It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2007, 10:25 PM   #1
(female)

miztee HB User
I Survived Sphincteroplasty Part 4

This thread is a continuation of "I Survived Sphincteroplasty Part III"

Old 07-19-2007, 10:26 PM   #2
(female)

miztee HB User
Re: I Survived Sphincteroplasty Part 4

Lisa, I'm so sorry to hear you have to have a hysterectomy so soon! Can it be postponed until you are more fully healed and feeling 100%? As for the wiping, I have the same issue - even tho the BM is "finished" there is plenty to wipe... and I do use the Cottonelle wipes - they are so cooling and they are flushable too. In the early days post-op I used unscented babywipes (non-flushable, tho) because they were larger and easier. My MD said I should NOT use TP, just the moist wipes. And now I am "hooked" on them. And I too would rather live with this minor cleansing problem than what I had before!

Last edited by moderator2; 07-21-2007 at 09:12 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-20-2007, 06:22 AM   #3
(female)

Jou Jou HB User

Lisa, I still find the squeeze bottle filled with warm water to be the most effective way to clean after bms. It eliminates the endless wiping, at least until the next visit to the bathroom. I'm sorry that you must have a hysterectomy. When it rains, it pours? Good luck, I hope it remedies whatever problem you are having in that area. All the best.

Elizabeth, I am wishing all the best for you and hope you have good news afterward to share with us.

I am now trying a half dose of Kaopectate on a regular basis to try to reduce the leaking. What I really want is something that would increase the stool bulk without slowing down the elimination. Robin, thanks for the reminder about the fiber supplement. I use both benefiber and metamucil, switching between the two. I prefer the benefiber since it dissolves better, but the biofeedback nurse recommends metamucil, saying that her experience (and she is very old) shows metamucil promotes a bulkier, more solid stool. I can't tell that either one really makes any difference, but I continue.

Thank you to all for the support. On my last visit, my dr. mentioned colloid injections ??, a treatment that is not yet FDA approved. I'm going to try to do a little research and I'll let you know what I find. Have any of you heard of this?

Take care, JJ

Old 07-21-2007, 08:15 AM   #4
(male)

tmnn123 HB User

please advise...
i had a harmonic scalpel hemorhoidectomy, 4/23/07, for external hemorhoids. The general surgeon removed 3 tags, a pea size, 2 rice size. I NOW have a fissure at the 6 o'clock or unhealed wound, 1/2 inch deep in from the mouth, 3 tags/roids- double the original size.

for the last 4 weeks, i've using topical ointment, diltiazem/channel blocker with anamantle, 3 or 4 times a day. I feel it's working but not quick enough and (I think) anamantle is weakening my tissues 'cause I bleed more when using that so i think i should stop using.

i've been drinking enough water, at least 64 oz, eating healthy - greens, plus 2 stp flax oil, 2 tsp benefiber, and 2 docusate sodium. my stools are good although a little hard when it first come out, and i don't know how to change that, making them all evenly soft, but i guess that it's normal for everyone. when the stool stay at the colon area the colon absorbs a little bit water, which cause the stool to get a little harder than the rest. I am training to have bm twice a day, AM and PM, which means I have to eat more than I should. other than that I am having Bm consistently on every AM but I still bleed only during bm, and the pain and spasm kicked. The pain subsided after 4/5 hr later.

I am seeing 2 colorectal surgeons and 1 general surgeon, and here are my surgeon's recommendations:
1. physical therapy - anal dilation? no clue what she will do!
2. anal advancement flap - re-cut the tissues and staple/stitch back together
3.cutting the tag to reduce pressure for the fissure to heal (suggested by the general surgeon) - most conservative method

i feel good with these drs but after the fiasco I experienced w/ the surgeon who operated on me i have difficulty trusting any dr again. I am going to do it right this time by doing my own research and ask questions with people who had gone through this ordeal. i learn from this healthboard that many drs do not tell their patients the truth, especially the one who operated on me. My goal is to find the RIGHT ONE to operate on me, but i am clueless on how to accomplish this.

so, here my questions:

1. I live in Orange County, CA, and I notice that there are many ABCRS certified surgeons, but what kind of question should I ask them without offending them?
2. Does any one know a referral in Southern California? I plan to join the local colorectal support group so I can get information from them but this will take time which will delay my plan
3. What should I do w/ the recommendations from my surgeons above?
4. in WATCHOUT's thread - all her dr. did was removed a tag/roid that run deep into her fissure, which caused the fissure from healing
5. Should I have the real thing by having fissurectomy, anal advacement flap, a substitution for LIS, where the dr. will have a small incision into the sphincter muscle helping it to relax? or should I have a full LIS procedure? what i fear is the side effects with the LIS. If I have incontinence my career is over!!!!!
6. Should I take the most conservative approach first such as recom #3

Every morning before having a bm I am pain free and didn't even know I have a health problem. In summary, I need to seal this fissure/unhealed wound so that it can no longer retear during bm, causing bleeding, inflamation to the roid/tag. i notice too that the biggest roid, a pea size, is located outside the fissure area. i can honestly say that i can live w/ the roids i have. i want the fissure and the bleeding to stop.

fyi...i was a healthy person and I didn't need a hemorrhoidectomy because I didn't go through any physical pain and my so-called problem then didn't cause me to have tear on my eyes. The reason I decided to have the hemorrhoidectomy was I am about to turn 40, so i want to take care whatever "problem" i have now and hope for the best in the future. Little that I am causing a BIGGER problem for myself. I can never imagine the situation I put myself in!!!!!

Old 07-21-2007, 08:15 AM   #5
(male)

tmnn123 HB User

Con't....

I know that my fissure is 90% healed and if i can stop the bleeding for a week I am confident that it will be gone. I 'tried to fast' for 3 days by eating only activa yogurt, dried prunes, and drinking water. I had constipation resulted doing that. right now I am clueless on how to make treat the final 10% of my fissure!!!!

I've been taking 1 or 2 docusate sodium daily, plus 2 stp benefiber for the last 3 months, and I stopped taking the DSodium las night because I am worry that my body might get used to stool softener medication, only 2 stp of benefiber yesterday - one at breakfast and dinner. My BM movement as of this morning is OK, still had the same bleeding!!! I am trying very hard to train my colon so i can have 2 bm a day, am and pm.

What are the side effects of taking Colace, docusate sodium, miralax? I took 1 stp for miralax for couple days before bedtime and I felt my body did not like what it is in miralax although it was doing its job, so I stopped. Please advise....

Before having the 2nd surgery, I plan to try some of these natural/the unpoplar treatments in hopes to heal my AF/unhealed wound.

* Athlete's Foot Cream Tinactine
* Neosporin
* BF&C ointment
* Hamamelis and Zinc cream
* Wheat Germ Oil, Gotu Kula & Wheat Grass
* Lansinoh
* vitamin E suppositories and oil
* oil of oregano
* Hamamelis and Zinc cream

Many people healed their AF by using the above mentioned home remedies. but in my situation is different because my problem NOW is cause my mankind, not nature!

Did anyone on this board have success trying these treatments? and what are the results?

What are the best way to train your colon so you can have 2 bm a day? what are the natural foods/fruits/drinks so i can make this happen? should i drink plenty of prune juice?

Last edited by tmnn123; 07-21-2007 at 09:42 AM.

Old 07-21-2007, 11:59 AM   #6
(female)

miztee HB User

tmnh123, I am sorry to hear about all your troubles, but I think you are posting on the wrong thread to get the answers you seek. This forum is for those who have had, or will have, the sphincteroplasty operation (re-attaching the sphincter muscles after being torn), which is different from anal fissure repair. Try searching for "anal fissure" or you could start a new thread on the main Health Boards site. Good luck!

Old 07-23-2007, 09:28 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Kel123 HB User

Hi everyone, just got back from myrtle beach vacation with the hubby and kids. I remember reading about troubles with hard stools. Be careful!! I am having excruciatingly painful Bowel movements at the moment. I am contemplating setting up yet another appointment with my colorectal surgeon. I have had some very bad episodes of constipation from the other meds I am on for my Lupus, and I fear that I have torn my rectum or that I have a bad fissure up inside that I can not see. I do not have spasming, just a lot of pain and some blood with BM's. My bum is so sore right now that it hurts to sit So....my advice is to do what you have to to avoid constipation at all costs! I had my surgery in January and while I have no excess wiping issues or leaking anymore, I have had rectal pain ever since. I do not want to add another dr. visit to my to do's, but at this point, I am thinking it is necessary. What I have learned is that no matter what, I will probably always be pre-occupied with my rear, and take special care of it (diet especially) I eat really well and get a ton of fiber in daily, but all this other medication I am on is causing me major troubles.

