It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2007, 06:45 AM   #1
(male)

tmnn123 HB User
Post Hemorrhoidectomy - Now having a fissure, what option to take?

i had a harmonic scalpel hemorhoidectomy, 4/23/07, for external hemorhoids. The general surgeon removed 3 tags, a pea size, 2 rice size. I NOW have a fissure at the 6 o'clock or unhealed wound, 1/2 inch deep in from the mouth, and 3 tags/roids- double its original size.

for the last 4 weeks, i've using topical ointment, diltiazem/channel blocker with anamantle, 3 or 4 times a day. I feel it's working but not quickly enough and (I think) anamantle is weakening my tissues (also was told by my general surgeon and some web site) 'cause I tend to bleed more when using that so i think i should stop using.

i've been drinking enough water, at least 64 oz, eating healthy - greens, plus 2 stp flax oil, 2 tsp benefiber, and 2 docusate sodium. my stools are good although a little hard when it first come out, and i don't know how to change that, making them all evenly soft, but i guess that it's normal for everyone. when the stool stay at the colon area the colon absorbs a little bit water, which cause the stool to get a little harder than the rest. I am training to have bm twice a day, AM and PM, which means I have to eat more than I should. other than that I am having Bm consistently on every AM but I still bleed only during bm, and the pain and spasm kicked. The pain subsided after 4/5 hr later.

I am seeing 2 colorectal surgeons and 1 general surgeon, and here are my surgeon's recommendations:
1. physical therapy - anal dilation? no clue what she will do!
2. anal advancement flap - re-cut the tissues and staple/stitch back together
3.cutting the tag to reduce pressure for the fissure to heal (suggested by the general surgeon) - most conservative method

i feel good with these drs but after the fiasco I experienced w/ the surgeon who operated on me i have difficulty trusting any dr again. I am going to do it right this time by doing my own research and ask questions with people who had gone through this ordeal. i learn from this healthboard that many drs do not tell their patients the truth, especially the one who operated on me. My goal is to find the RIGHT ONE to operate on me, but i am clueless on how to accomplish this.

so, here my questions:

1. I live in Orange County, CA, and I notice that there are many ABCRS certified surgeons, but what kind of question should I ask them about their work without offending them?
2. Does any one know a referral in Southern California? I plan to join the local colorectal support group so I can get information from them but this will take time which will delay my plan
3. What should I do w/ the recommendations from my surgeons above?
4. in WATCHOUT's thread - all her dr. did was removed a tag/roid that run deep into her fissure, which caused the fissure from healing
5. Should I have the real thing by having fissurectomy, anal advacement flap, a substitution for LIS, where the dr. will have a small incision into the sphincter muscle helping it to relax? or should I have a full LIS procedure? what i fear is the side effects with the LIS. If I have incontinence my career is over!!!!!
6. Should I take the most conservative approach first such as recom #3

Every morning before having a bm I am pain free and didn't even know I have a health problem. In summary, I need to seal this fissure/unhealed wound so that it can no longer retear during bm, causing bleeding, inflamation to the roid/tag. i notice too that the biggest roid, a pea size, is located outside the fissure area. i can honestly say that i can live w/ the roids i have. i want the fissure and the bleeding to stop.

I know that my fissure is 90% healed and if i can stop the bleeding for a week I am confident that the bleeding will be gone. I 'tried to fast' for 3 days by eating only activa yogurt, dried prunes, and drinking water. What a mistake! I had constipation resulted doing that. right now I am clueless on how to make treat the final 10% of my fissure!!!!

I've been taking 1 or 2 docusate sodium daily, plus 2 stp benefiber for the last 3 months, and I stopped taking the DSodium las night because I am worry that my body might get used to stool softener medication, only 2 stp of benefiber yesterday - one at breakfast and dinner. My BM movement as of this morning is OK, still had the same bleeding!!! I am trying very hard to train my colon so i can have 2 bm a day, am and pm.

What are the side effects of taking Colace, docusate sodium, miralax? I took 1 stp for miralax for couple days before bedtime and I felt my body did not like what it is in miralax although it was doing its job, so I stopped.

Before having the 2nd surgery, I plan to try some of these natural/the unpoplar treatments in hopes to heal my AF/unhealed wound.

* Athlete's Foot Cream Tinactine
* Neosporin
* epsoms salt
* BF&C ointment
* Hamamelis and Zinc cream
* Wheat Germ Oil, Gotu Kula & Wheat Grass
* Lansinoh
* vitamin E suppositories and oil
* oil of oregano
* Hamamelis and Zinc cream

Many people healed their AF by using the above mentioned home remedies. but in my situation is different because my problem NOW is cause my mankind, not nature!

Did anyone on this board have success trying these treatments? and what are the results?

What are the best way to train your colon so you can have 2 bm a day? what are the natural foods/fruits/drinks so i can make this happen? should i drink plenty of prune juice?

fyi...i was a healthy person and I didn't need a hemorrhoidectomy because I didn't go through any physical pain and my so-called problem then didn't cause me to have tear on my eyes. The reason I decided to have the hemorrhoidectomy was I am about to turn 40, so i want to take care whatever "problem" i have now and hope for the best in the future. Little that I am causing a BIGGER problem for myself. I can never imagine the situation I put myself in!!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-22-2007, 03:59 PM   #2
(male)

lodgen HB User
Wink Re: Post Hemorrhoidectomy - Now having a fissure, what option to take?

i have gone all threw that ,get a colonrectal board certified surgeon to do
i fissureomentry on you ,its simple and will solve your problem with the fissure.its time you understand if its chronic you can not fix it ,it will tear
again,miralax will help with the hard stool, take as much to achieve stool
being completely soft.colace is fine also they are not habit forming and i take
this Regine after surgery.life to short get it done and start enjoying it.

good luck

Old 07-24-2007, 01:13 PM   #3
(male)

tmnn123 HB User
Re: Post Hemorrhoidectomy - Now having a fissure, what option to take?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodgen View Post
i have gone all threw that ,get a colonrectal board certified surgeon to do
i fissureomentry on you ,its simple and will solve your problem with the fissure.its time you understand if its chronic you can not fix it ,it will tear
again,miralax will help with the hard stool, take as much to achieve stool
being completely soft.colace is fine also they are not habit forming and i take
this Regine after surgery.life to short get it done and start enjoying it.

good luck
thanks in advance I know that you will give me your 2 cents...are you a 100% recovered?

What's fissureomentry? is this similar to fissurectomy/advancement flap procedure? Is this procedure as painful as hemorrhoidectomy? I am at the stage where I feel that I am 95% healed in the morning until I had a BM; following that are bleeding, pain/spasm kicked in for 4/5 hr, then I am fine physically. I can even go out and play full-court basketball games with the guys!

The dr. scoped me and he said I had a fissure/an unhealed surgery cut gotten reopened. He said if the diltiazem doesn't work he will do an anal advancement flap. Should I request to have him cut an incision into my LIS to prevent future fissures? I am really afraid of becoming incontinent if he cut my sphinctor muscle group incorrectly!

Since the hemorrhoidectomy I have 3 tag/roids re-grew and double its orginal size, and one of these roids/tags located outside of the fissure area, 5 o'clock....fissure at 6 o'clock, 1/2 inch inside from the mouth.

Should I have another hemorrhoidectomy along w/ the fissureomentry? i can live w/ those roids/tags as long as the fissures is sealed up and the bleeding stops.

Last edited by tmnn123; 07-24-2007 at 01:15 PM.

Old 07-24-2007, 04:34 PM   #4
(male)

lodgen HB User

tmnn123

i have to watch my diet and if i get a hard stool or constipated i will
pay for it. sorry for the misprint i had a bad day its a fissurectomy. my surgery was three hemmroids removed ,fissure and sphincter reconstruction
with flap.i had no choice my rectum was so tight i could no have a bm.if
you have a board certified colon rectal surgeon the decision is his not yours
he will know the best treatment, was able to do a lot to but reinjuring
your rectum after every bm is hard to recover from and it keeps tear and
scarring.took diltizam for three months worked good but never heal my
fissure ,if it chronic it will not heal.lis will cut till the base of the sphincter
and a good surgeon will no go futher,and the chances of incontinent is
no issues ,it rarely happen only in very bad injuries to the syfincter.you rectal
pressure tone is too high once its cut it will drop and you fissure will heal
and the spasm will stop instantly,it happened to me and it will to you.i have
have no pain from this now .you might need both asked your dr and he will
decide.hemmrid surgery should be done only in extreme cases i suffer threw
it and do not wish it on anybody,it takes a long time to heal from,i keep telling
people on this board to fine the best colon rectal dr to do this there is no room for error ,if he cuts it off right and sutures it well you should have no
problems their after its heal.i would fix the fissure and not worry to much
about the hemroids or tags,just keep having soft freeflowing bm ,go on miralax
if you need to ,its not habit forming,i use it and it works.

Old 07-25-2007, 12:25 PM   #5
(male)

tmnn123 HB User

Lodgen -You're right.

I've just met one of the colo-rectal surgeons this morning and he said I need LIS, fissurectomy, to fix my problem. He also said I have anal tenosis...what are the medical procedure to fix anal stenosis?

Old 07-26-2007, 08:21 AM   #6
(male)

lodgen HB User

tmnn123

anal stenosis is tricky to fix , your rectum walls are very narrow and
tight and will cause you to have very narrow stools and if you have hard
stools it will be very difficult to evacuate.you can develop this form not
eating enough fiber to bulk up your stools which cause your sphincter to
get very tight.you will have have a very qualified colorectal surgen to
fix all this there is no room for error.the sphincter will be loser after surgery
and you must take a fiber powder or eat the enough fiber to have a stool
size large of a quarter round tube to keep it stretch out to not have this condition anymore.too many people do not eat enought fiber and can end up with condtion ,the only other way is too much rectal surgery and scarring
is the other reason.
the soon you do this and follow a good fiber plan and keep your stools soft
you will be okay, fiber,water,miralax,colace, i take flaxmeal its organic a
tablespoon a day .phyllium or other fiber powders are fine which ever works for you.you must do this until you feel better and continue the fiber program
by itself after that.
having all these will be hard but once you recover you can grt on with your
life

good luck

Old 07-26-2007, 11:44 AM   #7
(male)

allsmiley HB User

I have no problem with BM, once in every AM and when it happened, 3-5 sec and I am done. When do you consider a person has anal stenosis? what signs/symptoms. The my bm is consistently a quarter size in diameter and I have no difficulty w/ bm at all, 3-5 sec job.

I am still having pain due to 3 fissures, an unhealed wound/fissures located at the 6 o'clock 1/2 or 3/4 of an inch inside, and 2 minor tear at the 12 and 6 oclock due to tags/roids in those locations.

i am scheduled to see a few more colorectal surgeons in my area and cannot wait to hear what they have to say. I'm learning new things every day!

Old 07-26-2007, 02:02 PM   #8
(male)

allsmiley HB User

i am not a smoker but I was wondering whether or not smoking marijuana helping us with the pain and relaxation?

Old 07-28-2007, 10:48 PM   #9
(female)

white_chicana HB User

lodgen

I am 18 years old and about 6 months ago I noticed it was very painful for bms' and my mom told me that it was most likely a hemorid. Well i have been using a cream and 6 months later its still there. It is pretty tiny and not very noticable but very painful during and after bms. I have not seen a doctor yet but plan to asap but do you have any advice of what to do for the pain and discomfort until then or any advice that could help shrink it?
thanks
p.s. it barely ever bleeds. maybe a few times just a little pink dots on tp. but does itch after each bm. please help me

Old 07-29-2007, 03:33 PM   #10
(male)

allsmiley HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by white_chicana View Post
lodgen

I am 18 years old and about 6 months ago I noticed it was very painful for bms' and my mom told me that it was most likely a hemorid. Well i have been using a cream and 6 months later its still there. It is pretty tiny and not very noticable but very painful during and after bms. I have not seen a doctor yet but plan to asap but do you have any advice of what to do for the pain and discomfort until then or any advice that could help shrink it?
thanks
p.s. it barely ever bleeds. maybe a few times just a little pink dots on tp. but does itch after each bm. please help me
your problem sounds like you have a mild case of fissurẹ go see a colorectal surgeon in your area immediate. they may need to scope to diagnose you properly..gl.

