It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2007, 08:09 PM   #1
(male)

ctbo HB User
chrons and ibs tests?

can anyone tell me what test are done so you can find out if you got chrons or ibs?im sure there will be a few.and what the signs of chrons and ibs are?they seem very much the same.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-22-2007, 08:18 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

morrisun HB User
Re: chrons and ibs tests?

IBS is usually diagnosed when other tests come up inconclusive. With Chron's it is usually diagnosed by colonoscopy, possibly barium enema and other tests.
PCOS

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-22-2007, 08:27 PM   #3
(male)

ctbo HB User

so if you get a colonoscopy how can they tell you have chrons?I thought i read someplace there is a new blood test for chrons.im guessing ibs you need to get a colonoscopy done as well?

Old 06-22-2007, 09:03 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

morrisun HB User

I have Celiac Disease, so I'm not real familiar with all the Chron's testing. However, Chron's causes ulcerations on your intestines which are seen during a colonoscopy and other imaging tests.

With most intestinal GI problems you usually have a colonoscopy or endoscopy or barium enema, etc.
PCOS

Old 06-22-2007, 09:14 PM   #5
(male)

ctbo HB User

a barium enema is that the one you drink or the one they put into you?

Last edited by ctbo; 06-22-2007 at 09:15 PM.

Old 06-22-2007, 09:20 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

morrisun HB User

I'm trying to think of the best way to put this.....let's just say you definitely don't drink it!
PCOS

Old 06-22-2007, 11:30 PM   #7
(male)

ctbo HB User

i thought thats what you would say i know there is one that you drink.doesnt sound like to much fun doing all these tests its really upsetting.i never knew chrons would show up like that in sacks?

Last edited by ctbo; 06-22-2007 at 11:32 PM.

Old 06-23-2007, 03:21 PM   #8
(male)

ctbo HB User

but if you had a colonoscopy done you wouldnt need a barium enema for anything would you?

Old 06-24-2007, 07:49 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

morrisun HB User

It just depends on what your symptoms are and what the Dr's suspect and are looking for.
PCOS

Old 06-24-2007, 03:08 PM   #10
(male)

ctbo HB User

thanks for letting me know.now i see why people get upset about all this.

Old 06-25-2007, 06:56 PM   #11
(female)

hllspawn99 HB User

I have crohns, and I have had a coloscopy, endoscopy, and several barium swallows. I never had a barium enema, but let me tell you, they make you drink about 40 ounces of that stuff and it is not pleasant! It has the consistency of a very thick milkshake, and it tastes like nail polish remover. I had a lot of blood work to rule out other things and all pointed to crohns. good luck on your journey.

Old 06-28-2007, 10:31 PM   #12
(female)

sondra52 HB User

I had a colonoscopy, drank the barium (upper GI?), barium enema (lower GI?), and they decided I had IBS, not Crohn's. That was 10 years ago, and I'm hoping they diagnosed it right!

Old 07-06-2007, 04:38 PM   #13
(female)

Clem52 HB User

How awful is a barium enema? A friend said it was hideous--they fill you up until you feel like you will explode and then punch you in the abdomen for an hour. I'd like to hear from someone else.

Old 04-02-2008, 03:06 PM   #14
(female)

amberwalsch HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hllspawn99 View Post
I have crohns, and I have had a coloscopy, endoscopy, and several barium swallows. I never had a barium enema, but let me tell you, they make you drink about 40 ounces of that stuff and it is not pleasant! It has the consistency of a very thick milkshake, and it tastes like nail polish remover. I had a lot of blood work to rule out other things and all pointed to crohns. good luck on your journey.
Hello there. I read in your response that you have been diagnosed with Chron's disease and I was wondering if I could ask you a question. They are currently trying to figure out what is wrong with me, and they had originally thought Chron's. After an endoscopy and a colonoscopy they decided I most likely did not have Chron's. They now want me to come back in for further testing. My question to you is, as far as you are aware (going through it and all) were you diagnosed quickly with a colonoscopy? Or did it take several tests to come to your official diagnosis. Thanks so much for your help!

Old 04-08-2008, 04:22 AM   #15
Veteran
(female)

hukleberrie HB User

My colonscopy found inflammation in my colon, but did NOT confirm my dx of crohn's. Instead, a small bowel follow through helped more with my dx. I do have to have ANOTHER colonscopy because my first one did NOT look at my ileum or cecum or take a biopsy there. I am scheduled to have one at the end of the month.

Hope that helps!

Closed Thread