It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2007, 09:05 AM   #1
(female)

redjb7 HB User
first time with diverticulitis

I was recently diagnosed with div, after coming into my doc with lowgrade fever and mild pain in lower abdomen. He put me on two antibiotics - told me to eat a mild diet - I ended up dropping one antibiltic (side effects) - It is the sixth day since the beginning of the attack - I have loose stools (also narrow), and just some tinglings in my gut - I had been eating tst, applesauce, pbutter(no nuts), cereal in morning, one time tried chicken and baked potato (no skin). I am thinking, after surfing on the net, that I should probably stick to a liguid diet to get my gut well, even though the doc said it didn't matter. HELP - I have to teach next week and then leave for a trip in two weeks. I NEED TO GET WELL with no pain and no loose stools.

Last edited by redjb7; 04-22-2007 at 09:06 AM.

Old 04-23-2007, 11:24 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Re: first time with diverticulitis

redjb,

As you know some antibiotics will cause you to have very loose stools since it kills off the good intestinal bacteria as well as the offending bacteria.

I suggest you start eating a good brand of yogurt 3 or 4 times daily and take several probiotic supplements to help re-balance the friendly intestinal bacteria.

I like and use Stonyfield Farm yogurt best-- it contans 4 additional cultures. Probiotic supplements that I use and think work well are Culturelle, Primal Defense and PB-8.

I wish you well---Harry

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2007, 05:50 PM   #3
(female)

redjb7 HB User

Thanks Harry,

I will get that stuff immediately.

Meanwhile I am on my seventh day of antibiotics(of ten) - Should I start adding fiber gradually?

Old 04-24-2007, 10:00 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Alagaesia HB User

Probiotics will not work if you are taking the antibiotic as well. You must wait until you've finished your antibiotic treatment.

Old 04-24-2007, 10:41 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

redjb,

There are over 400 different bacteria stains in the GI tract---not all have the same function or purpose.

There have only been 57 in the small intestines that have been identified and named or numbered and about half that many in colon that have been ID'ed.

Some strains of probiotics are not affected by antibiotics and other probiotics strains keep from cleaning your entire intestinal tract out. And, every antibiotic reacts differently-- depending on the type you are taking and strength of your own immune system.

In some areas of the world like Europe -- probiotics are combined with antibiotics for infections to prevent just such reactions that you are experiencing.

I would not start a fiber supplement until you finish the antibiotic round then start slowly.

Harry

Old 04-27-2007, 11:44 AM   #6
(female)

redjb7 HB User

I finished the one course of antibiotics last night, but I am feeling some slight discomfort again in my left (and sometimes right) abdomen on and off. Stools are still small and loose and I have gas- I have started on the yogurt, hoping this will help. Does the discomfort mean necessarily that I still have diverticulitis? I made an appt to see the doc on Tuesday. I have no idea about what to eat now.

Last edited by redjb7; 04-27-2007 at 11:46 AM.

Closed Thread