It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2007, 10:19 AM   #1
(female)

cmunsey HB User
back pain with diverticulitis?

has anyone out there had back pain with this disease? my back has been killing me. i am going to see my gastro doctor today and see if he can do surgery or something. i get to where i don't even want to eat. had to go to hospital on monday. been on antibiotics for two weeks and i am still hurting. especially my back.
oh and i am also very weak. is this a sign too?
thanks!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-27-2007, 12:53 PM   #2
(male)

jbar47 HB User
Re: back pain with diverticulitis?

The back pain could be related to it. Your doctor should be able to explain why this is, and also should ask you questions to rule out other sources of the back pain. For instance, do you have a physically demanding job? Do you have a good mattress? Those types of questions.

As for the weakness, that could be (but doesn't mean it is) a sign that you aren't absorbing enough vitamins and nutrients from the food you are digesting. This happens a lot with intestinal diseases, especially ones where there is inflammation of the intestinal walls.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-27-2007, 01:22 PM   #3
(female)

maggiemoo HB User

Just wondering what you found out from the doctor today. Your weakness could be the antibiotics. If you were on the usual for diverticulitis--Cipro, Levaquin or Flagyl--those are high powered and usually me feeling extremely tired.

Maggie

Old 07-28-2007, 08:12 AM   #4
(female)

cmunsey HB User

maggie moo,
yes those medicines make me extremely weak. i didn't know they would do that. i have lost lots of weight because of this.
well, the doctor put me on something for spastic colon. i don't think i have that. my daughter has that and she said that after she goes to the bathroom the pain goes away. well i didn't need to go to the bathroom. i hurt from 6 that evening until i went to the hospital at 5 the next morning and i am not one who goes to the hospital on a whim. anyway, my dr wants me to take this medication for three weeks and then go back to him to see how i am. i told him that i will be fine when i come back because i am not hurting anymore. when i go back in three weeks i will insist on him scheduling a colonoscopy. after all, it has been and two and half years since i have had one. he said i needed to have one this year. maggie i have three brothers who have had intestinal surgery. one for diverticulitis, one for a polyp the size of a walnut and one with cancer. i would think my dr would send me right in for a colonoscopy. sometimes i get so frustrated with doctors. they just give you a pill and send you on your way. i don't like that.
sorry maggie, i am so tired of all of this and i hate unloading on you. i will let you know what happens on the 17th of august. thanks.

Old 07-28-2007, 08:19 AM   #5
(female)

cmunsey HB User

jbar,
no i have a good mattress. i think it is medical. it hurts on the inside. i had surgery on my intestines when i was 4 years old. i almost died.
anyway, the dr. told me yesterday that he thought i had spastic colon. to take another pill. one he prescribed. i do not have that! i looked it up on the net and i don't have any of those symptoms. thanks for your info though.

Old 07-29-2007, 11:01 AM   #6
(female)

maggiemoo HB User

Sounds like it is time to get the colonscopy done to see what is going on. It is frustrating when doctors don't seem to listen. Probably time to remind him about your brothers if you didn't do it at your last visit.

Hang in there. If you're still in a lot of pain, move up your doctor's appointment so you can get some answers sooner.

Let us know how you're doing.

Maggie

Old 09-11-2007, 08:13 AM   #7
(female)

cmunsey HB User

Maggie,
I Have Had A Colonoscopy And It Turned Out Fine. However, I Have Gone To See My Gynocologist And He Has Said I Need My Bladder Moved Up And A Rectocele. Do You Know About This Kind Of Surgery? I Have Looked It Up On The Board But There Isn't Any Info On How Long The Surgery Takes And The Time To Get Over It. Do You Know Anything About It?

Old 09-11-2007, 09:14 PM   #8
(female)

maggiemoo HB User

I don't know anything about a rectocele and the surgery involved. I did have my bladder tacked back up when I had an hysterectomy eight years ago. That really helped my stress incontinence which is why I had gone to the doctor in the first place.

Do you have another appointment scheduled with your gyn to talk about surgery?

Maggie

Old 09-14-2007, 12:23 PM   #9
(female)

cmunsey HB User

yes maggie, i am scheduled for surgery the 25 of sept. it is a three hour surgery and i will have my bladder put up with a mesh and i have a rectocele that he will repair. i am really scared. it is very involved he says. it will take 6 weeks to get over it. i have been doing lots of research on it. some people have no problem but then others have lots of problems. so i guess i will just have to see.

Old 09-16-2007, 10:03 PM   #10
(female)

oliver65 HB User

cmunsey....I have been wanting to respond to you for days...but I have been sick as a dog with diverticulitis or maybe a gallbladder problem. I am having a ct scan in the morning. I have severe back pain stomach pain and have extreme nausea which has been going on for over a month(every day) I am on 500 mls of Cipro and 500 of flagyl twice a day. I am having a very hard time handling the meds!!

I also have had all the surgery you are about to have 9 years ago. But was just told last week by my gyno that I have a prolasped rectocele..he was the one who sent me to the gastro to make sure nothing was going on to push the rectrum wall into the vagina.

Let me tell you girl....it is not an easy surgery. You must make sure you have weeks to rest and have someone to help you do everything!!! and no lifting of any thing heavy.

