It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2007, 07:26 PM   #1
(female)

Alesis HB User
Angry Lactose intolerant, Avoided lactose today and still had D!!! Bad D!

Hello everyone:

I had my lactose tolerance test today and "failed."

The GI office that administered the test had a very modern setup. Instead of drawing blood, they had me blow into a tube, drink a lactose solution (which tasted like water to me), and then blow into a tube two more times an hour each apart. What they measured was the hydrogen in my breath.

I was told that I "tested positive for lactose intolerance, which means I am allergic to milk and dairy products." Is there more than one type of lactose intolerance? Just curious.

I was actually surprised, considering that I substituted milk with soy milk for a couple of weeks last year, and actually felt worse. My understanding of how many foods contain lactose was very limited until the lady who did the test today gave me a sheet listing them.

I went out and bought Fast Acting Lactaid tablets. In fact, I got two boxes since they were half off. However, my goal is to try and eliminate as much dairy from my diet as possible. I am going to try and drink Lactaid milk (I'm a big cereal eater), since I cannot tolerate soy milk. Anyone have luck with rice milk? and yes, I realise that some cereals contain lactose right in the flakes themselves (such as Special K).

I asked the lady who administered the test if I should go through with my other tests and she said yes, as there could still be other things going on. I also asked her if I should see a dietician, and she said no, as I could probably eliminate these foods on my own.

After the test, I went to work. I ate:

- a grilled chicken sandwich from a vending machine (had mayonnaise or tartar sauce, which I wiped off)
- four ears of corn (at home for dinner, with Parkay squeeze spread and salt. I checked the ingredients and didn't see any milk products or other lactose-containing ingredients)

After that, I went shopping. While I was at the shopping centre, I had two really bad attacks of D. They came on with great urgency and were pure liquid. I almost felt like I was going to be incontinent with the second attack.

Even though I had no lactose today other than the solution I ingested for the test (about a cup), why did I have such bad D??? I haven't had this bad an attack since before I started the Citrucel.

A.

Last edited by Alesis; 07-23-2007 at 07:26 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-23-2007, 11:28 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: Lactose intolerant, Avoided lactose today and still had D!!! Bad D!

Hi...firstly, you're not allergic to milk or dairy products..you cannot digest or break down the lactose..therefore you have symptoms.

The reason you had diarrhea was probably because of the solution you drank, and that's how long it will take for you to have symptoms. you had no food with it, so that going through the digestive tract is all that came out.
I don't know how long after the test you ate and how long after that you had the diarrhea...but if it was pure liquid, I doubt it was the food you ate. Food stays in your stomach for about 4 hours during that part of digestion, then goes on its way continuing the process.

I've used Rice milk and it's very refreshing. Lactaid milk is much too sweet, but it would depend on in what you are using it as to the taste. Hey, I hear there is even Lactaid ice cream.

You could consider goat or sheep milk that might be easier for you to digest.

What exactly are your symptoms?

Soy milk gives me tons painful of gas, so I'd rather just stick to milk. I did use Lactaid pills, but actually I got more gas from that than I did from the milk products I was consuming.

I think you might be able to find the happy medium. Do a search on lactose containing foods and that might be helpful. Also, all the words that would pertain to lactose...for the food industry does use those terms as well.

quincy

Last edited by quincy; 07-23-2007 at 11:30 PM.

Old 07-24-2007, 03:51 AM   #3
(female)

Alesis HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by quincy View Post
Hi...firstly, you're not allergic to milk or dairy products..you cannot digest or break down the lactose..therefore you have symptoms.
Thank you fort the clarification. I cannot believe she got it wrong!

Quote:
The reason you had diarrhea was probably because of the solution you drank, and that's how long it will take for you to have symptoms. you had no food with it, so that going through the digestive tract is all that came out.
That makes sense to me.

Quote:
I don't know how long after the test you ate and how long after that you had the diarrhea...but if it was pure liquid, I doubt it was the food you ate. Food stays in your stomach for about 4 hours during that part of digestion, then goes on its way continuing the process.
I had the test in the AM, but ate the sandwich at 2:30 PM and the corn around 5:30 PM.

Quote:
I've used Rice milk and it's very refreshing. Lactaid milk is much too sweet, but it would depend on in what you are using it as to the taste. Hey, I hear there is even Lactaid ice cream.

You could consider goat or sheep milk that might be easier for you to digest.

What exactly are your symptoms?

Soy milk gives me tons painful of gas, so I'd rather just stick to milk. I did use Lactaid pills, but actually I got more gas from that than I did from the milk products I was consuming.

I think you might be able to find the happy medium. Do a search on lactose containing foods and that might be helpful. Also, all the words that would pertain to lactose...for the food industry does use those terms as well.

quincy
I thought about the goat's milk thing. I'll have to research online and find out if it had lactose as well. The GI office gave me a sheet with a bunch of keywords that represent lactose, to look for in ingredient lists.

Main symptoms are chronic diarrhea, abdominal pain, and dehydration. I also had lack of appetite, but that has gone down somewhat since starting the Citrucel. I have posted a bunch of threads on here, so feel free to peruse them.

GI doc suspects Crohn's; there are more symptoms to post such as D that interferes with sleep and occasional blood in stool, but I have to run to work. They are listed in my other posts.

Thank you for your help!

A.

Old 07-24-2007, 12:36 PM   #4
(female)

Princess05247 HB User

I took a stool test and was told i was allergic to milk. So i drink the Rice milk with my cereal and it's so good. I can't use the lactaid pills either, they made my stomach hurt worse. I have cut out all diary including cheese. It's hard because i want to eat it. I may try Whole Foods and see what they offer for diary free cheese. I have tried Soy cheese and don't like it.

Old 07-25-2007, 03:52 AM   #5
(female)

Alesis HB User

Sorry to read you're allergic to milk. It must be very diffucult for you. I am definitely going to check out the rice milk.

Last edited by Alesis; 07-25-2007 at 03:52 AM.

Closed Thread