It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2007, 08:59 AM   #1
(female)

LorraineB HB User
Unhappy HELP! Uncontrollable diarrhea

Hello all....my first post here and hope you'll bear with me with the long post...need to explain. I've always had IBS according to docs since I can remember. Had my gallbladder out 14 years ago and that's when it really started but I just had "bad bowels" not anything I couldn't control. Alot stemmed from anxiety about the IBS...you know the vicious cycle, you get anxious about going somewhere with the belly problems and the anxiety gives you MORE belly trouble!

Well anyway, last month I went for a test (not related to my belly!) and had to literally jump off the xray table and run to the bathroom. Unfortunately, there was someone in the bathroom so needless to say I couldn't hold it and thank God I had on a pad or it would have been ugly. That test required injecting a dye and drinking about 5 glasses of water (I had no other food in my system) and just that alone made me run I guess.

Now, for the past two weeks, I have been having uncontrollable diarrhea. I have been taking Lomotil which does help but every morning I'm running and if I'm not RIGHT beside the bathroom well, i think you know how this story ends! I go about 5 times and then I'm usually good for the rest of the day IF I take 2 to 3 Lomotil.

I have had 3 colonoscopies in the last 10 years or so; the last one was in 2005 and it was good. I am currently taking a betablocker and thought perhaps this was the culprit but the diarrhea started before that but the uncontrollable stuff started right after. It's like turning on a faucet, yellow liquid.

Sorry if I'm a bit graphic but this is the only place I know that I'm sure you've all "heard it before."

Can anyone help? I will be calling my GI in the morning but I know he'll just do another colonoscopy which will probably take about 2 weeks to schedule so I'm sorta desperate for help NOW! I'm afraid to venture out anywhere and I can't just call off work for the next two weeks!

Thanks for any advice you can give!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LorraineB For This Useful Post:
blythspirit (08-12-2012), gzim (06-04-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-03-2007, 11:39 AM   #2
(male)

obiwan101 HB User
Re: HELP! Uncontrollable diarrhea

Have your Gastro Doc check for Habba Syndrome, fructose malabsorbation(Gabe Mirken, University of Iowa) and lactose(very common) malabsorbation. They never do, lactose malabsorbation excepted. Go on an elimination diet to determine if possibly any other food substances are setting you off(onions, gluten, etc). Docs seldom think of this strategy either. And of course could be bacteria or some type of flora problem. Small Bowel Overgrowth of bacteria another possibility that is usually overlooked. Check Cedar Sinai Hospital, Marc Pimentel on his research of this disorder. You could probably visit 10 different Gastro Docs before hitting all of these possibilities, and still have struck out.

Old 09-03-2007, 03:29 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

morrisun HB User
Re: HELP! Uncontrollable diarrhea

You might also want to ask your Dr. about Bile Salt Diarrhea. It happens with some people who have had their gall bladder removed. From your description it sounds like it could be the culprit.

There is a medication called Cholestyramine that can help with that.

Good luck!!
PCOS

Last edited by morrisun; 09-03-2007 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Spelling

The Following User Says Thank You to morrisun For This Useful Post:
blythspirit (08-12-2012)
Closed Thread