It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2007, 06:50 PM   #1
(female)

Alesis HB User
Question Left-sided colitis and pain question

Hello...(scroll down for the question if you don't want to read the story)

I have been having problems with diahrrea on and off since 2002 or 2003. I was diagnosed with IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) a few years ago and have tried different things for it.I tried hyoscyamine and two different types of fiber...didn't help...To make a long story short, the problem has been getting worse and now the doctor has me on Donnatal 3x a day.

Two nights ago, I had a really bad flare-up and was up all night with diahrrea. Despite having taken my medicine as directed (which has been working pretty well), I must have made 10 trips to the bathroom. I had almost no appetite all day (it still hasn't returned completely) and had to eat bland foods.

Here's the kicker: I have seen the occasional blood in my stool and before I have the diahrrea, I have pain in my left abdomen. It goes all the way from my pelvis up to where I believe my colon meets the middle part. It feels like an internal, visceral pain and not like a muscular pain. Also: Almost every time I have my temp checked, it is above 99.5...almost like I run a constant low-grade fever...I tried to donate blood several times last year and I couldn't because of it.

I'm scared that I may have the Left-sided colitis form of UC (Ulcerative colitis), as opposed to IBS.

My question to sufferers of Left-sided colitis: do you have pain in just that area, or all over?

I have made an appt with my primary care provider so that I can get a referral to a gastro.

Thank you so much in advance!

A.

Last edited by Alesis; 06-20-2007 at 06:51 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-25-2007, 01:54 PM   #2
(female)

Alesis HB User
Re: Left-sided colitis and pain question

I also would like to mention that I had my ovaries checked out and they are OK. I was originally scared that I had ovarian cancer, but I had a transvaginal ultrasound, which came up negative.

Awaiting your response,

A.

Old 06-28-2007, 03:09 PM   #3
(female)

Alesis HB User

I went to my primary care today and explained to him what I posted above.

He pressed down on different areas of my belly...when he pressed down on the spot where I'm having the most pain, he decided to order a CT scan of that area (left pelvis), plus my abdomen ASAP. I asked him if he thought my fibromyalgia was causing this, but he didn't think so.

Has anyone had their doc order this before? Colonoscopy, sure but CT scan I don't think I've heard of for GI issues...

The soonest they can get me in is Tuesday. Now I'm scared and freaking out, worrying that it could be something more serious...why does he want it right away?

I talked to my Mom and Dad about it and they said it's probably a "rule-out" thing. However, with my OCD, sometimes the worrying gets carried away!

Comments?

Thanks,

A.

P.S. I asked for a referral to a GI and they are CC'ing the results of my testing to the GI doc that I picked.
P.P.S. I am also having bloodwork and stool samples done up.

Old 06-28-2007, 06:28 PM   #4
(female)

Alesis HB User

I did some research online and found out that CT scans can find a bunch of things, including diverticulitis. My doc briefly mentioned that disorder as possibly being what causes my symptoms...now I'm not so worried...at first I was afraid that my doc was thinking the "C" word if you know what I mean...as that is what I always associated CT scans with...now I realise the test can find -- or rule out -- a number of things.

Best,

A.

Old 06-28-2007, 07:14 PM   #5
(female)

tiffanyhaggerty HB User

hello, just wondering. did u get checked for Chron's Diease? sounds like the pain i had and have still since i have had chrons now for 8 years, ( i'm 21) now.the bleeding u were having is what i go through when i have a flareup which comes along with badddd cramps! but the doc said that it is normal for someone with my condition.... doesnt seem normal to me! but ne ways... hope all goes well!

Last edited by tiffanyhaggerty; 06-28-2007 at 07:17 PM.

Old 06-29-2007, 03:43 PM   #6
(female)

Alesis HB User

Hi Tiffany,

Thank you for your reply. My doc is checking my for Crohn's along with other things. Is your pain on your left or right side?

Thanks,

A.

Old 06-29-2007, 08:07 PM   #7
(female)

tiffanyhaggerty HB User

Well the pain began on my left side, and the progressed to the right side, but for the past few years now it is mainly from the right side to the left side of my stomach area below my belly botton, something like pms pain but like 100000 times worse!! but with chron's diease it can be a tricky thing, that is why it took them so long to find out what was wrong with me, cause there are so many things it could be, they thought i had a bad gallbladder did surgery and then it wasnt that so i went through all that pain of surgery for nothing..., then they told me it might be my appendix and it wasnt that. finally after alot and i mean ALOT of tests they did a colonscopy and a barium tests ( not a fun one but it works good, u have to drink this thick white stuff and it goes down your system and u keep going in and out of the xray room while ur drinking this stuff, and they take pics of it while it is going threw your body. and u can see it as it goes down kinda neat but the stuff is awful!!) but he did those 2 things in the end, and then seen it so i dont know if u already had these tests done, but it may be a good thing to see into if he is going to check you for Chron's, i really hope you dont have it tho! i had surgery for my chrons, 2 and a half feet off my small intestine and then 3 months later i was sick again...damn thing, but everyone is different i know someone who got the same thing as me done as she hasnt been sick now for 6 years... so it goes to show it is different for everyone.. well i hope i helped you out a little take care and good luck bye bye

Old 07-01-2007, 10:45 AM   #8
(female)

Alesis HB User

Hiya again Tiffany:

I'm very sorry to read all the suffering you went through. I sure do hope that you find relief.

Your post is very helpful. My pain is mainly on the left side, but I do get some pain on the right. It's a dull type pain (not an acute, stabbing pain). Sometimes when I'm flaring I get pain in my rectum that feels like menstrual pain...(for some reason I get pains there when I get my menses).

I've never had surgery, but when I had my major flare-up back in November, they suspected it was my gallbladder. (I had it checked out and it was fine).

Best,

A.

Old 07-05-2007, 03:50 PM   #9
(female)

Alesis HB User

Hi!

Just got back from my primary doc...the CT came back normal except for a little bit of fatty liver...bloodwork came back normal...the lab screwed up the stool sample and only tested for parasites...now I have to have it done over to test for everything else (blood, c. diff, etc.). He told me to wait until after I pooped all the barium out.

The doc mentioned something about Crohn's Disease...I asked if I could get a colonoscopy done and he said that it's a good idea. He said it would be the only way to find out if I had it or not.

I also told my doc what I found out yesterday: Crohn's does indeed run in the family, as well as colon cancer (both on my mom's side). I also had an aunt who had a colostomy, which I told the doc about. My doc told me that he didn't think anything "dangerous" was going on with me and not to worry.

I am going to call the gastro's office and see if they can bump up my appt. (My PCP told me I would have better luck if I called.) I've been dehydrated for three weeks now...the only thing that has changed is that the barium has constipated me to some extent, but I still feel like I have to go every hour (I stopped taking my Donnatal today so that I could poop my barium out -- and yes the doc is aware of this). I have some solid stools now, and they're thin like pencils, also which I told the doc.

I'll keep y'all posted.

A.

Closed Thread