.

Robyns686, Thank you about the insight into the "true" recovery period. When the dr. sais that it will be a 6-8 week recovery, you pretty much feel like you should be healed and all better by that mark. There is still an obvious feeling of just having surgery in my rear, and as much as I am trying to move on, It feels like it is taking forever. I know I just need more time. It is good to know that my feelings are normal, and things seem right on track with where you were at this time. When did you resume sex??? Was it painful? I am so scared, but it is getting to be that time. My husband is wonderful, and I know he will take it slow and be understanding, but I am still nervous. Thanks for the continued support.

Jou Jou,

Glad your doing so well. Have a wonderful Easter everyone!
Kelley

Closed Thread