It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2007, 01:29 AM   #1
(male)

stevie_22 HB User
Can constipation affect your breathing???

I am a 22 year old male and I have a Mucosal Prolapse. I was diagnosed in 2005 after waking up one morning only to find that I was severely constipated, I looked into the mirror only to find that when I strained I would see tissue come out of my rectum and then it would go back in. In retrospect I never had the slightest problem with constipation, I used to have 3 BMs a day. Now I'm lucky if I have 2 or sometimes 1. My doctor told me to switch to a high-fiber diet.

Late last year I was constipated for like 5 days straight, I consumed so much fibre (metamucil) and water and I still couldn't go! on the 5th day I was on my second day of my new job, I had these constant strong urges to defecate and I would go to the bathroom only to be constipated, the prolapse was getting in the way (like always). So then I went back to work and I noticed that my breathing was gradually getting shallower and shallower 'til I couldn't take deep breaths, I then started to have tunnel vision. My heart was pounding, I got up and ran outside to get some fresh air, my supervisor follwed me out and asked what was wrong, I told her to call the ambulance. I was sent to the hospital only to find out that what I have suffered from what was an "Anxiety Attack", they told me that I worked myself up of anxiety throughout these 5 days. I had 3 different doctors from different days tell me the same thing, they told me that long-term constipation doesn't affect your breathing at all (Doesn't it affect your diaphragm???). I was diagnosed with general anxiety disorder.

I sometimes have back pains and pains on the left and right side of my chest and ribs, it pervades here and there at different times, during constipation and after defecation.

I saw a Gastroentrologist, he said that my Mucosal Prolapse was caused by life long straining, he suggested that I get a "Rubber Band Ligation" procedure done for Mucosal Prolapse, I will be awake during this procedure. Does anyone know if this will help? What he's going to do is take about 3 inches of my rectum and "Band" it. It will then decapitate during a BM. Does anyone know if this will help? Can anyone relate to me? And does constipation affect your breathing or is it just my anxiety that's causing it?

Thanks guys.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread