It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2007, 11:21 AM   #1
(female)

ljd88 HB User
Colonoscopy Prep: I gagged on my first glass

Hi,

I'm 18, and I'm having a colonoscopy tomorrow. I was given trilyte and told to drink 8 oz every 10-15 minutes. I just had my first glass, and I gagged part way through and (involunarily) spit out a gulp or so. I managed to finish the glass in a minute or two by taking a breather with sips of soda in between. The solution is chilled, and we're not allowed to add anything besides the flavoring provided. I've never been good with lots of liquids at once or with things I don't like the taste of. How will I get through this? I'm really nervous that I'm not going to be capable of finishing the prep. This was only my first glass, and it's bound to get worse. Can I do 4 oz every 7 minutes instead of 8 oz every 15 minutes? I know that sipping throughout the time period is supposed to give worse results. Any ideas? I'm scared I can't do it. Thank you so much for any help.

Old 07-08-2007, 11:57 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: Colonoscopy Prep: I gagged on my first glass

Hi..

Firstly, how come you're starting it so early in the day? Normally, the purging should start in the late afternoon and throughout the evening .

q

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-08-2007, 11:59 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Oh...and did you already add the flavour packet? It might be better without.

q

Old 07-08-2007, 12:07 PM   #4
(female)

ljd88 HB User

Yes, I already added the flavor packet.

I always thought it was evening/night as well, but this type says to start at 2 in the afternoon, and that was also my doctor's suggestion. He said that it wasn't strict, and I could start as late as 5:00, but I really wanted to just get it started and over with faster. I've tried adding Crystal Light, which my doctor said you could do, and adding a little more of another flavor packet to the glass, and it's helping a little. I'm still only doing about 4 oz at a time, though. It's started to work () after 2 glasses, so I'm hoping that drinking less at a time over a longer period will work out OK. I'm not sure what else I can do. I can't control gagging and vomiting!

Old 07-08-2007, 12:11 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi...use a straw to drink it. Put the straw about in the middle of the tongue as to suck it directly down the throat instead of filling up the mouth.

If you don't have a straw, hold your nose while drinking it.

Can you drink any water water after the purge is completed?

q

Old 07-08-2007, 12:34 PM   #6
(female)

ljd88 HB User

I've been using a straw. That's a good suggestion about putting it deeper in my mouth. I can have clear liquids up until 8 hours before. I'm having an endoscopy, too, and they're both early afternoon. I might try to wake up early for some water or broth and then go back to sleep. Otherwise I think I'll be thirsty and starving tomorrow all day.

Well, at least I've found out that I really don't like the taste of thick seawater. Gross.

Old 07-08-2007, 12:39 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi...don't have any broth...water only, and sips.

Good you're using a straw. It does help.

I used flavour with the first prep I ever did for a c-scope (1989) using the gallon method. All the others have been done without flavour..better for me. I'm going for my 7th c-scope in Sept.

You'll be having the works done, wow....post tomorrow as to how it went.

quincy

Old 07-08-2007, 12:46 PM   #8
(female)

ljd88 HB User

Thanks, Quincy. Even though I'm not following the directions that well, I think it's going to clean me out OK. At least I hope it will! I'll post tomorrow with the results.

If anyone else has any tips, they're for sure welcome!

Old 07-08-2007, 01:24 PM   #9
(male)

ctbo HB User

when i did that i had to use the bathroom when i got there 4 times i couldnt stop going.but dont worry about it you wont know whats going on they will put you out.i know i had to drink that stuff early in the am to.it doesnt taste to good but the flavor pack helps some.

Last edited by ctbo; 07-08-2007 at 01:25 PM.

Old 07-08-2007, 01:29 PM   #10
(male)

ctbo HB User

i forgot to say that i had a colonoscopy and a endoscopy in the same day like you.They stuck this little thing in in betwwen my front teeth that they stick the little tube in.then they put you out..my Throat was a little sore for about a week after.i wish you luck.

Last edited by ctbo; 07-08-2007 at 01:30 PM.

Old 07-08-2007, 04:14 PM   #11
(female)

ljd88 HB User

I don't think I'll have to go once I get there since I'm supposed to arrive at 1:30 and can't drink during the morning or day beforehand. That's one good thing!

Can you stop once it's clear liquid? There are still a few small flecks of fecal matter, but the toilet water is completely clear. I was thinking of drinking one more glass and then maybe one more later tonight. Do you think that's OK?

Old 07-08-2007, 06:27 PM   #12
(male)

ctbo HB User

well what did they tell you to do drink it all tonight?or finish the prep in the am?I would finish it all when they told you to.so if they said drink it all tonight then do so but if they said wait till the am to finish the prep then make sure you finish it then.if its coming out clear or yellow sounds like your pretty cleaned out.

Old 07-09-2007, 01:38 PM   #13
(female)

ljd88 HB User

I just got home a little while ago from my colonoscopy and upper-endoscopy. I was fast asleep throughout. The doctor found absolutely nothing of note, but he did do a biopsy to test for Celiac's disease, which I think he does with a lot of patients. I asked if I should just ignore the blood in my stool (black or maroon in color), and he said yes. I'm not sure how I feel about that since the blood must have be coming from somewhere, but he's the doctor. I'm seeing my primary later this week, so I'll ask him. My throat is sore, and I feel some cramping and I'm a little off-balance, but I'm doing well.

I only ended up drinking less than 2/3 of the Trilyte (really, just over half), but everything was clear. The doctor mentioned a couple of times how well cleaned out I was and that I prepared well, so I guess that if everything's clear you really don't have to finish the prep.

Thanks for all your help.

Closed Thread