It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2007, 12:15 PM   #1
(female)

dan325 HB User
help with hard bowel movements

I have a bowel movement daily, however, lately they are rock-hard and then I get a bit of blood on the toilet paper. (see my other post regarding that) I had things cleared up for about a week, but yesterday I ate some baked beans and some other fiber and maybe didn't drink enough water with it and this morning it was large and hard and then there was blood again. What can I do to get this healed up? I'm sick of it all and just want a normal BM for once that is soft and doesn't hurt coming out.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-14-2007, 01:42 PM   #2
(female)

Booie98 HB User
Re: help with hard bowel movements

I have found Miralax to be the best thing I've tried. Better than fiber supplements (for me anyway)...you want to get this under control before you get a really bad fissure/hemmoroid...good luck, Lynn

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-14-2007, 10:27 PM   #3
(male)

lodgen HB User

i suffer from this all the time,your stool transit time is to slow,and ibs can factor into it to. i drink loads of water and eat fiber and still have hard stools
seen many doctors and test and still have it. this works for me most of the time but you need to stay on it ,your hard stools will return.miralax is your
answer its over the counter and will work it puts more water in your bowels
and speeds it up for softer bm.its not habit forming and is gentle and safe
and my colorectal doctor agrees with me,start with one scoop and see if it works. i also take co-lace twice a day also which is safe and non habit forming
you need to do what ever it takes for soft bm.or you end up with hemmroids
and fissures which will never heal.

Old 06-17-2007, 10:56 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

I don't believe you should solve your BM problems with any OTC laxative-- including Mirilax -- It will work for awhile but You will cause intestinal problems-- Lazy Bowel Syndrome that will result in laxative dependence for the rest of your life.

I wrote a post about Normal BMs on the thread- "Information Archive" at the top of this page -- I think it's Post #10.
I think it is worth reading.

Old 06-18-2007, 09:11 PM   #5
(male)

lodgen HB User

harry

i disagree with regarding miralax,its an osmotic laxative not a stimulant one,
i know this as a fact from doing rescerach and confirming it with my colorectal doctor, i agree with you that fiber is the first choice to try ,but
some people have slow transit time,ibs ,etc and fiber will only bind them
and cause constipation,hard stools,etc.take it from me i tried fiber for two year and did not help.miralax plus fiber made my life more normal,miralax
is very safe and gentle and is not additive, all it does is put more water to
soften your stool .hard stools are not something to have for any long duration
due to getting fissure ,hemmroids form it ,getting soft flowing bm it a must to stop it.
miralax does not interfere with electrolytes balances and none habit forming
and taking it under certain circumstances is fine.

Old 06-18-2007, 11:08 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

lodgen,

You are right partly but not totally and if that is the way you want to use it then do it but beware of the results.

Miralax is an Osmotic agent that promotes secretion of water to the colon --intiating a BM. They are among the safest laxatives for occasional use but if they are use more than occasionally -- you can become dependent!

Insoluble fiber is the type that causes intestinal muscle contractions that moves digested food through your intestines -- not enough slows your transit time down but more moves it faster. And, soluble fiber is a bulking agent that does slow your intestines down.... And with any BM -- you have to drink enough water and we are all different. I think it's a combination of balancing the right amount of the types of fiber and fluids.

Other examples of Osmotic laxatives include Milk of Magnesia, Citrate of Magnesia, Epson salts, lactulose and sorbitol.

Miralax is not new -- it use to be a presrciption drug that just recently came off patent and as you know it is now OTC.

I will do some more research and find out more -- maybe I am flat wrong and need some new direction??

I wish you well---Harry

Last edited by Harry; 06-19-2007 at 06:50 AM.

Old 06-21-2007, 07:34 AM   #7
(female)

dan325 HB User

I"m still having the sharp pain when passing the bowel movement and then the bit of blood on the wipes that I use. I called my doctor and she won't see me for weeks, I called a GI doctor I had seen in the past and was told "he doesn't deal with hemorrhoids." How can I be positive this is even a hemorrhoid??? THey are just taking my word for it. It's frustrating and scary and I don't know what to do. I've tried every cream possible and nothing seems to be working. My stools are basically soft, but the slightest bit of hardness to them causes that pain. I'll guess I self-treat and hope I know what I'm self-treating!!!

Old 06-21-2007, 10:33 PM   #8
(male)

lodgen HB User

dan323

i hope you are not straining,bleeding can comes from hemmroids or fissure,
if your stool is soft and self propelling, and you are in pain and bleeding for sometime you have reach a chronic stage and healing is much more difficult.
i was there and surgery was my only option,the only real way to tell right
away it by a colorectal surgen to see you rightaway,he will do an exam
of your rectum.try to stay to a soft diet and keep your stools as soft as
possible,try miralax for a week .

Old 06-22-2007, 05:38 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

ksdo6 HB User

This is the first time I have been on or replied. I really don't know the difference between reply with quote or a quick reply. So if I am doing something out of protocal please forgive.I read your issue and felt compelled to reply!! First of all, good old fashioned Tucks works great if you tuck (ha!) it up there and leave it for a few hours, then tuck another one. By morning my hemroids were usually settled down. About Miralax. For hard stools it is a miracle. However, be careful you don't have an accident like the many I had while taking Miralax. Not condusive to keeping company. Guess it depends (suddenly all my words seem funny to me, although this isn't a funny ailment I know)on the desperation of your condition. And one more thing and the reason I felt compelled to write. My naturepath was a Christian and he prayed where to send me because my symptoms were all over the charts. He sent me to another naturepath who specializes in hemroids and issues of the bottom (I am sure there is a name but I don't have it at the tip of my brain)These guys are FANTASTIC. They are teaching Dr's. in hospitals to do their treatments, which are non surgical, painless and successful. The best part is that you walk out of the Dr. office after about 20 minute treatments instead of weeks of recouperation in the hospital for the same ultimate results. They use an electrical device.. just to give you a hint. After I discovered them and after my first session when I left their office I cried from gratitude most of the way home. Please don't think I have any other connection to them other than being a patient, I'm not getting any commission or anything like that. People come from all over the country to go to them. It just occured to me I don't know where you are located. Oh well. The Dr.'s names are Dr. Gardner and Dr. Hubbard in Milwaukie, Oregon.

The best of luck to you.

Posting website addresses that promote services is not allowed on Healthboards.
Readthe Posting Policy.

moderator4

Last edited by Administrator; 06-28-2007 at 08:37 AM. Reason: Posting Web site address.

Old 06-25-2007, 03:13 AM   #10
(female)

dan325 HB User

Just an update- I went to my doctor on Saturday (finally able to get in to see her) and she took one look and said "you definitely have hemorrhoids and you definitely have a fissure." So that I guess made me feel better in a way and keeping the bowels soft has done the trick. SHe said it could take weeks to months for the fissure to heal and if I break it open again, we are back to square one all over again with trying to let it heal. Increased fiber and Citrucel was too much for my stomach to handle so I went to just the increased fiber and my stomach is better.

Old 07-01-2007, 01:56 PM   #11
(male)

chris0007 HB Userchris0007 HB User

dan325,

I notice you are in Burlington, WI. There is an EXCELLENT Colon Rectal surgeon in Kenosha by the name of Dr. David Metteucci and he usually sees patients within a weeks time. Let me know if you go to see him.

Closed Thread