It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2007, 08:18 AM   #1
(female)

mimianvy HB User
I must be crazy!

But I'm looking forward to the colon resection that's going to happen in about 4 weeks...

I'm new to the board, but not new to diverticulitis. I was in the hospital twice in 2 years for this problem then again for more than 10 days with c-diff from the treatment. Three attacks of divericulitis since May of this year and we decided that it was time to do the deed. My surgeon will be doing a open resection so that he can inspect the abdomen area better. I have diverticulosis throughout my colon, begining to the end....lucky me!

But I am glad that I stumbled into this forum...I am looking forward to all the information here.

Old 09-02-2007, 09:22 AM   #2
(female)

loulou77 HB User
Cool Re: I must be crazy!

Hi there

Just want to wish you good luck with your op and treatment your going to be fine. let me know how you get on.. louise

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-06-2007, 07:53 PM   #3
(female)

maggiemoo HB User
Re: I must be crazy!

mimianvy,

No I don't think you are crazy for looking forward to your surgery. I think that you are looking forward to putting an end to what you have been going through.

Ask any questions that you have. There are several of us who have had resections done.

Maggie

Old 09-07-2007, 05:53 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

libloom HB User

mimianvy....

You're not crazy. You're smart to have the surgery and have some peace of mind. Sounds like you've had a real battle with the dirty "d."

I had my re-section a month ago and am so glad I did.

Much good luck,
Linda

Old 09-09-2007, 05:26 AM   #5
(female)

peacefrog HB User

what ARE the symptoms of diverticulitis? .

Last edited by peacefrog; 09-09-2007 at 06:59 AM.

Old 09-09-2007, 08:19 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

libloom HB User

Peacefrog.....

Just my experience....other folks may have had different symptoms:

Lower right quadrant pain (normally, pain is left-sided). Tought it was appendicitis. Feeling yucky....low energy levels, flu-like symptoms. Too, I was waking in the middle of the night with my hair/head and the pillow case wet with sweat. Eventually developed severe chills.....layering clothes to keep warm (and this was in late May). Elevated white cell count and fever (mine spiked to 102.)

All along I thought I'd had IBS. Colonoscopy showed some diverticula pockets, but nothing remarkable. So-called IBS symptoms were severe cramping, sometimes nausea. after initial bm in the morning. Feeling that I still had to go...lots of lower gut pressure and pressure at rectum. I'd be late for work many days.

Eating a meal and having it go "right thru me" - several accidents in the car on the way home from a restaurant. Waking in the middle of the night with severe cramping and explosive diahrrea.

After finding out how diseased my colon was, I realized that I had been abcessing and perforating for a long time.....but had lived with the painful cramping and colon motility problems for a long time and never realized that I had been having diverticulitis flares. All of the damage in my sigmoid colon was on the outside of the colon...clearly visible on the barium enema I had done prior to my surgery. I saw the film....and a large section looked like a worn tire ready to blow.

So much for my IBS theory.

I was very lucky, though, that my biggie abcess diagnosed in May didn't perforate totally and I was able to have my surgery a few months later.

Hope this helps some. As I said, this is just my personal experience with diverticulitis.

Best wishes,
Linda

Old 09-09-2007, 07:49 PM   #7
(female)

peacefrog HB User

Thanks Linda! You'll wonder why I asked when I tell my story. In Oct. I had a back ache at work that was unbearable so I left. Felt like crap that night, thought I had the flu. Drove myself to the ER next day thinking they'd give me antibiotics and go home. Wrong! Dr. pressed on my lower belly and wow! After contrast and IVP,determined diverticulitis and kept me in 4 days on IV antibiotics. Flagyl made me severely ill so switched to another one day 3. One week later going to work pain hit again with awful chills. Doubled over, but drove to dr.s office. (dumb) She gave me a shot while I was curled up on her floor, and I was taken to the hospital. My colon had perforated and I had peritonitis with c-diff. I had 6 inches of colon removed and a temp colostomy the next day. I had a reversal in Jan.(with pneumonia and anemia)..... I'm doing well now, but lately have had cramping and pain on the right side (stoma was on the left) and am afraid of every pain. I had always had what I decided was IBS but never went to the dr about it. My whole family has "sensitive stomach". I wonder if the hurrying home after I ate out, the severe cramping with chills and sweats, diarrhea were signs of the diverticulitis all along. I still have frequent BMs, but only have had a couple episodes of the cramping and diarrhea. The pain in my belly isn't severe, but it concerns me. Fri. night it was taking my breath away for about an hour while I had diarrhea. Imodium helped, but if I eat.. I go. I don't eat breakfast and still go 2-3 times before I leave for work. Surgeon says he got all the diverticuli and it all looked clear for the reversal but how quickly can they come back? I know I should call and ask, but I just want to be dr free for awhile, ya know? Sorry so long-winded.

Old 09-09-2007, 08:15 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

libloom HB User

Wow Peacefrog....what a story. So sorry you had to go thru so much.
Sounds a lot like me, though, calling my bowel problems IBS. I'm convinced now it was diverticulitis all along.

Funny you should mention cramping up on Friday. I ate a sloppy joe that same day and got sick for the first time since my surgery....the cramping, frequent movements....but no explosive diahhrea.

Guess all we can do is recognize our symptoms, be vigilant, and hope for the best. I'm sure I have more diverticula in my colon....minus a foot of a really diseased section.

Let's keep our fingers crossed that we'll do well and avoid more surgery!

Best wishes,
Linda

Old 09-11-2007, 07:22 PM   #9
(female)

peacefrog HB User

It was a rough time, but okay now. Except I've been noticing that when I go for walks I have anal irritation. What the heck? Never had hemorriods before and see nothing now, but when I got home after a walk last night there was blood on my underwear. Scared me to pieces. I assume hemorroids but why? Could it be related to the surgeries somehow? I think it'll be a long time before I can stop over-analyzing. How are you feeling now? Any more cramping?

Old 09-11-2007, 07:33 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

libloom HB User

Hey peacefrog.....

Geeeez......if it isn't one thing, it's another, huh? I've had hemorrhoids since I gave birth almost 36 years ago. I have no idea if yours could be related to the surgery or not. Could be. As for over-analyzing, there has to be a happy medium somewhere. I'm a little paranoid now.

No more cramping, but now I've been constipated! LOL! Need to beef up on the fiber now!! I've hesitated because it's so soon after my surgery.

Take good care,
Linda

Closed Thread