It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2007, 11:25 PM   #1
(male)

ctbo HB User
mucus,cramps,diarrhea what gives?

for the last few years when I go its been really getting bad.I never seem to go to the bathroom normal..It seems like everything I eat gives me diarrhea and I get really bad cramps from it sometimes so bad i cant move.after i go there is always lots of mucus in the tolit.I found that some things make it worse like soda and fast food pop tarts,maple syrup so i gave those up but I still get it.today i had a hot dog for lunch and a spring water an hour later I had cramps bad.Im so tired of this i cant go anyplace without knowing where threst rooms are and most are really dirty.what would cause all this mucus and cramps and diarrhea anyway?I may get lucky and have one good day out of the week when i go.I had a colonoscpy and blood work done a few years ago and they found nothing wrong.so i live on imodiums.anyone?

Last edited by ctbo; 05-18-2007 at 11:26 PM.

Old 05-19-2007, 10:55 PM   #2
(male)

ctbo HB User
Re: mucus,cramps,diarrhea what gives?

ok i guess know one knows.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-20-2007, 11:46 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

desertdweller HB User

Have you looked at the possibility of Irritable Bowel Syndrome?

Old 05-21-2007, 08:44 PM   #4
(male)

ctbo HB User

yes i have it seems like i cant eat anything really without running to the bathroom..what do they do for ibs anyway?

Old 05-21-2007, 11:06 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

Hi ctbo,

Several thing I think you should do.
Start taking a water soluble fiber supplement like Metamucil to bulk up your stool and make you regular and not loose and watery.

A person needs 25 to 35 grams of fiber daily along with 6 to 8 glasses of water for normal BMs-- where or what are you eating to get that amount daily??

The friendly bacteria in your intestines is probably out of balanced and needs to be rebalanced. This can be caused by antibiotics, too much sugar in your diet, too much salty food in your diet, alcohol or too much spicy food and too much processed foods that contains very little fiber.

Eating yogurt and drinking Kefir will help re-establish the friendly bacteria in your intestines.

Sodas replaced sugar in their drinks in 1970 with corn syrup-- empty calories & no fiber.

All meats, seafoods and all dairy products contain NO fiber.

You need to eat fruits, veggies, grains beans and peas.

I wish you well ---Harry

Old 05-21-2007, 11:12 PM   #6
(female)

TANKG!RL HB User

Have you ever had your gallbladder checked out? You could have gall stones. I had my gallbladder out 3 years ago and unfortunately I still have the evil "D" word. You could also be allergic to wheat or gluten. Those would cause excessive bathroom time.

Good Luck, I know what your going through. I also have learned where every restroom in every store is lol

Old 05-21-2007, 11:20 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

Tankgirl,
Having diarrhea after having your GB removed is usually caused by your system putting out too much bile that is not absorbed in the small intestines.
If it reaches the colon it will cause explosive diarrhea--- called bile salt diarrhea.

It it usually treated with a prescription drug that absorbs the extra bile salt--- Questran.

About 5% of people that have their gallbladder removed have this problem..

Harry

Old 05-21-2007, 11:24 PM   #8
(female)

TANKG!RL HB User

Harry,
Thank you for the post, I had never heard of that. I plan to go get myself checked out as soon as I acquire some health insurance. I have changed my diet so many times to try and figure out what's going on in there. I'm now trying to cut out gluten and wheat to see if it has any changes on me....it couldn't hurt me any.
Is there any over the counter meds that can help, or do they have to be prescribed from a Doctor?

Thanks !!

Old 05-22-2007, 05:23 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Tankgirl,

Mild cases of Bile salt diarrhea is sometimes helped by taking a water soluble fiber supplement like Metamucil that bulks up your stool and slows it down but most of the time it is not mild and will require a prescription drug like Questran.

I don't know of any other OTC remedy.

God bless----Harry

Old 05-22-2007, 07:49 PM   #10
(female)

BabyHope8179 HB User

Hello there,

It sounds very fimailar as to what I'm going thru myself.. infact I have mucus coming from the colon and its white and brownish and diarrhea for 5 days now no matter what I eat I have had un explain weight loss for a little bit now..and the cramps in my abdominals and pain in my leg leg and lower back.. in 2006 i had surgery for a rectal prolapse I will get to the point tho...I had to go to emergency room because of this diarrhea pain etc...they test my blood my white cells where high and the ran a CT scan and found out I have Colitis and if left untreated it will become chronic...

means anything you eat will run right thru you basically you will be hospitilaized quite often if it becomes chronic sounds what you are experince might be Colitics but im not a doctor or work in the medical field I would have it check out by a doc ASAP nothing to fool around with..I hope you will feel better and get better God bless u always (( hugs )) if you want type in a sreach on yahoo or whatever site you like for Colitis....God bless and may you found the prom and get it fix to better your health and life..

Old 05-24-2007, 08:16 PM   #11
(male)

ctbo HB User

Thanks I will do a search for Colitis im not really sure whaT it is.But I get so much mucus when I go its crazy and the cramps and diarrhea are not nice and public rest rooms are just gross.

Last edited by ctbo; 05-24-2007 at 08:17 PM.

Old 05-24-2007, 09:59 PM   #12
(female)

TANKG!RL HB User

Dear Harry (if you're there)
I usually have to use the restroom multiple times of the day and I am in there for 15-45 minutes, never fun lol. It's always a yellowish or like brown color like stomach acid looks like. It hasn't been to bad lately because I'm on hydrocodone for my knee pain (had surgery May 4th...lots of pain still) and it's actually harden up my stool a bit and also darken it. I also have the tendency to go soon after I eat, usually fatty, bread or oily foods. I completely cut these out of my diet except for vinaigrette salad dressings which I was informed has gluten in it also. DO you believe I could have the gluten allergy?? I usually only eat salad with all kinds of veggies and chicken on it every day other then the occasional Lean Cuisines. I also snack on yogurt and for desert I have (on occasion) fat free low sugar Italian ice Popsicles or the little Italian ice cups. I've been counting calories to try and lose weight, I've lost 20 pounds since January!!

Thanks for all your help

Last edited by TANKG!RL; 05-24-2007 at 10:03 PM.

Old 05-24-2007, 10:21 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

Tankgirl,

If you are allergic to gluten then it does not take much to cause you to have diarrhea. As you know gluten is in wheat, barley, rye and to a lesser extent oats. But, almost any processed foods contain wheat or barley by products that can trigger a BM reaction.
The color is determines by the bilirubin put out by your liver and without a gallbladder to control it --- you will have diarrhea.

All pain meds cause constipation or harder stool to some extent.

For Celiac disease the only thing that helps is to be very careful about avoiding anything containing GLUTEN and the by products-- NO exceptions-- eating gluten damages the villi in your small intestines and can result in some necessary nutrient deficiencies.

Harry

Old 05-24-2007, 10:37 PM   #14
(female)

TANKG!RL HB User

So I pretty much have to check the labels out then if it isn't salad products. Does gluten bother people who don't have problems with it? DO they make pastas without gluten?? I do love to have spaghetti once in a blue moon (my boyfriend cooks some good pasta).

Thank you ago for all your help, it's nice to learn some information!!
Also what is Villi? I've never heard of it.

Last edited by TANKG!RL; 05-24-2007 at 10:38 PM.

Old 05-24-2007, 10:47 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

Tankgirl,
To really get gluten free food like pasta and cereals you need to go to a health food store for it.
Of course grains like rice and corn are gluten free and also potatos-- gluten free pasta is made from flour from these.

The villi are hair like particles that line the small intestine walls.

Gluten has no affect on people that are not sensitive to it.

Last edited by Harry; 05-24-2007 at 10:50 PM.

Closed Thread