It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2007, 02:33 PM   #1
(female)

greely0729 HB User
I had my lapro bowel resectioning sugery...

I had my bowel resectioning surgery (official name: laproscopic rectoplexy resection) for my rectal prolapse on April 20th and wanted to post in case anyone else wanted any information.

Currently it's been about a 4.5 weeks since my surgery and I'm already back to work (went back last week) and feeling so much better than before. I feel like I have a life!

Here's what happened: I took some fleet on Wednesday night and I went into the ER on Thursday night (the 19th) because I was taking the antibiotics with only liquids in my stomach and could not keep anything down. My doctor told me to wait until I felt better and then try to take the fleet again. I thought that I was feeling better however it only stayed down for about 20 minutes before that came up too (it tastes nasty going either way). I went to the ER after speaking with my doctor and to make the story short. they hooked me into an IV and we weren't admitted until 4:30 am and we were in the ER starting around 10 pm. We got absolutely no sleep because nurses were constantly coming in and out for blood, check my blood pressure, heart rate, etc.

On Friday, I went through the surgery and there are still some potential problems (not going to worry about them now--with having children--right now I do not have any children). They took out a little over of foot in a half of my colon and stapled my bladder and all of the stuff up so it shouldn't fall down again. They even said that they took out my entire colon and put it in water to see if it would bubble up (they said if it bubbled up it means it was damaged) however there were no bubbles and they stapled it into place with my intestines.

The surgery itself was VERY painful. It's true what people say, the first time getting up hurts worse than any other time so don't stop just because of the first time getting out of bed. I went from Friday to Monday with NO FOOD OR LIQUIDS!!! I only had an IV. They wouldn't give me liquids until I passed gas (they didn't even let me have ice chips).

On Sunday night I was a very happy girl and given liquids (apple juice never tasted better) because I finally passed gas. Then (with the more gum I was chewing) I was able to have a bowel movement, shower, and eat normal food on Tuesday (doing these simple things were the highlight of my hospital stay). I waited to chew gum until Saturday night because I wanted to make sure it was okay with my doctor. They told me that I was allowed and within 12 hours of chewing gum, I was able to pass gas. I had previously heard that some people had painful bowel movement which was not the case for me. I had no more pain having a bowel movement than I did in general (because of the surgery, there was lots of pain). There was no no blood in my stool. (I am now hwoever my doctor tells me that's fine.)

During the time in the hospital I made sure to get up and walk 3-4 times a day and to sit in a chair for at least an hour. I was not able to sleep on my sides (which I was told that if you sleep on your left side, it can help your bowel movements) so I made sure that I did everything else.

On Wednesday I came home, and from the time I came home, my recovery sped up. From Wednesday through Monday I was still in a lot of pain however from that time it decreased rapidly. My incision site was very painful at first however now I only feel some slight tugging and am numb in a lot of areas.

I went to the doctor this week and she said that right now I'm at the best case senario for recovery however I may have to go through a couple more surgeries after the 6 month mark (for my pelvic floor dysfunction). Or I may have to go through biofeedback however they want to wait for me to heal.

Let's hope and pray that I still stay at the best case senario.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2007, 11:29 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

cpapp31 HB User
Re: I had my lapro bowel resectioning sugery...

Thank you very much for posting this. I am scheduled to have this same surgery this Friday.

I have Divaticulitis and part of my colon is severly damaged. The surgeon said he was going to take a foot of colon out. Boy, am I nervous.

The problem I am having is that I am in extreme pain and may go to the ER and have them page the surgeon and maybe move up the surgery.

Take care,
Cpapp

Old 05-30-2007, 12:45 PM   #3
(female)

greely0729 HB User

I was in extreme amounts of pain prior to my surgery as well however I was not able to get on a pain killer because it can cause you to have even more constipation. You should definitely contact your doctor to see what you can do for the pain.

I hope that everything goes well and if you have any questions, just let me know.

Old 05-30-2007, 05:17 PM   #4
(female)

OntarioGirl HB User

I had my bowel resection on Apr 16, and am back to work, and eating very well compared to before. Greely is right on... same experience. I had "bad" diverticulitis infections about every two week, hospitalized twice in 2.5 years.

Couldn't take it any more and insisted on the surgery. Boy, am I glad I did. It was a real mess in there, cronic tissue, took 10" of bowel, and my filopium tube, and surgeon said if I hadn't had the surgery, I could have died it was that bad.

So... even though the surgery "sucks", it is so worth it. I feel great now and have proper BMs.

If you are having constant infections, don't wait! [url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/images/smilies/bouncing.gif[/url]

Closed Thread