Lisa,

I am so sorry about your upcoming surgery. I will keep you in my prayers and hope everything goes well.

Take care everyone.
Kelley

Old 07-23-2007, 10:53 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Kel123 HB User

Well, spoke to the surgeon's office today.....I probably have developed a fissure up inside the rectum, and it is more than likely chronic at this point. Start up the sitz baths again and take Ibuprofin (I can't take any other anti-inflammatories!) I am already on prednisone, relafin (NSAID) and many others UGH!!!!@! The medicine I am on-- in an ideal world--- should take care of any pain in my body at this point (but it doesn't) So after 5 more days of sitz baths, if no better, I will go see the surgeon again. If these medical strategies don't help----Surgery!!! I don't want to cry every time I go to the bathroom--Ouch I have to take 1200mgs of calcium to ward off the osteoporosis caused from the steroids and it is very constipating. Can anyone offer advice about using miralax? I have never tried it and don't want to send myself into diarrhea mode either. My surgeon said no to it, but I may try it anyway. Thanks for the venting out loud
Kelley

Old 07-23-2007, 11:22 AM   #9
(female)

miztee HB User

Hi Kelley, so sorry to hear about your problems! But it sounds like you're getting the medical advice you need, and I remember you really like your surgeon, so you are in good hands. Soo, if you do have a fissure up in the rectum, how is that determined for sure? As far as the Calcium goes, I've heard that calcium phosphate causes less gas and is not constipating, but is hard to find. I will see if I can find the link on the Arthritis Fndtn website about a short article they had recently on calcium.

I have not taken Miralax but from what I've read it isn't habit forming. Maybe try to ease into it? Do you think your "ton of fiber" constipates you? For me it's the opposite - if I eat lots of fiber and/or fatty foods, I can expect diarrhea the next day.

I think I'll go back to the sitz baths for a while too, just because my bum is kind of sore each morning after the bm. I remember how the sitz baths were so soothing. I have to work hard to expel, even though the stool is soft. I wonder if that's normal??? It is so long since I've had "normal" but I don't remember having to push so hard. No bleeding tho. (knock on ....)

I hope the others can find this continued thread soon and give you some advice and support too.

Mary

Old 07-23-2007, 11:39 AM   #10
(female)

miztee HB User

Kelley, go to [url]http://www.arthritis.org/strong-advice-for-bones-calcium.php[/url] for calcium information. It does mention constipation (see the comparison chart at the bottom).

Old 07-23-2007, 01:09 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

Kel123 HB User

Thank you Mary! I will go read it. It is the lesser of 2 evils. I need the medication, but with such a sensitive bum issue, it is hard. Every single medication that I take (all 8 of them) have constipation as a side effect! of well, press on I guess
Kelley

Old 07-24-2007, 11:27 AM   #12
(female)

declansmom HB User

Kelley,
Sorry to hear that. I pray you don't have to have another surgery!

I too have been feeling much more painful BM's. I have opened up a bit more now...UHG! I was once totally closed and now have a pea size opening. How depressing. I have also noticed during my period, I have episodes of leakage. I thought I was just not wiping well enough last month, but today, I had to run to the bathroom while at work just to make it. At least I felt it coming...that is an improvement. Has anyone experienced this during their periods? I am not sure if it is related to my endometriosis or not. But it seems my control is much less just during this time.

I also noticed that some skin has 'popped' through from one of the sites of my stitches. It is not very large, but it looks like a stitch literally wrapped around a piece of skin and is now pulled tight to stick out. What is this? It is sore, but not necessarily painful and you canít see any stitches.

