It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2007, 06:05 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

libloom HB User
Smile Bowel movements after colon-resection

Hi.....

To all you "re-secties"....how long before your bm's were "normal" after your surgery. By normal, I mean just once (or possibly twice) a day.

I'm 2 weeks post-op today and have been going several times a day. Soft, not hard to pass. I've been eating regular, soft foods for almost 5 days now and am going more often since introducing the solid foods. Today was the record......at least 8 times.

I'm thinking all of this is normal and would probably be concerned if I were constipated or had diarrhea.

I see my surgeon on Friday for post-op check.

Any input?

Thanks so much,
Linda

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-20-2007, 09:07 PM   #2
(female)

maggiemoo HB User
Re: Bowel movements after colon-resection

That is exactly how it was for me. I swear it was every time I ate anything--even a cracker--or it seemed like it. I don't really remember how long it took--probably several months before I became more regular.

How are you feeling otherwise?

Maggie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-20-2007, 09:14 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

libloom HB User

Hi Maggie....

I'm feeling pretty good otherwise. Still a little sore, but so happy with my progress. Energy levels are low. Waiting for my stamina to come back!

Thanks so much,
Linda

Old 08-20-2007, 10:21 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

Linda,

I had 2 1/2 feet removed -- but after 5 days in the hospital -- I went home and started taking psyllium twice daily to make me regular.
I had been taking it for many years prior to my resection. And, I also drink 6 to 8 glasses of water daily.

Taking a watr soluble Fiber supplement is safe to take daily and is a bulk forming agent that will firm up your stool.

I wish you well ---Harry

Old 08-21-2007, 09:18 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

libloom HB User

Thanks Harry.....

I'm thinking my surgeon will have me start some sort of fiber regimen when I see him on Friday.

Best wishes,
Linda

Old 08-21-2007, 07:09 PM   #6
(female)

peacefrog HB User

I'm 7 months post-colostomy and still have multiple bms a day. Even more often than I eat. I don't eat breakfast and have three normal ones before I leave for work. I'm starting to have days when I don't go nearly as often. I really didn't even notice that until your post got me thinking about it. I think the average is probably 5-6/day now which is a great improvement from the 10-15/day. I was told not to take any fiber supplements for some reason by both the surgeon and my family dr. It sounds like you are doing well. Congrats and best wishes for continued recovery.

Old 08-22-2007, 09:09 AM   #7
(female)

izzy1 HB User

Hi Linda,
I am 9 weeks out from my resection and I am down to two or three BMs a day, and I'm thinking maybe this will be my new norm. Early on, I also had to go many times a day and urgently. That seemed to last about a week, then I moved on to constipation, which made me nervous, but I started on fiber and the constipation went away (also seemed to take about a week to get through that stage).
Finally, the energy level returned; I guess it was at about 6 weeks. The only reminder I have of the resection is occasional gas pains which I attribute to eating something that my body's not quite ready for (usually veggies). Here it is just a matter of two months post-op and I feel like myself again. I would bet you will feel like yourself even sooner, since you already sound really good.
Best regards,
Izzy

Old 08-22-2007, 01:04 PM   #8
(female)

steckles HB User

i seem to be a bit different...

i had my surgery in Nov. 05 and just was also diagnosed with endometriosis.

I am still almost 2 yrs later having issues going. Morning really hurts, probably due to having to go but also pressing on my endo affected ovary.

I have not found a diet that works consistently, and instead of going too much, its not enough with me....

fiber this fiber that and all it does is make me bloated and feel horribly full, even with water...

Old 08-23-2007, 03:31 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sharon76 HB User

Hi

I had my resection nearly a year ago and to this day i still haven't got it sorted out. I go endless times each day, often loose count, and they are always loose and very yellow in colour.

I was told this was because of part of the bowel i had removed, i had the terminal ileal valve removed.

The only thing that helps me is questran, this bungs me up for a couple of days, gives me a bit of a break from going to the toilet and then i have to take senna to help me go as i get alot of pain after a while.

My doctors have told me that if it isn't sorted out by now then more than likely i will stay this way!!

It's a nightmare and i will never get used to it, will just have to live with it. Soemtimes it can be that bad that after i have eaten 20 mins later i am running to the toilet!

Good luck and i hope it settles down soon.

The Following User Says Thank You to Sharon76 For This Useful Post:
maryrain (02-14-2012)
Closed Thread