It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2007, 11:27 AM   #1
(female)

MaryAnn HB User
Bacterial Infection

My husband has been having abdominal pain and diarrhea for about 4 weeks. He went to the doctor 3 weeks ago and doctor suggested a CT scan of kidney and appendic if pain didn't get better. He was thinking kidney stones. Well, being a stubborn man, he didn't go any further with it thinking it would go awayon it's own. It hasn't and in the last week he has become more run down, runs a fever off and on and just generally hasn't felt well. He finally went back in today and they did a stomach xray. It apparently showed bacteria growing on his intestine. He has been given 2 antibiotics to take for a week and will also have a CT scan. Has anyone had any experience with anything sounding like this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2007, 02:51 PM   #2
(female)

Georgigirl HB User
Re: Bacterial Infection

Hello, I just joined this board but I had a bacterial infection in my intestines in February of this year that sent me to hosptial after 3-4 days of fever and diahhera, and finally bleeding from my intestines. It was Campylobacter and I have no idea how I picked it up but I have never been so sick. It really has affected my health and it has also given me a type of colitis. The Doctor says it may take me a couple of years to get better because of it destroying the lining of my intestines. You should find out the name of the bacteria and then reference what you can do to help your husband. There are some nasty bacterias out there. Always take precautions, especially when handling meat or when you travel out of the country. I hope he gets better soon.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2007, 06:41 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

libloom HB User

There are different reasons why someone would have a bacterial infection in their colon. You mention your husband has been put on 2 different antibiotics for a week....what are they? You also mention a stomach x-ray.....did they use a contrast medium? Did they mention it could be diverticulitis, which is an infection (bacteria) of existing diverticula. Just describing that they "found bacteria growing" is sort of vague......

Another diagnostic test for bacteria would be to test a stool sample....which sounds like they would have done for Georgigirl......

Best of luck,
Linda

Old 09-08-2007, 06:52 PM   #4
(female)

MaryAnn HB User

Well it did turn out to be diverticulitis. He had a cat scan Thursday and that confirmed it. He had been taking cipro and flaygl(not sure if that is the correct spelling). He ended up being hospitalized because his white blood count was rising and they were also concerned about a perforation. After 2 days of having fluid and antibiotics pumped into him, he was released this afternoon. He was told to eat soft foods until things heal up more. He really doesn't have any pain, but there is a sore spot when the doctors push on his stomach. He had to eat solid food before he could leave the hospital, but I think he's maybe a little afraid to eat much. I can't say I blame him. Anyhow, I'm just wondering for anyone who has been hospitalized with this, how long your recovery took and what to expect. I would appreciate any input!

Old 09-08-2007, 07:22 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

libloom HB User

MaryAnn......

I can only speak of my experience. I was hospitalized in May with a 5 cm. abcess (diverticulitis), which did perforate but was contained (did not spill into the abdominal cavity). I was on IV Cipro and Flagyl for 5 days and took them orally for another 2 weeks. Normally, they could drain an abcess like mine but, because of the location, they could not.

I waited a few months and had a re-section done (a little over a month ago). The surgeon took a foot of very diseased colon. BTW, this was my first diverticulitis attack.

As for your husband, he should recover nicely....but I'm wondering if they'll keep him on the Cipro/Flagyl combination for a little longer? Will he have a follow-up CT scan? I felt better than I had in a long time when I went in for my surgery...but knew it had to be done.

Have him stick to creamed soups, puddings, mashed potatoes, etc. for a while...then slowly introduce solid (but soft) foods. It's probably still pretty inflammed inside and that takes time to resolve. Hard to say when he should introduce fiber.....so ask the doc.

Best of luck,
Linda

Old 09-09-2007, 09:55 AM   #6
(female)

MaryAnn HB User

Thanks for the reply Linda. Yes, he will stay on the two antibiotics for another 7 days. He has a follow up check up on Wednesday so we'll see if the doctor decides to keep him on any longer than that. He had a good nights sleep last night and is up and puttering around outside. I read another board someone had said they really didn't feel 100% until they were done with the antibiotics. Did you find that to be true? I hope he can avoid surgery, but I guess time will tell. I also think the infection wouldn't have gotten so bad had he not let things go so long. I guess the one good thing about it is that he now knows that it didn't pay to wait and I don't think he'll do that again! I'm glad you're doing so well. I had never even heard of diverticulitis until a few days ago but I am amazed at the number of people affected by it. It seems that most everyone I talk to has heard of it and knows of someone who has it. I know we're not alone!

Old 09-09-2007, 10:05 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

libloom HB User

Mary Ann.....

Yes, I felt 100% after the course of IV and oral antibiotics. I could barely stand taking the Flagyl (nasty stuff) and started hiding the pill in a spoonful of yogurt.......slid down the throat nicely!

It was so very hard for me to move forward with my surgery because I was feeling so good. My surgeon wanted to buy some time before operating giving the inflammation time to resolve....and I felt strong and healthy come surgery time.

