It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2007, 05:03 PM   #1
(female)

keren HB User
Angry Kefir and bloating

I have recently tried Kefir and love the taste of it. Unfortunately it doesn't agree with me and makes me uncomfortably bloated - no that's an understatement - ABNORMALLY bloated. Literally my lower belly will pop out when I take kefir.

So I'm wondering what is going on. I stopped for a week or two and just bought a new bottle of it because I couldn't resist..especially when everyone raves about it. But it's happening again.

This bloating literally affects all parts of my body, even my face puffs up and I have gained weight from it - maybe from water retention? But the 2 weeks I didnt take it, I lost the weight again but only because I went on a diet - otherwise I wouldn't have lost it.

Anyways, does this mean I'm allergic to it because I am having such adverse reactions? I have NO problem with milk or yogurt. This has actually stumped me and made me quite sad if I can't eat this stuff without major bloating and water retention and weight gain.

Anyone come across the same problem?

Old 04-12-2007, 05:55 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Brocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB User
Re: Kefir and bloating

Kefir is full of probiotics and you may be having a "die off" or "Herxheimer" reaction to it. The good bacterial in the kefir is overpowering some yeast or bad bacteria and causing the reaction. As long as you aren't itching or having breathing problems, I doubt it's an allergic reaction, since you don't have other problems with dairy.

If you want to try again, perhaps just start with 1-2 tablespoons of the yummy stuff a day and gradually work your way up to a full glass. Let your body slowly adjust to the different flora.

Cally

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-12-2007, 08:09 AM   #3
(female)

keren HB User

ok i shall give that a try =)

Old 04-14-2007, 10:22 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

karen,
Please let us know how you make out?
I drink kefir frequently with no problems.

Cally's explanation is about as good as I have heard but that type reaction is frequently associated with flu like symptom.

Harry

Old 04-16-2007, 08:12 AM   #5
(female)

keren HB User

Awww Hi Harry - you are still around the boards I see. You got it, I shall give you an update this week.

Old 04-16-2007, 01:10 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

RetiredDirector HB UserRetiredDirector HB User

I drink Kefir too, usually a glass in the afternoon. I take Florastor in the morning for the probiotics and then the Kefir for the same reason in the afternoon. I've never had any problems from drinking it. The store here where we shop carries Original (plain), Strawberry, Raspberry, and Strawbery/Banana. Are there other flavors that we don't get from our store?

Old 04-16-2007, 02:09 PM   #7
(female)

keren HB User

those are the only flavors i know of but actually you get more - because all we have here in Los Angeles or at least the stores I've gone to ..have only strawberry and plain

Closed Thread