It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2007, 12:37 PM   #1
(male)

lennonjon HB User
Unhappy Like so many others...

Like so many others here I have having digestive problems that my doctors just don't seem to be able to do anything about. Maybe someone here can help...

My issues started around last October. I pretty much always feel as if I have to have a BM (even if I don't actually have to). I have very irregular BM's switching from constipation to explosive diarrhea in a matter of minutes. Sometimes there is fresh blood in the stool, sometimes the stool is almost black, other times almost bright yellow. I have cramping and sharp pains in my left side, most severe after I eat (regardless of what or how much I eat). As soon as I eat I get severe cramping and have to have a BM. I am tired all the time. and my joints ache (this is possibly unrelated). I am taking fiber pills, at my doctors request. They don't seem to help.

The kicker. This seems to come and go at random. A couple of times I have been out somewhere and all of the sudden I get nauseous and the explosive diarrhea kicks-in. I now get car-sick when I am not driving. Sometimes I am fine for days. This is affecting me socially and mentally. I am sometimes afraid to go out anymore, for fear that it will strike. This is especially tough as I am a Professor and have to lecture for several hours daily...

I am a lacto-ovum pescitarian: I eat seafood, eggs, and cheese. I was a vegetarian (lacto-ovum) for 14-years and started eating seafood again 5 years ago. My diet is typically good. I don't eat fast food, except for the 24-hour taco shop once a week. I drink water over soda. I have a few Guinness a week.

I have have blood and stool samples examined, with nothing suspect found. I have had a colonoscopy which turned-up nothing but hemorrhoids (which would explain the occasional fresh blood, but not dark blood in my stool). My doctors have said IBS, but come on, we all know that is just a "catch all" where doctors place people with issues they cannot pinpoint. This is a sudden thing, it came on out of nowhere last year. Except. I had the same problems when I was a child, up until about 14-years of age, then I became vegetarian and they disappeared (causal or correlation?). I am now 33 and I feel as if I am reliving my youth. Does anyone have any ideas here?

Salud,
Jon

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-21-2007, 12:46 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: Like so many others...

Hi...IBS doesn't produce blood of varying colours. Not to say you don't have it as well...but bleeding is still a concern and should be checked out thoroughly.

Is the doctor you saw a GP or a GI (gastroenterologist)?

I think you should have indepth blood testing for inflammation, autoimmune, liver and pancreas to make sure there's nothing else going on.

I have ulcerative colitis, and your symptoms match mine before I was diagnosed.

During your c-scope....did you not show ANY inflammation? Do you have a copy of the pathology report? If not, get it, and then seek another opinion.

I personally wouldn't eat seafood on a constant basis...why don't you eat meat such as chicken, beef..etc?

quincy

Closed Thread