Better to know about your husband's diverticulitis than not. It's a very small percentage of people whose diverticulosis develops into the "itis." He may never need surgery and it's possible to control with diet and medication.

Best wishes,
Linda

Old 09-10-2007, 02:07 PM   #8
(female)

MaryAnn HB User

I'm back with one more question. Did it take you awhile to really get your appetite back? My husband says he just doesn't feel like eating. I think it's partly because he is afraid the stomach problems will come back. He drinks water and juice all day. I'm wondering if the antibiotics also have something to do with the lack of appetite. Any thoughts??

Old 09-10-2007, 02:16 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

libloom HB User

Mary Ann....

It does take a while to get the appetite back....especially while on those strong antibiotics. Have him eat lots of yogurts to replenish the "friendly" bacteria in his intestines....especially after he's done with the pills. Activia is a good one. Lots of fluids are important, too.

I always welcome losing my appetite, which is usually healthy! I lost at least 10 pounds after my re-section a month ago, but am slowly putting it back on.....sigh!

Don't worry....he'll feel like eating soon enough (and it can be psychological....fearing more symptoms).

Linda

Old 09-13-2007, 04:09 PM   #10
(female)

MaryAnn HB User

Well, the doctor said yesterday that my husband can quit taking the antibiotics after today. Things have been going pretty well but the main complaint is that food just plain tastes bad, bitter. The doctor says that is the flagyl. So, hopefully things will improve greatly once that is out of his system. He says he can hardly stand taking them anymore, they make him feel sick. All stomach tenderness is gone so I hope there are no more flair-ups. That brings me to one more question. If symptoms start showing up again, how long should a person try taking care of it themselves? I know he waited WAY to long this time, but what do you suggest? Thanks in advance for the advice. It's so nice to hear from someone who has been through this!

Old 09-13-2007, 05:03 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

libloom HB User

Hey Mary Ann.....

Glad your hubby's off the Flagyl. It is so nasty. His appetite will surely pick up now!

As for future warning signs and when to seek medical advice...the pain, of course and, more importantly, a fever. I walked around with one for days (looking back on it) before I went to the ER....where it spiked to 102!

Diverticulitis is nothing to fool with. An abcess that perforates can be life-threatening!

Bon appetit!
Linda

Old 09-13-2007, 07:36 PM   #12
(female)

MaryAnn HB User

Thanks for the response Linda. He took 2 doses today and says it has made him feel rotten. I will be so glad when that stuff gets out of his system. I have been reading comments that people have written about their experiences with flagyl and it makes you wonder why doctors prescribe it. Many people said that when the side effects became too much, they were told to stop taking it. Hopefully, the effects don't hang on too long!

Old 09-29-2007, 07:07 PM   #13
(female)

oliver65 HB User

I sure wish I would have clicked on this post earlier this month...MaryAnn.... I have diverticulosis and have been on those nasty meds for 14 days...tonight was my last one. I see my gastro on tuesday and am having a colonospy on thursday. I have been sicker from the meds than the attack!!!

I have never been so weak...and just the sight of food makes me feel like I will throw up. I even feel like my eyes are at half mask...and my brain is for sure!!

I sure hope I start to feel better when the pills wear off. My stomach is still sore to touch...and my bowel is far from being normal...maybe it's the lack of food. The nausea is so intense.

It's good to read about others who go through the missery of bacterial infections and diverticulosis.
oliver65

Old 09-30-2007, 01:20 PM   #14
(female)

MaryAnn HB User

Hi Oliver,

I hope you start feeling better soon. It has been a long recovery for my husband. He had such a time with eating because he had a metal taste in his mouth that made everything taste horrible. It took more then a week of being off the flagyl for that to wear off. He did have a consultation with a surgeon last week. The surgeon explained the whole process but said we'll cross that bridge if and when we get to it. He told him it takes time for your body to heal itself and that feeling tired and not feeling well is part of the process. I think he overworked himself yesterday and today is on the couch not doing much. I get frustrated when it seems like things are going backwards instead of forward, but I'm seeing first hand that recovery from diverticulitis is not an easy thing. It takes time and patience(which I have trouble with!). I hope your colonoscopy goes well. My husband hasn't had that suggested to him, he's just had the CT. Good luck and I hope things improve for you soon!

Old 10-02-2007, 09:14 AM   #15
(female)

cdnsnolady HB User

I also have diverticulosis but no treatment except I was told not to eat seedy things. However, I have had an ulcer caused by H pylori and was on antibiotics to treat. What docs don't realize is that after antibiotics, you must start a program of PROBIOTICS ( such as Acidopholous) to restore the good bacteria again. Whenever my digestive system starts acting up, I resume acidophilous 3X daily. A friend of mine went to a nurse practioner and acidophilous was the first treatment she suggested.

Last edited by cdnsnolady; 10-02-2007 at 09:14 AM.

Closed Thread