Old 07-24-2007, 12:05 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

Kel123 HB User

Hi Lisa,

I always get loose stools around my period--a hormonal thing I guess. I also have had to run to the bathroom during that time, but have not had leaking--maybe just a little bit more wiping because of the looseness. The stitch thing sounds to me like it may be a buried suture that has gotten irritated. I had one up inside the vagina, and a couple on the perineal area that my surgeon eventually buried out and clipped. He put some numbing gel on first. Sometimes the skin heals over it before it fully dissolves. My were also pulling and pinching a bit. I am not sure if you remember reading or not, but my incision pulled apart again around 3-4 mos when I was playing with my baby. I took a long time to fully heal, and that was when I started the cauterizing to get it to heal quicker. My ob/gyn did this, and it did help. Take care of your stool--you do not want to end up with a fissure like me. Having a bowel movement is now more painful than the recovery from this surgery was! Instead of leaking now, I have constant pain. I am back on stool softeners and am going to try miralax if they don't work.
Kelley

Old 07-24-2007, 08:18 PM   #14
(female)

szsv HB User

Lisa,

So sorry to hear about the additional surgery. What does your colo-rectal doc say about having such a major surgery after what you have just been through?

Kelley,

When it rains it pours. I'm also curious as to how they can tell this is an internal fissure. I really hope all your problems can be fixed easily. What a disappointment, to say the least. I'm sorry you are in so much pain. That alone can be depressing. How are you handling working with this? It just gets so discouraging at times. Just when you think you are out of the woods with the healing, something else happens. My thoughts and prayers are with you and Lisa.

On the Miralax questions, I took Miralax when I first got home from the hospital. It caused some urgency issues, so I cut back on taking it and have not taken it since, just Benefiber. Before the surgery I took it and it worked well. So, I don't know how you will react to taking it after 6 mos. post-op. It's worth a try if you are constipated and in pain.

As you all can tell, I'm back from my trip to Hawaii. The wedding was wonderful. Had perfect weather, in spite of a Tropical Depression that was hitting the south end of the island. I did really well. No embarrassing gas issues, just a couple of close calls, but was able to get to a bathroom before anything happened. Was able to go to the bathroom 2 - 3 times each morning and that took care of things for the rest of the day. In spite of the change in diet - lots of tropical fruits, I did not experience any gas or bowel issues. Had no problems on the plane as I was so afraid of and didn't wear the Depends. It could not have been much better. The urgency issue has calmed CONSIDERABLY. Also, for the major evening events, I took an Imodium, just in case, and the good news is that it did not cause constipation the next day.

We took a red-eye home last night and I'm really tired today, but can't tell you all how relieved I am that things went as well as they did. I have more confidence about being out in public, in general now, trusting that I'll be able to handle the gas and urgency issues. I'm so grateful for the way I was able to get through all the activities and able to enjoy myself without all the panic I was experiencing prior to the trip.

Suzan

Old 07-24-2007, 09:35 PM   #15
Veteran
(female)

Kel123 HB User

Suzan,

I am so glad you had a wonderful time in Hawaii. I am sure it was beautiful!

When I talked to the nurse and told her it felt like I was passing glass or sharded metal while having a BM she said it sounded like a classic fissure. I have examined myself and don't see very much, but she said it would be inside and not very noticeable to me. It also bleeds at every BM. I am going to go ahead and make an appt to have it looked at. I am hoping I can try some conservative treatments to avoid surgery. I do not want in any way to jeopardize my successful sphincteroplasty surgery. I still feel so blessed that I don't leak anymore! My bum is slightly sore to sit sometimes, but not too terrible. I can function ok, it's just my rectum hurts. I don't know how to better explain it. Every time I wipe It hurts, (even wiping after voiding only) It hurts up inside there. I have always had some rectal pain since surgery, so now I don't know if this fissure has been there all along or not. I tend to minimize my pain and ignore a lot of it, but this has become too intense now to ignore. It is obviously getting in the way of intimacy and everything else again. ouch Sometimes I wonder if the steroids and immuno-suppressants I am on are inhibiting my internal healing. When the nurse told me to take ibuprofin or NSAID for pain I had to laugh. With all the anti-inflammatories and steroids I am on I shouldn't have any pain. I think I need to deal with the pain on a topical level. Anyway, thanks for your prayers. I am just home from work and oddly enough had some of the worst gas that I have had in a long time at work. I was hiding a lot and running away from myself but was relieved to be able to let it rip in the car Sorry for being gross, a little humor goes a long way! So much for my "no gas issues" Every day is a new day. Take care
Kelley

Closed Thread