It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2007, 10:44 AM   #1
(male)

BigBend HB User
Antibiotics made me "regular"?????

Long story short, I've had what I call a "slow digestive system" for years.

I am 6'0 225 lb athletic male, but I eat "like a girl", because I get very full very quick, and get an uncomfortable abdomen when very full. I often feel bloated when I eat.

As an example, I can go to restaurant with the guys, and most guys (even ones smaller than me) will order a steak, baked potato, etc etc...swallow it down etc...

I on the other hand don't eat half that much, and will order an appetizer plate of wings, or a single chicken breast with steamed broccoli, and I get full from that..

Also, from various "bathroom talk" that they guys I work with have around the workplace, it seems to be that most of them have a bowel movement every day, and some twice a day...

I usually have one every 3 days or so...and thought that I had an unusually slow digestive system, or are constipated..

I recently took several courses of antibiotics for a UTI, and now my digestive system seems totally different.

I now have a bowel movement every day, and sometimes twice a day, and they seem healthy and normal.....I'm actually enjoying them to be honest...it kind of feels like I'm cleaning my system out, and making room for more food.

Now.....I have to wonder, did the antibiotics do something?

Did the antibiotics kill off a bug or bacteria that was causing my bowels to be so slow?

Does my "slow bowels" sound like a symptom of a recognized condition?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-09-2007, 11:09 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Re: Antibiotics made me "regular"?????

Big Bend,
Usually when you have a BM every 3 days -- it is constipation. And constipation is usually caused by not intaking enough fiber for your intestines to function normally as well as the right kind of fiber.

I don't think it was the antibiotic but not enough of the right kind of fiber and drinking enough water daily.

There is a post that I wrote at the top of this page about normal BMs. It is the last post #10 in the Sticky Thread -- Information Archive.
I think you should read it.

I wish you well---Harry

Last edited by Harry; 05-09-2007 at 11:14 PM.

Closed Thread