It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2007, 02:23 PM   #1
(male)

j.m. HB User
Are digestive enzymes/acidophilus good for gastroparesis?

I have diverticulosis, a 5 cm. hiatal hernia and severe bloating which i'm almost sure is caused by gastroparesis. I don't know if it's IBS.
I've been having these problems for well over a year now.

I have still yet to be diagnosed properly by a G.I. doctor, I am still awaiting my appointment in the mail.

Meanwhile, I'm trying to take a holistic approach to my problems such as taking Jarrodophilus and some enzymes on the recommandation of a friend as well as trying to eat more veggies and whole grains. and while my heartburn/reflux has seemed to subside a bit, my constipation seems to have gotten worse. I occasionally take Metamucil and that barely helps. my stools are like little pieces of clay and i'm still constantly bloated. I can eat very little in the morning and still be full by day's end which leads me to believe I have Gastroparesis which is slow emptying of the stomach.

I've heard that enzyme supplements and acidophilus and such can help and possibly cure IBS, but I can't seem to find any info if they're good for Gastroparesis.
I'm going for my first hydrotherapy session tomorrow and I hope that alleviates some of my problems.

Old 06-01-2007, 10:52 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Re: Are digestive enzymes/acidophilus good for gastroparesis?

Are you drinking enough water daily? -- 6 to 8 glasses

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-05-2007, 11:19 AM   #3
(male)

j.m. HB User

Yes, I am now. been taking the Reguloid orange-flavored fiber supplement I've been prescribed about 1 good tablespoon 3 times daily and it has helped!! Now I have at least 2 good BMs daily. I guess the answer was right under my nose. I would just take a small teaspoon before and not drink much water. I guess that's why it wasn't helping much.

Once I finish off the Reguloid, I am going to start on the Metamucil powder that I bought a few weeks ago.

Last edited by j.m.; 06-05-2007 at 11:21 AM.

Old 06-05-2007, 11:45 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

j.m.
Yes --it is amazing -- with psyllium or to have normal BMs -- you just have to drink enough water daily and especially with the doses of Metamucil -- it starts absorbing water immediately.

I wish you well---Harry

Old 06-05-2007, 03:23 PM   #5
(male)

j.m. HB User

thanks for the response, Harry, but I just have one other question;
i am still coping with my bloating/heartburn/acid reflux. just when i thought i had it under control with the digestive enzymes, it's still a problem. i've been trying to avoid taking the prescribed Nexium/Prevacid and just using the MSM/probiotic/enzymes approach not just for the reflux but for my colon as well. should i return to using Prevacid? I heard it constipates and also that antibiotics/PPIs are bad for an already dysfunctional digestive system like mine.
could I benefit from using both Prevacid AND the aforementioned enzyme/probiotic supplements or it should be one or the other?
Please let me know.

Also, i never went for my scheduled hydro appointment. I postponed for next month.

Last edited by j.m.; 06-05-2007 at 03:31 PM.

Old 06-06-2007, 08:06 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

j.m.

Sorry you are having problems with your GI system.

I have found with digestive enzymes that I have to be careful not to take any with Betain HCL in them-- it an acid. That makes my mouth and throat burn. So, I only use the enzymes that are only enzymes -- Source Natruals -- Essential Enzymes seems to work for me and several others.

Also, that probiotic supplement that you are using does not work for me and I have tried it several times. Everyone is different and responds differently and I have had to change many times to find out what ones works for me. And I am sure you are no different. The probiotic supplements that work best for me are -- Primal Defense, Culturelle, Pearls by Ezymatic Therapy, PB-8, Reuteri, and a new one I just bought --BifidoBiotics with L sporogenes by Nutricology/ Allergy Research.
I think the problem with alot of probiotic is that they are affected by heat and stomach acids. And by time they are shippped to us you really don't know where they have been??
And, I have found it best to take them on an empty stomach like at least 2 1/2 hours after eating and before going to bed. But, with gastroparesis food moves through your gastro tract so slow and that presents another problem. So, I guess you will have to experiment around to find what probiotic supplement work best for you.

To control Acid Reflux -- I went to a very bland diet so my stomach does not produce much acid but at times I just take Prilosec OTC for a week or so. One of the problems with this type drug -- stopping it produces a rebound affect that is too much acid for several days so I don't like to take it. I use Tums but not often.

My wife has used both Nexium & Prevacid and they both naseate and give her diarrhea. But Prilosec works OK.

I wish you well --- Harry

Last edited by Harry; 06-06-2007 at 01:23 PM.

Old 06-06-2007, 10:08 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ol'Line Rebel HB UserOl'Line Rebel HB User

J.M., if you actually have gastroparesis, high fiber is a big NO-NO.

You need to go LOW fiber (i.e., refined foods and few vegetables, especially raw).

Old 06-06-2007, 10:41 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Soluble fiber slows down digestion because it is a bulking agent almost totally but insoluble fiber does not slow down digestion.
Insoluble fiber is the fiber that causes muscle contractions (peristalsis) in the intestines and moves food through.

All fruits and all veggies are almost totally insoluble fiber and the bran in cereals. Root veggies are soluble. And of course raw food is best.

All meats, seafood and all dairy products contain NO fiber.

Old 06-06-2007, 02:42 PM   #9
(male)

j.m. HB User

yeah, that's the problem; I don't exactly know what I have whether its Gastroparesis or IBS. I won't know until I finally see the G.I. doctor. though I know already I have diverticulosis and a hiatal hernia.

Like I said I've dealing with this for over a year. my problem had been caused by my excessive bingeing one day.I think I outstretched my stomach far beyond its limit and thus possibly damaging the stomach muscles.
I'm always bloated even after a BM or on an empty stomach. There's just this constant bloat that becomes overbearing at times.

Last edited by j.m.; 06-06-2007 at 02:44 PM.

Closed Thread