It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2007, 10:13 AM   #1
(male)

JtMac24 HB User
Dilation, Anoplasty, or both?

I'm a 54 year old man with inactive Crohn's disease. In 1983 I suffered terribly from extremely painful anal abscesses, fissures, and a fistula that tunneled its way to the surface of my buttock as a result of the disease. I had three surgeries including a fistulaectomy which left my buttock disfigured, my anus & rectum scarred, and even required my surgeon to cut the internal sphincter to resolve the problems. The resulting scarring from the surgery left me with pencil-sized stools and fecal leakage. The surgery substituted agonizing pain with disfigurement and the humiliation of dealing with my inability to stop soiling my underwear. A good swap in my opinion. I have happily dealt with those problems for over 20 years now.

Sometime after the surgery I became aware that my disease became quiet everytime I was put on Flagyl or other antibiotic for subsequent infections. Finally, after many years of 10mg of cortizone daily to control my disease, I demanded my doctor take me off the steroids and put me on a low dose of antibiotic for a short time to try to control the disease. He refused until I told him I would find a doctor who would. He finally agreed and put me on a daily low dose (250 mg) of erythromycine (which I believe is commonly used to control acne). Within six months my disease was completely quiet. My disease was finally in remission!! I stopped the antibiotic and I've been off all medication for close to ten years now. Hooray!!!

Earlier this summer I began to suffer from urgency again. This time, there was no diarhhea or bloody stool, but, instead, constipation with a great deal of pressure and an inability to distinguish my urinary sphincter from my bowel sphincter. I had a colonoscopy in June which showed no evidence of disease. But, my physician had to use a pediatric colonoscope because of a stricture that's formed. While the stricture was always there since the surgeries in '83, it was minor and never a problem. I could always easily evacuate and was never constipated. Also, the fecal leakage had worsened. And I've developed some small hemroids. My doctor suggested I try Rowasa for two weeks, but he & I are both relatively sure I will need surgery to fix my problems.

I meet with a surgeon next week to discuss my options. I am relatively certain that dilation is in my future. However, I need to stop the fecal leakage. It's become a real problem. Previously, a small wad of strategically placed toilet paper would usually keep me clean. That is no longer the case. I believe I am a candidate for anoplasty.

Does anyone know what I am in for? How long is recovery? Will a colostomy be necessary? Will I lose sexual function? Having lived through the pain I did in '83, I am sure I can take the pain again of the surgery (or at least I hope I can). But, am I simply substituting one set of problems for another set?

If anyone has experience with anoplasty & rectal dilation, I'd appreciate your thoughts. Thanks to all in advance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread