It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2007, 10:54 AM   #1
(male)

starling80 HB User
Abdominal Discomfort & Occasional Pain

I'm a 34 year old male with a desk job and a bit of a weight problem (6'2"/300lbs). I've been taking Prilosec OTC daily since October 2005 on the advice of my GP, who wasn't sure I needed anything prescription-strength to address my esophageal spasms and frequent heartburn. Thus far, Prilosec OTC has addressed those two things.

Over the past 6 months, I've had occasional (1-2 times per week), fleeting mild pain in my lower left abdomen, that usually lasts for a few seconds and then dissipates...almost like a muscle cramp, but inside of me. I had hemerhoids, but was able to "cure" them via improved diet (less fat, more fiber, more water), which caused less need for straining and softer BM's.

Now, 7-10 days ago, I began having what I can only describe as discomfort on the right side of my abdomen a few times per day, becoming more frequent. My fear initially was that I was developing appendicitis, as I was having some mild, but not constant pain in the lower right quadrant...and it still may well be that, but it's continued for this long; doesn't that usually progress more rapidly than over nearly 2 weeks?

From there it progressed to occasional discomfort (or very, very mild pain) right around where the pancreas, gall bladder and liver sit...between my ribs and midsection (parallel with my navel, on the side). Also, some aching in the lower back, approximately where the right kidney would be.

I have taken no pain meds...the discomfort/pain hasn't been constant, just noticable a couple times per hour, sometimes far less frequent. I haven't lost my appetite or become tired. Don't have a fever. Just the frequent discomfort that seems to rotate amongst lower left abdomen, lower right abdomen (more often) and upper right abdomen. Yesterday, I didn't eat any solids and the discomfort has slightly subsided today, but it's still there. Still not eating solids today, thought my appetite is certainly there despite a gallon of water.

My mother has had IBS ("cured" with medication...very mild case) and several colon polyps removed since she turned 40 (she's now 55).

Probably will go to the doctor on Tuesday, just curious to see if others have had similar experiences.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-09-2007, 11:09 AM   #2
(female)

Tahoe2 HB User
Re: Abdominal Discomfort & Occasional Pain

I don't have a solution to your problem, but I have the exact same issue. A couple of years ago I was diagnosed with acid reflux. I tried many different meds (prilosec, prevacid, nexium). All seemed to ease the pain of what the doctor said were erosions in my stomach from the acid, but nothing would stop the reflux. I could even reflux water up. Finally, after changing doctors we tired a med called aciphex. I took it for a month and had no signs of anything for almost a year. It was great. About 6 months ago it came back with a vengance and aciphex doesn't seem to work. However, I haven't asked to have the dosaged moved up. Anyway......over the last 3 weeks I have experienced the same thing you have. Some time the pain is bad. My husband thinks I'm crazy for not going to the doctor sooner, but how often have you been to the doctor (or read these post) when they can't figure out what it is and they just give you more meds? It's frustrating and it makes me feel like it's all in my head. I saw your post though b/c I was looking up appendicitis. I've also heard though that your gall bladder will hurt through to your back like that as well. I had an ultrasound done years ago and that came back fine....but that was years ago. Who knows! Making an appt. with a gastro today! Good luck!!! Post if you find out anything!!!!

Old 04-09-2007, 09:15 PM   #3
(male)

starling80 HB User

Very strange. The discomfort is nearly gone now...if anything it's localized more to the left than to the right.

I ended up going on a 3-day fast, of sorts. I ate no solid food between Friday lunch and lunch today. Drank lots and lots of water, some fresh apple juice and an occasional orange juice. By this morning, the discomfort was only an occasional throbbing sensation in my abdomen, so I figured I could break the fast and ate a very small salad and bowl of potato soup. No side affects at all and my gut didn't start hurting.

Had Chinese food (bland...pork and veggies, mostly veggies) followed by a bout of loose stools and I'm now feeling pretty good.

Weird. We'll see what tomorrow brings. I haven't gone back on the Prilosec OTC yet...waiting for heartburn, etc. to come back before I do so. Will try to combat it with much better diet this time around...

Old 04-10-2007, 10:46 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hope4All HB UserHope4All HB User

Ive had lower right abdominal pain for 2 months now.....I had blood tests, colonoscopy, sonogram and CTscans. There is NO anotomical reason for my pain, my Dr says its IBS. All my upper and lower body parts inside are all normal and healthy.

IBS can be your problem too. I'm taking probiotics and drinking lots of water.

Hope

Closed Thread