It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2007, 08:02 PM   #1
(female)

2000airedale HB User
removal of sigmoid colon, diverticulitis?

My 39-year-old husband has had two cases of diverticulitis in the last two years, the last of which landed him in the hospital for 3 days (last week). Both cases were confirmed by CAT scan, and we are waiting for the colonoscopy that is scheduled for next month. The colorectal surgeon at the hospital is recommending that my husband have part of his colon (sigmoid colon) removed. We are going to wait for the results of the colonoscopy and get a second opinion from a GI surgeon. Has anyone had such a prophylactic surgery, and if so, what was the outcome? Did you have any recurrence of the diverticulitis? Did it otherwise change your lifestyle? What is the recovery time, both in the hospital and when you can really start functioning normally again? Do you need to have a colostomy bag (a big concern of my husband's). I have read that sometimes happens if you have an emergency resection but wasn't sure if it happened with planned surgery. Thanks!

Cynthia

Old 07-02-2007, 09:25 PM   #2
(female)

gomer4 HB User
Re: removal of sigmoid colon, diverticulitis?

Sorry........posted twice.

Last edited by gomer4; 07-02-2007 at 09:28 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-02-2007, 09:27 PM   #3
(female)

gomer4 HB User

Cynthia,

There is alot of history on this board dealing with resections. THere is also another post going that has alot of different "stories" about this.

I had a foot of my sigmoid colon removed due to diverticulitis. I had it done 6 weeks after my last and worst flare up. I had it done open, and did not have a colostomy. The surgeon waited until I had cleared up the infection before operating. People seem to need the bag when they have emergency surgery and the doctor can't reconnect due to infection. THey wait until they are healed, and the doctor goes back in to reconnect. But, if you go into this as a planned surgery, you should be able to avoid that.
I am 43, so was considered relatively young for this problem. I had fought diverticulitis for many years tho. THe doctor said my colon was like a lead pipe, due to all the damage.
I can't say the surgery has "changed my lifestyle" except that I am not sick every other month! I eat what I want, when I want! I am very strict about fiber and drink a fiber supplement every morning. I keep track of my bowels to be sure everything is moving.
I was in the hospital a week, went back to work after almost 4 weeks off. I do not have a job that requires me to lift anything.
Tell you husband that all is not lost! This is a legitimate solution to a horrible problem. He should really talk to his surgeon and get all the information he can. Keep us posted!

Lori

Old 07-03-2007, 06:55 AM   #4
(female)

2000airedale HB User

Thanks for responding, Lori. May I ask what fiber supplement you take? DH is on a "low residue" diet until he finishes his antibiotics, but then we are slowly supposed to introduce more fiber into his diet. I am not sure what to buy: Fibercon? Konsyl? Citrucel? Thanks!

Cynthia

Old 07-03-2007, 11:35 AM   #5
(female)

gomer4 HB User

I drink Konsyl every morning, on an empty stomach. For some reason, I feel that helps. I have no trouble with the taste. It actually doesn't taste like anything, which I like. No orange or other fake flavor. I find that this keeps things going fine. I only use it once a day, but it does mention using it more. If you go to their web site, you can get a free shaker cup that comes with a coupon. I find it cheapest at Walmart.
Best of luck in this whole process..........and I wish you a great outcome!
Lori

Closed Thread