It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2007, 12:10 PM   #1
(female)

llambrig HB User
Unhappy Diverticulitis, Colon Resection and Colostomy Bag HELP!!!

Hi all,

My mom, who is 57, is scheduled for surgery to cut out the infected/dead area of the colon she has from her diverticulitis/diverticulosis. She also has a vaginal fistula that they are going to repair. The doctor told her that from the results of a barium enema, she has pockets lining most of her colon. He told her that they need a healthy section to re-attach when they cut out the bad section. He said that they will have to keep cutting until they find a healthy section...won't this lead to a colostomy bag? He told her he won't know exactly how bad it will be until he goes in there. I am scared and I would love any advice, help, or thoughts if you've been through this. I am hoping that she will not need a colostomy bag in the end, but I don't know. She has attemped 2 colonscopies in the past year, but was unsuccessful due to the scar tissue and inflammation from the diverticulitis.

Any advice or words that might calm me down?!
Thank you in advance! I'm a new member here.

Old 07-23-2007, 04:51 PM   #2
(female)

maggiemoo HB User
Re: Diverticulitis, Colon Resection and Colostomy Bag HELP!!!

I can't tell you how much colon they have to have left to reattach--maybe soneone else on the board could.

Did the doctor mention the possibility of a colostomy? Did he talk about not having enough left to reattach? If not, he probably thinks there will be enough to reattach.

While I know you both don't want her to have a bag, you'll find that there are many advances today in colostomies and the bags. My friend's mom has had one for 20 years and you wouldn't know that she had one.

Good luck to your mother.

Maggie

Last edited by maggiemoo; 07-23-2007 at 04:52 PM. Reason: typo

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-24-2007, 12:48 AM   #3
(female)

peacefrog HB User

I had a perforated colon and a temp colostomy for 3 months before it was reversed. It was a difficult time and adjustment, but worth it all to be healthy again. If ever need a colostomy again, I would do it. Once you get the hang of things its not so bad. Good luck!

Last edited by moderator2; 07-24-2007 at 05:57 AM. Reason: Please do not post websites except as described in the posting policy section titled "How to share information".

Old 07-24-2007, 06:47 AM   #4
(female)

izzy1 HB User

HI,
I recently had a temporary colostomy for six weeks due to ruptured diverticulitis. I second what peacefrog said: if I ever have a colostomy, I would do it. It truly is a life-saving procedure. If your mom has to go this route, temporarily or permanently, her hospital will most likely offer a colostomy nurse educator. Mine was great and normalized something that felt completely foreign to me. My hospital also offered a colostomy support group. I chose not to go, since mine was temporary, but it was nice to be invited. If I had a permanent one, I'd be at that group.
I don't know how much healthy colon needs to be remaining to avoid a permanent colostomy. I would call the doctor and talk more about it. Good luck to your mom and to you, going through this with her.
Izzy

Old 07-25-2007, 08:45 AM   #5
(female)

llambrig HB User

Hi all,

Thank you so much for your words of experience. The doctor pretty much told her that he wasn't sure how much he would have to cut out, nor how much healthy colon she has to reattach until he went in. She has chosen to get the surgery now, until waiting until it is an emergency since the doctors have told her she will eventually have the surgery. I am glad to know that if you all would have to go through the colostomy again, you would. That gives me hope that even though it sounds awful (and probably is, I don't know), it's worth being healthy again.

My parents are going to talk with the doctor again on Monday, can you think of any questions you would have wanted to ask before your surgeries...so I can have them ask him??? Also, were you scared when you went in for the surgery? Did you know that you would be using a temporary colostomy bag?

Again, I really appreciate all of your words of support and experience. You all have made me feel better. THANK YOU!!!

Old 07-25-2007, 01:07 PM   #6
(female)

cmunsey HB User

How Did Your Mom's Surgery Go?
Just Curious

Old 07-25-2007, 05:48 PM   #7
(female)

maggiemoo HB User

One of things they will want to discuss is pain control. I had an epidural for pain control. It was wonderful--I highly recommend it. It is put in before surgery--it is used along with general anesthesia. The epidural is left in place for several days as the dose is gradually decreased. It is placed high enough that it doesn't interfere with walking which your mother will need to be doing after surgery. As long as the epidural is in place, a catherer has to be in which really was welcomed. That way I didn't have to hop out of bed to go to the bathroom!!! After the epidural is out then you are switched to other pain killers. I also had this little pump that delivered an antiseptic right into my incision. I really was pain free in the hospital.

They will want to discuss the use the the NG tube. That is a tube that is inserted through the nose and into the stomach to pump any gastric juices. The tube is put in place after the patient is put out and different doctors leave it in place for different amounts of time. Mine was left in place for several days. It is very small and only bothered me if I talked too much--my throat got sore. They gave me some antiseptic spray which took care of it. The NG tube is usually dreaded but it prevents nausea so it is needed. Some patients have it removed in recovery.

Your mom will want to find out what she needs to do to prep before surgery. usually a prep that is similiar to a colonscopy prep is done with antibiotics given. Your parents will also want to discuss length of hospital stay, activity restrictions and diet restrictions for the post-op period. Your mom usually can't lift, push, pull or drag anything over a certain weight. That includes the carpet sweeper--a welcomed restriction.

As for being scared, I think everyone has a certain about of apprehension before any surgery--but was my surgery worth it? Yes, I didn't want to worry about any emergency surgeries that might arise in the future.

Maggie

Old 07-26-2007, 11:50 AM   #8
(female)

llambrig HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmunsey View Post
How Did Your Mom's Surgery Go?
Just Curious
Hi Cmunsey,

She hasn't had the surgery yet. It's planned for August 9th. I will keep this post informed once it occurs. I have appreciated all the posts on here that has eased mine and my mom's mind.

Thank you for wondering though. I will let you know.
~Lisa

Old 07-26-2007, 01:06 PM   #9
(female)

llambrig HB User

Hi Maggie,

Thank you for ALL that information. I know my mom has an appointment to discuss the pre-op information and surgery next Monday. I don't think he has mentioned anything about an epideral or nose tubes...but I have sent her the link to this **** so she can print it out and ask him. (I'm trying to get her to sign up so she can ask questions here too). I know one thing the doc did say was that she will be up and walking the next day. They don't like them to be bed ridden. He said they will monitor her at the hospital, and the stay will be 4-10 days, depending on her rate of recovery. They want to watch for infections, pain level, etc. I think that's a great thing!

Again, I am so glad she has chosen to this the surgery now, instead of waiting until it is an emergency situation, so she should have the energy to have a quick recovery. I appreciate all the information you gave in your last post!! I welcome any other ideas, thoughts, questions that you might think of!

Thanks again!

Old 07-27-2007, 08:37 AM   #10
(female)

cmunsey HB User

thanks.
i have to go to my gastroenterology doctor at two today.
this is about the fourth time i have had this diverticulitis.
it is so painful. i am going to tell my doctor to do surgery
because i can't take this pain anymore. i have been on
antibiotics for ten days now and it still hurts. i had to go to
the hospital the other night.
hope your mom doesn't have any problems.
i will be thinking about her on the day of surgery.

Closed Thread