It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2007, 04:55 AM   #1
(female)

colettem HB User
Bowel Resection - recovery questions.

I had a bowel resection about 5 weeks ago, and I would love to know if what I am experiencing is normal and how other people recovered.

I had the surgery for a twisted bowel, and as it was emergency surgery I have had little information on recovery etc and feel a bit in the dark.

My scar (about 11 inches - very impressive!) has healed well, but for the past week I have been suffering with nausea which is making it very difficult to eat and drink - my GP thinks my stomach is just a "little irritated" and has given me anti sickness pills but they don't really help.

I also have a weird burning sensation on my skin around my lower abdomen - not painful just strange.

The other thing is that I have sudden fits of cold where I am a shivering wreck and have to wrap myself up in a quilt - perhaps this is lack of food, I don't know.

Any information gladly received! Thanks.

Old 05-16-2007, 07:40 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sharon76 HB User
Re: Bowel Resection - recovery questions.

Hi

I had the exact same thing at what you are describing in regards to smptoms. I had my bowel resection due to crohn's disease.

It is a long recovery and everything you are experiencing is every thing i went through.

You feel sick due to the bacteria in your gut and bowel being disturbed. Also any digestive problems including the bowel can cause people to feel sick. The loss of appetite is normal. I had no appetitie for 4 weeks and found it really hard just to eat a biscuit!. Make sure you drink plenty of water as you are at a higher risk of dehydration.

I had the burning sensation, and it was a slight urine infection due to being catheterised whilst i was in hospital. Also some of the burning was around my incision but felt deeper inside, i was told this si due to the nerve endings being disturbed and would settle down, it did eventually.

I had my surgery 6 months ago and my insides are still not healed properly. I was informed that this can take up to 12 months. I still have problems but i am having more good days than bad days.

Recovery is a lenghty process, eat small amounts often and drink plenty of water.

If i can help any more please let me know or if you have any questions. I hope this has helped you as i understand how you feel.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2007, 08:09 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

goody2shuz HB Usergoody2shuz HB User

Hi, what Sharon describes is accurate. However, the chills do concern me and usually accompany an infection. Do you have a fever???

Try eating yogurt, this will help work on putting your intestinal flora back into balance. I would assume that you were put on antibiotics after the surgery. ARe you on any other meds?? A med called flagyl will cause such symptoms.

I had a resection 4 years ago and still feel some tugging inside of me where the muscles were cut. I have gotten use to it and accepted it as part of life.

The burning sensation could be your muscles that were cut during surgery to restretch and tighten up as well as regenerating new nerve endings that may have been damaged during the surgery. As they wake up you will feel such a burning sensation.

Try to walk and do some type of physical activity to get everything moving again. Your body will tell you what it can and cannot do and what it is up to eating.

I heard that sweet potatoes are well tolerated digestively. Try avoiding sugary things since that will only cause more irritation to the bowels.

Hope that things improve and keep us all posted with how you are doing.

Love ~ Goody

Old 05-17-2007, 11:20 AM   #4
(female)

colettem HB User

Thank you so much for the wonderful reassurances and advice - I feel a million times better already!

I'm still shocked by how much this has knocked the stuffing out of me - but I suppose it didn't help that I was so ill for a week before the op with the twisted bowel thing (diagnosed as a bladder infection ) so was severely dehydrated etc when I was admitted to hospital. Nausea seems to be going gradually (probably a mental thing - am not panicking about it all so much now), so hopefully will be able to drink and eat some more.

Makes me laugh now, but I was ringing up work the day after the op saying I'd be in next week - I had no idea!

Thanks again - it's so nice to hear from people who have been through all of this - bless you . xx

Closed Thread