It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2007, 09:19 AM   #1
(female)

szsv HB User
I Survived Sphincteroplasty Part v

This thread is a continuation of "I Survived Sphincteroplasty Part 4"

Last edited by szsv; 09-05-2007 at 09:42 AM. Reason: RENAME

Old 09-06-2007, 05:27 PM   #2
(female)

miztee HB User
Re: I Survived Sphincteroplasty Part v

Thanks for continuing the thread, Suzan... I hope the others can find us!
Mary

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2007, 04:49 AM   #3
(female)

robinlake HB User

I found you. Thanks for starting the new thread. Looking forward to more good exchanges!
Robin

Old 09-07-2007, 04:49 AM   #4
(female)

campark HB User

Hello everybody. I rec'd a call from my Dr. yesterday and my surgery has been moved up one week, so it is scheduled for Sept. 27, which was the original date.
Kelley, I did call and if you remember they prescribed me to take those pills the day before for my bowel prep. I called her and told her my concerns with taking all those pills and they called in the drinking stuff. I know it is not pleasant, but not sure I could have taken all those pills.
I am very nervous and I am thinking of everything that I need to get done before the surgery. Halloween will be coming up, which means getting costumes for the kids, getting the pumpkins and carving them. I am sad that I most likely will not be a part of that this year, but I have to get this taken care of. There is no good time to do this surgery and it needs to be done.
One more thing. I know throughout all the posts this has been talked about, but if someone could give me a list of stuff that I will need right when I get home from the hospital, I would be grateful. I can think of the following:
gauze - what kind and how big? (lots of it according to everybody)
Ointment??
pull down shower head
squeeze bottle (left over from pregnancy)
motrin or tylenol?
certain kind of pillow to sit on?
Once again, thanks for any help you can give me. I hope this finds everybody in a good place and enjoying life.
Mindy

Old 09-07-2007, 06:21 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Kel123 HB User

Mindy,

I would have milk of mag, or miralax, and stool softeners on hand just in case, I think I had 4x4 gauze. I thought the cheaper thinner kind worked better than the real thick softer ones. I liked to bunch or fluff it up and put it between the cheeks. Lots of extra long absorbant maxi pads. You may want tucks pads--They felt good and helped with the itching post op. Also some moist toilet wipes. I liked to sit on a little couch throw pillow. It worked nicely for kitchen chairs ect. Lots of reading material. I needed a heater while going through the bowel prep. It made me very cold being a little person, and I had 3 in a week in a half. The portable heater was nice. My husband set it up in the bathroom so I wouldn't get cold doing the prep. I also had a towel wrapped around my shoulders. Make sure you have straws for the liquid, and plug your nose! I also lived in comfy lounge pants for about 4 months post op. Anything more than that bothered my surery and was uncomfortable. Keep us posted. I also did one of those meal maker places for meals for about 3 weeks.
Kelley

Old 09-07-2007, 07:39 AM   #6
(female)

miztee HB User

Mindy, to add to Kelley's list, and the list you've already made:
-A&D ointment to protect your bottom during prep. Apply it first!
-A Depends or Poise panty for trip to hospital - I leaked a LOT on the way there, from the prep
-many towels, not too big (I used face towels to dry my lower half after the 3x/day tub soaks)
-hair dryer for gentle drying between the cheeks after tub soaks or cleansing
-I liked a microbead pillow for sitting
-Desitin ointment if your skin gets raw (avoid incision area)

You'll not sit at all for a while, and when you do it will be one cheek or the other, or on your thigh bones. Do not use a donut pillow; it will stretch the incision. Move very carefully to lessen the chances of the incision opening (my MD said not to lie on my back for a week or so, I'm not sure why). My incision area was too tender to use gauze because I had developed an external yeast infection. I'm thinking the gauze use is if the incision opens??

Mary

Last edited by miztee; 09-07-2007 at 07:41 AM.

Old 09-07-2007, 04:49 PM   #7
(female)

Jou Jou HB User

Mindy,

Add to your list, immodium, for just in case. While you do not want to be constipated, uncontrolled diarrhea would also be bad. I had continuous diarrhea which was resolved with just one dose of immodium.

Also, did you mention a small mirror? I like the kind that had a little stand. I could sit it on the toilet lid and check the wound.

Good luck! JJ

Old 09-07-2007, 04:58 PM   #8
(female)

miztee HB User

Mindy, don't forget household help and loving support of friends & family! If someone offers to do something for you, let them. And don't be shy about asking. People want to help...grocery shopping, Halloween preps, etc. Maybe your kids could plan to have a halloween seance around you just lying there. It doesn't have to be what you did last year, or what you'll do next year. Plus, you'll be 4 weeks post op. You'll probably be doing just fine by then, but not going trick-or-treating. Just a thought...
Mary

Old 09-10-2007, 04:54 AM   #9
(female)

campark HB User

Thanks for all your comments and helpful information, you have no idea what it means to me to have all your support. While I wake up everyday, thinking of the surgery and scared to death, I really just can't wait to get it over with. I have lived with this for so long, I just want it to be done!
I picked up my rx for the drinking stuff to do the bowel prep the day before. What time do you suggest I start taking it? I know I can't eat anything after that, just wondering what everybody else did. Also, it says to drink a 8 oz glass then wait 10 minutes and do it again. Do you drink every 10 minutes until it is gone and do you mix it up the day before the put in the refrig so it is cold? Let me know what you think.
I hope everybody had a great weekend. Talk to everybody soon.
Mindy

Old 09-10-2007, 05:14 AM   #10
(female)

Jou Jou HB User

Mindy, The stuff is SLIGHTLY more palatable when cold, so either refrigerate it or pour it over ice. I also mixed in crystal light flavoring, which was suggested by my surgeon. It took at least 5 hours before the stuff began taking effect for me. Then, I was on the toilet for hours and hours. Everyone is different, but do allow yourself enough time. You have to have it drunk by midnight the night before, but the visits to the bathroom may continue for a while afterward. Good luck. JJ

The Following User Says Thank You to Jou Jou For This Useful Post:
txburl (10-19-2011)
Old 09-10-2007, 03:27 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

Kel123 HB User

Hi Mindy,

I mixed it and refridgerated it the day before. My instructions were to start drinking at 7 pm. I was totally done by 11pm with the stooling and was able to get a good nights rest. I slept on a chux pad just in case. I maybe got up once during the night with a liquid water spell and had some more in the morning. I wore my sons diaper between my legs to get to the hospital. You drink an 8 oz glass every 10 mins until done. Eat light meals the day before, and I was on clear liquids only the prep day with NPO once the prep began.good luck. We will all be thinking of you. You will be ok!
Kelley

Old 09-10-2007, 07:31 PM   #12
(female)

elizabeth1966 HB User

Hi ladies, I hope this post finds everyone doing well!

Mindy, best of luck to you on your upcoming surgery. The only other thing I can think of to add to the awesome suggestions the other ladies have made regarding what to have on hand after your surgery is Citrate of Magnesium. It is what my surgeon had me take when I had a soft impaction at 4 weeks post op.

Now for my dilema....I have been very pleased with my overall control since having the surgery almost 7 weeks ago. But, a few days ago, I had another bout with a "soft impaction" type issue. I felt immense pressure and knew I had to have a bm, but it would not come out. After taking Milk of Magnesia and a double-dose of Miralax, I was able to go, but it was very explosive. I felt a great deal of pain and bleed a good bit, but was able to pass everything. It was not even that formed or hard, so I guess it's just that the repaired sphincter is just very tight now. Anyway, I have had two accidents (the first I've had since surgery). I am mortified that I may have actually torn the repair. Is that possible? Today I have had some leaking, but no full-blown accidents. I am freaking out. I am going to call my surgeon tomorrow morning, but I thought I'd check with you all to get your thoughts. It seems crazy to me that I could have damaged the repair, but it seems like too much of a coincidence that I'm having these problems right after this happened.

I HAVE to believe that this has not all been for nothing. If the repair is so unstable that after over 6 weeks it can be significantly damaged by something like this, I am going to be devastated.

Sorry for my desperation, but you can imagine how I feel right now. I'll keep you posted, but please let me know your thoughts as well.

Thanks again for all your support and for just being here.

Take care, Elizabeth

Old 09-10-2007, 09:33 PM   #13
(female)

miztee HB User

Elizabeth, ever since my surgery May 8 it has taken me a long time each morning to expel a BM even tho they are not hard as in constipation. I have attributed that to the nerves slowly coming back, or the sphincter being tight (it's surely much tighter than pre-op). I've had to do toilet gymnastics and sometimes external manipulation to help it come, plus squeezing my abs & internal pelvic muscles really hard. Now hearing your story, I am very curious what your MD will have to say. I would think the explosive-ness and pain of your experience might have caused a small surface or mucosal tear - hence the bleeding, but the sphincter is a very strong solid muscle and should be pretty stable by now. Just guessing.

BTW, always after a difficult BM I have some leaking of stool-stained mucous - about 2-3 hrs or so. The more difficult the BM the more leaking I have and the longer it lasts.

Good luck, and let us know what you find out.
Mary

Last edited by miztee; 09-10-2007 at 09:39 PM.

Old 09-11-2007, 04:55 AM   #14
Veteran
(female)

Kel123 HB User

Hi Elizabeth,

Don't worry! I have had the same sort of thing happen. I think (just my personal opinion of course) that when you are impacted or have a hard time expelling a BM that your rectum actually dilates and I find that it takes a little while (a day or so)for the sphincter to come back to regular size. Also, milk of mag is notorious for making me a little leaky for a day or so after using it. I am 8 mos post op and still have a very difficult time passing soft pasty stool. I also have to do toilet gymnastics in order to get it all out sometimes. I have stopped my fiber and all related meds now (I am much further out surgery wise) and I found that I am having easier BM's as of lately. I think I was bulking up my stool too much, and that was what caused my anal fissure to develop. I am so paranoid about re-injuring the fissure, and seem to be doing great off the fiber. I go once every 2 to 3 days instead of every day, but it is still ok. Nice soft, formed and easier to expel. I don't think there is any way you could of damaged your sphincter.
Kelley

Old 09-11-2007, 05:07 AM   #15
(female)

campark HB User

Hello ladies. Thanks again for all the info. They gave me some flavor packets to put in with the liquid (cherry etc). Has anybody ever used these?
JJ, great idea on the crystal light. I will definitely keep that in mind. I will be making my trip to the store to get all my supplies. I am terribly nervous. If I think of something else, or if anybody had any other pointers to tell me, please let me know.

Mary, regarding your question about help. I will have help for 2 weeks after my surgery. I am just hoping after the 2 weeks, I will be able to start doing some things, within reason. It is going to drive me nuts to be in bed that whole time, but hearing your stories about how fragile the recovery is, I don't want to make any mistakes. I am sure I won't even want to do anything anyway. Another question... taking your baths everyday, how did you STEP into the tub without stretching your incision or ripping it open? We have a jacuzzi bath in the master bathroom, that is very deep and you really have to step into it. In the boys bathroom it is much lower and probably easier to get into. Any thoughts.
Thanks again...
Mindy

Closed Thread