It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2007, 07:37 PM   #1
(female)

ptzgrl HB User
Anyone use Miralax?

I had a colon resection in April because of diverticulosis, then developed a stricture at the surgery site, and am doing my best to keep from being constipated. All the fiber works, but is giving me loads of gas, and if I am unable to drink as much water as needed with all the fiber, things get difficult again,, if you know what I mean.

So a friend of mine (who is pretty young, about 35ish) told me about Miralax.
She swears by the stuff, says she uses it daily and never has a problem. She used to get the prescription stuff, but guess it is now OTC, and she couldn't be happier. She told me she used to do the yo-yo dieting stuff and now her peristaltic action is no longer working. Anyhow...she tried to tell me that Miralax is not harmful to the body...no chemicals or drugs. But I questioned why was it prescription before then???

Anyone out there got any info....I checked at their website, but of course they aren't gonna tell me it's dangerous??!!! I could use some help!

Old 08-24-2007, 08:28 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

lavender01 HB User
Re: Anyone use Miralax?

I have been using Miralax for 3 days now. I had really bad diarrhea over the weekend - then after Sunday - nothing - I called my doctor Wed. I was getting worried and she told me to get this. I have been using it and it is working for me so far! I just put it in my water, sprite or juice and drink it. It has no taste.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-04-2007, 02:22 PM   #3
(male)

drhunter HB User

PTXGRL,
Miralax is nothing more than polyetheline -glycol (the same thing as Co-lytely, the gallon jug prep medecine for a colonoscopy), just a smaller dose.
If you're having gas problems with the fiber, I'd suggest you try Citrocel...I find that it does not create the gas that many ofg the other fiber products do.
Good luck!

Old 09-05-2007, 03:24 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

NY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB User

ptzgrl,
I started taking mirilax about 2yrs ago after I had a problem with my intestines after abd. surgery.
all it did was just soften the stool and not cause a bowel movement like a laxative would. it just softens it.
I did notice though, which I just observed this recently, is that when I do take the recommended dosage, I start getting this gnawing pain down on the right lower pelvic side where the appendix sits. it aggraviates something inside. I'm sure it's not just a conicidence for me and now I'm afraid to take it again now that I'm having constipation again.

I'm so sorry to hear of your problems and don't take anything that has to do with our digestive system lightly.
I USED to take it for granted until I myself started having problems that I never knew existed. I've always had what's considered an iron stomach.
but ever since my total hysterectomy, it seems like a big problem is brewing.

I really wish you the best and hope you like the mirilax.
let me know if it works for you?

sincerely,
L

Closed Thread