Not only do I have the lower gi problems and the prolasped rectacle but I also can not empty my bladder....mine also is in whats called a sling. I thought they tied it up around my ears !!!

let me know if you have any questions I might be able to help you with. I'll let you know the results of my ct scan.

Start really taking care of yourself...eat and rest well. Also start to make a cd of the music you love and ask to listen to it while you are having your surgery.

Old 09-17-2007, 08:02 AM   #11
(female)

cmunsey HB User

oliver65,

let me know how your ct goes. i am so sorry you are having so much trouble. hopefully, they can find what is wrong through the ct scan.
i won't have anyone staying with me when i go home. i will just have to deal with it on my own. some way. whenever i go under general anesthesia i always have trouble with my bladder and i have to wear a catheter home. i will tell my doctor not to tack it up too tight. i can't deal with that too on top of everything else. but i will have to take 6 weeks off work or longer.
that diverticulitis is something awful. i can barely walk when i have that. i feel for you. i really do.
why do we have to fall apart when we get old?
i just want everything to be over.
let me know how you do ok? i will be thinking of you.
oh, do you know how long i will be in the hospital? i have a dog i am worried about.

Old 09-19-2007, 08:17 PM   #12
(female)

oliver65 HB User

cmunsey...EEK..I am having such a time with these meds..the nausea is so intense. I have been dealing with nausea since Aug. every day! I had my ct scan on Monday and am waiting for a colonoscopy. I had several polops last time. Seems the diverticulosis is a large part of this mess. I am so sick of being in pain day after day.

It worries me to here you say you will not have any help when you get home from your surgery.Are you have vaginal and adomanial at the same time? Mine was years ago..and I was in the hospital for 5 days. I sure hope I don't have to repeat that event. Maybe they have found a new way to do this type of thing without a cut everwhere You will be full of stiches thats for sure. You just can't lift anything for weeks.

what kind of dog do you have? I hope its not one that you have to pick up..you just will not be allowed to do so. I do wish you could find someone to stay with you a few days. We always think we are so strong and can do everything without help...but I have sure learned that the hard way. I have caused myself a great deal of pain just because I always think I'am wonder woman (I really am...I just can never find my suit!!)

I have three 60 pound dogs who never leave my side when I am not well. I did set myself back a few times after my back surgery trying to tend to the dogs..we do things without thinking..and pay with pain later!

Hope you are staying postive.....eating and resting well....

Please try to find someone to stay with you...don't you just hate that bag thing!!!!!Oliver65

Old 09-20-2007, 09:38 AM   #13
(female)

cmunsey HB User

oliver65,
i know. when i get that stuff, i am sick for days. sometimes it comes back right after i get over it. and the meds make me so weak. my dr told me that anything i eat can get stuck in there so what is a person to do i ask?

don't worry about me when i get home. if i need someone, i am sure i will get someone to come. he is doing it through the vagina only. my insurance papers that i received in the mail said i would be out for one day. i don't know about that. that will be up to the dr i think. if he wants me to stay for a few days, then my insurance will have to let me. they have no choice. i will throw a fit.

i have a chihuahua. she is only 8 months old. i have to pick her up to take her out but i am training her to go up and down the steps with a collar. hopefully it will work since i can't pick her up.

yes i hate that bag thing!!! i will let you know how it goes.
you take care too. hope your colonoscopy turns out ok.
take care.

Old 09-23-2007, 06:10 PM   #14
(female)

oliver65 HB User

cmunsey...ekk...I have been so weak and so sick to my stomach and with such intense backpain that I have not been able to drag myself to this machine!!!The cipro and flagyl better be doing some good. I still have six more days. I can't even look at food..and yet I have to cook 3 well balanced meals a day for my husband ....I am his 24 hour caregiver...as he has cirrhosis of the liver and food prep is very intense but I have keep him alive for the past 6 years when they told him he only had 6 months to live.

well, that enough sad sapping for me!! I guess your surgery is only days away. Sounds like it has improved a great deal since my day....as I had vaginal , rectal and stomach all at the same time to repair my bladder and rectrocel.

My dr. said I can not have the colonoscopy for three weeks
after the ct scan due to the dye they use. So here I sit and wait feeling sicker by the day!!

I am wishing you well for your day of surgery...I guess you will have to train your little doggie to be a nurse!! Hope the step thing is working well. ..my new one is 10 months old and just hit the scales at 59 pounds.

good luck to you and let me know how your doing...by the way ...do you still have back pain?

Last edited by moderator2; 10-05-2007 at 09:21 PM. Reason: discussion of what's not allowed to be posted is off-topic, neither necessary nor allowed

Old 09-24-2007, 08:15 AM   #15
(female)

cmunsey HB User

oliver65,
i know how that is. that back pain is some bad stuff. especially with the diverticulitis. that medicine makes me soooo weak. bless you for taking care of your husband!!!!! i am so sorry you have all that to do on top of everything else.
hopefully they will just go through the vagina. unless they have some problems.

the step thing is working out very well. if i have to, i will let her on the porch to do her thing. if she will.
yes i do still have back pain but maybe that is because of the bladder problem. i read that somewhere.
well i best get off here and get back to work. my last day for a while. tomorrow is the day. ugh!!!!!!
hope you get better. i will let you know how it goes.

Last edited by moderator2; 09-24-2007 at 09:13 AM. Reason: please read the rules instead of wondering about them - the rules are enforced here

Closed Thread