Old 07-29-2007, 05:01 PM   #11
(male)

allsmiley HB User

Lodgen,
or anyone who can answer these questions below will be greatly appreciated.

yoúre on target. To fix the fissure at the 6 óclock, which was the side effects from my hemorrhoidectomy, one of the colorectal surgeon recommended to have LIS and BOTOX, 100mg injection, to help heal the fissure since my muscle group is so tightening up down there.

I will request to have a whole 'sha-bang' procedure, which will include fissurectomy, LIS, anal advancement flap, and removing those tags/roids. I am still unsure about removing those tags/roids; it might not be a good idea for now because one of the surgeons said that I need that to help my anus stretch during bm. removing the tags/roids may cause me to have anal stenosis!

The hemorrhoidectomy was a terrible mistake. All the pain and stress in which I have endured in the last 3 months is for nothing. I still have tags/roids at the same locations as it was pre-surgery; unfortunately, these tags/roids are a little bit bigger in size!

I will be seeing a colorectal surgeon at the UCI medical center this week and see what héll sa&#7***; I need to make a decision in August because I cannot live like this. The whole ordeal has broken my spirit and taken away the quality of life.

Questions for you/anyone who reads this post:
Should I request to have those tags removed also?
How long will it take me to recover these surgery?
When can I be going back to work again?
Will these procedure be as painful as the hemorrhoidectomy?
How do i know which dr. is the right one? what question I need to ask w/o offending them?

Old 07-29-2007, 08:06 PM   #12
(male)

lodgen HB User

white chicana

make sure you have soft flowing bm ,no pushing,if your stool is soft that's good if not take co-lace its a stool softener or miralax. try fiber drink, flax meal,psyllium or benefiber,mix a tablespoon with water or juice once a day.
sitz bath are good but if your bleeding a lot skip them,it promotes more bleeding.it can be a hemroid but sounds like a fissure ,do you have a sharp
cutting pain!.make sure you get a colorectal surgeon to look at you ,he is best qualified to make the exact diagnosis.just keep it clean do not put any
ointment on it till you see the doctor.
good luck

Old 07-29-2007, 08:20 PM   #13
(male)

lodgen HB User

allsmiley

you have to clam down,i know what your going threw i been there,fine the
best colorectal surgeon you feel comfortable with ,make sure he is board certified,asked him how many of these he does,all these question are hard to answer,every one heals different.you recover more quickly that hemmroid
surgery ,i had both and i did.the surgeon will decided what he best course of
treatment once he inside your rectum he can figure out if you need more
procedures to be done.if you do all at that at once including hemmroids be
prepared for a long recovery that's a lot of surgery at one time ,i had it and
it takes many months to heal.its imperative to fine the right doctor you should
not have to do the same procedure again,its very difficult to deal with.i really
hope you find one to help you threw this,stay positive you will heal and recover.

good luck

Old 07-30-2007, 12:57 AM   #14
(female)

white_chicana HB User

allsmily and Logden,

THANK YOU very much! i am going to make an appointment tomorrow. and yes i do have a sharp cutting pain. it feels like tearing or kind of like something sharp in digging into my skin. it is very painful. do either of you happen to know what they do with a fissure if thats what it is. thanks you both so much and i hope to hear from you very soon.

Old 07-30-2007, 09:15 AM   #15
(male)

allsmiley HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by white_chicana View Post
allsmily and Logden,

THANK YOU very much! i am going to make an appointment tomorrow. and yes i do have a sharp cutting pain. it feels like tearing or kind of like something sharp in digging into my skin. it is very painful. do either of you happen to know what they do with a fissure if thats what it is. thanks you both so much and i hope to hear from you very soon.

2 type of fissures, acute and chronic...acute fissure can be healed w/ proper diet - do a search for lodgen's posts/replies. lodgen posted some great information. chronic fissures, if not healed in 3 months with conservative treatments such as nitroglycerin/diltiazem/nid??, botolinum A botox. A surgery is to follow - anal advancement flap, lateral internal sphinctorotomy, or anal dialation.

goto the colorectal board web site to locate the certified physicians in your local area. get a few people to diagnose your problem and do not underestimate this sickness.

I made a mistake and I am paying it dearly!!!! I cannot believe that I find myself in this bloody mess.

Closed Thread